Why become a member? ×

Please tell me why I should avoid getting a Rickenbacker!

Al Krow

10 minutes ago, andruca said:

I like how they sound. And after playing MANY thru' the years that's all the good things I can say about them. Don't like how they play, hate their bridges, dual truss rod crap (and many other terrible design decisions), and also hate how little R&D they put into it. Not only it's about time they start changing that abominable highly obsolete bridge, in general, it's about time they improve products throughout their lifetime (not frantically, simply fix what you do wrong and gets proven wrong with time, because there's many a thing). Yes, I know, the new 4003/S5 has a decent bridge, but also has these b/s triangular pickups, incompatible to anything. I'll probably never own a RIC (if you've held, say, a Musicman and a RIC side by side you will never be able  pay more for a RIC than a Musicman, I mean, the RIC feels CHEAP). But hey, people keep buying them, so no need for Rickenbacker to evolve a thing. And, contrary to the latest overhyped "woke" tendencies these days, I still think a free market to be a good idea and telling others how to buy feels both pointless and authoritarian to me, so to each their own, even tho' I think Dave's got it 100% right here...

I think we could make the same comment about many of the US bass manufacturers.....

But to be fair, when a supplier makes an 'improvement' how often is it met with criticism?  With Ric, the 4004 (cii and Laredo) arguably addresses many of the issues with a 4003, (proper bridge, no ironware, profiled body) but I bet the 4003 outsells it 10 to 1.  Not sure what the issue is supposed to be with the dual rods - I've always found them easy on a 4003 (but wouldn't have a 4001 for love nor money).

Fender still sell shed loads of AVIs despite the improvements on the modern lines.

I own a couple of MMs and a 4003, the MMs get a lot more play than the 4003 but it doesn't stop me enjoying the latter when I decide to use it 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, martthebass said:

I think we could make the same comment about many of the US bass manufacturers.....

But to be fair, when a supplier makes an 'improvement' how often is it met with criticism?  With Ric, the 4004 (cii and Laredo) arguably addresses many of the issues with a 4003, (proper bridge, no ironware, profiled body) but I bet the 4003 outsells it 10 to 1.  Not sure what the issue is supposed to be with the dual rods - I've always found them easy on a 4003 (but wouldn't have a 4001 for love nor money).

Fender still sell shed loads of AVIs despite the improvements on the modern lines.

I own a couple of MMs and a 4003, the MMs get a lot more play than the 4003 but it doesn't stop me enjoying the latter when I decide to use it 

Yep - RIC took all of the comments onboard and released the 4004, which addressed them.

Guess what? Everybody still went and bought the 4003!

The reason RIC still make the 4003 is because that's what people want to buy.

Me, I like the way they play, the dual truss rods (which work as described), the bridge/tailpiece (I've tried the others and put back the stock one), the incremental design tweaks, the quality of the finish (I picked up a Ric pickguard on the weekend and could tell immediately it was an original).

It's a 60 year-old design which is still the best on the market.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Music Man - an ugly, big heavy awkward lump, with a neck like a tree-trunk, a gonky looking round pickguard, and one tuner on the wrong side, just to make it difficult for you - pah!

The ones I've tried weren't heavy and the necks are fine unless you like Jazz basses. Certainly not Gibson Les Paul bass neck baseball bat. Yeah, okay, One of the tuners is under the neck and the scratchplate is a bit odd, but they're not rubbish instruments. I hasten to say, I don't own one and do own a Rick. Both different, both with different tricks and sounds. I'd happily have one in double humbucker variant.

8 hours ago, martthebass said:

Haven’t they stopped making the 4004? Could be wrong, but I thought they had. I always bring up the 4004 and it’s “improvements” to the naysayers, to be met with crickets. 

I’ve never had issues with the twin rods either, and most people’s issues stem from not knowing the correct way to adjust the older ‘70s rods and thus bodging it. FWIW Alembic also use dual rods and I don’t see too many people complaining about those. What’s more, Ric rods, old or new, are field replaceable. 

FWIW I wouldn’t say a Ray is better than a Ric or vice versa. They’re completely different. But having played hundreds of examples of both, I know which I prefer, and it ain’t the Ray. 😉

8 hours ago, andruca said:

I like how they sound. And after playing MANY thru' the years that's all the good things I can say about them. Don't like how they play, hate their bridges, dual truss rod crap (and many other terrible design decisions), and also hate how little R&D they put into it. Not only it's about time they start changing that abominable highly obsolete bridge, in general, it's about time they improve products throughout their lifetime (not frantically, simply fix what you do wrong and gets proven wrong with time, because there's many a thing). Yes, I know, the new 4003/S5 has a decent bridge, but also has these b/s triangular pickups, incompatible to anything. I'll probably never own a RIC (if you've held, say, a Musicman and a RIC side by side you will never be able  pay more for a RIC than a Musicman, I mean, the RIC feels CHEAP). But hey, people keep buying them, so no need for Rickenbacker to evolve a thing. And, contrary to the latest overhyped "woke" tendencies these days, I still think a free market to be a good idea and telling others how to buy feels both pointless and authoritarian to me, so to each their own, even tho' I think Dave's got it 100% right here...

That guy is a complete cockwomble. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/10/2019 at 10:14, Sarlscharisma said:

Nothing sounds like a Ric growl and along with it the iconic 50s design is the reason why it’s lasted so long and will continue to do so.  Here’s my little friend...

FA0D3A2F-6174-46A8-9A23-95B733BF944A.thumb.jpeg.c5bdbb299f3e1fa477668cb4fe597da4.jpeg

I do love a growl on my basses! Be interested to know whether you've ever compared a Ric growl to a Warwick MEC growl or an Ibby Nordstrand Big Single growl?

1 hour ago, prowla said:

I got it on ebay. 
It had a zero-mod fitted, if you recall from a couple of years back. 

Think it was advertised on eBay by the same seller. May not be the same bass but the fingerboard looks familiar. Is this yours?:

F14EDD5A-FC57-453D-A202-C801B590C9F5.jpeg

Edited by 4000

54 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I do love a growl on my basses! Be interested to know whether you've ever compared a Ric growl to a Warwick MEC growl or an Ibby Nordstrand Big Single growl?

I’ve had all 3. The Ric growl is IMO very different to the others IMO, but the construction and pickup placement are also very different. I’ve always found with the Ibbys and Warwicks I have to really boost the lows and mids to get what I want out of them, although it is a good sound. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prowla said:

It had a zero-mod fitted, if you recall from a couple of years back. 

I'm thinking about getting a zero mod thumb rest thingy for my 2018 4003S. I stuck a post in the items wanted section a couple of days ago and it's had 6 views lol. Are they a worthwhile addition (I usually play my Pic aggressively with a pick as that is what they are for but it's nice to have the option). if anyone has one they no longer need please send me a PM. (sorry for the thread hijack but I did try to dress it up as a discussion point  😷

54 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I’ve had all 3. The Ric growl is IMO very different to the others IMO, but the construction and pickup placement are also very different. I’ve always found with the Ibbys and Warwicks I have to really boost the lows and mids to get what I want out of them, although it is a good sound. 

Interesting to get your thoughts on that. On an Ibby it's pretty easy to boost the lows (just a touch in my case) and mids using the on board 3 band EQ and mid-point-centre selector switch.

The Ibby, tbf, is IMO soooo much more comfortable to play than a Ric with its fast neck and lightweight body, but obviously less iconic!  

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting to get your thoughts on that. On an Ibby it's pretty easy to boost the lows (just a touch in my case) and mids using the on board 3 band EQ and mid-point-centre selector switch.

The Ibby, tbf, is IMO soooo much more comfortable to play than a Ric with its fast neck and lightweight body, but obviously less iconic!  

Yeah, the onboard eq is very useful for that. I play mainly with a plectrum and found I had to boost the onboard lows and mids almost fully to get any beef. Same with Warwicks. 

Actually, the reason I sold my Ibby SR (a Ltd edition buckeye Burl 5 string) was because I found the body shape uncomfortable! I keep toying with getting another SR but the truth is the body shape hurts my arm. I had the same problem with my Ric 4004. As I’ve said elsewhere, for me the Ric is the most comfortable bass out there. I have nerve problems in my right arm that are aggravated by almost everything else. 

FWIW my Rics have necks every bit as nice as the Ibbys IMO. The ‘72 necks are different than later necks, comparatively wide and flat feeling.

This was my 4004:

6A9002A6-05D6-4B04-BE5B-8C1A2AE5AC25.jpeg

• Like 4

Handsome bass!

But 5 strings and 24 frets is defo more my cup of tea these days, which I'm fortunate that my herd largely offer. In fact, my Ibby Portamento offers 5 strings and a very accessible THIRTY fret range, which is ridiculous right?

Just reminded myself why I'm still lacking a Ric 😉

The Ibby was my last dabble with more than 4 strings; because of my tonal requirements the only 5 I think I’d consider now is a Ric, although the 16.5mm spacing of the Ibby 5s matches two of my three 4 strings. I prefer 16.5mm spacing. 

I really, really like Ibby SRs though, comfort issues aside. I’d be quite happy to have a bunch of them, assuming I could get round the body shape thing. They’re great value for money, play well, sound good and look nice, and the low weight of most of them is a big plus (although to be fair my 5 wasn’t much different weight-wise than my Rics).

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1