Why become a member? ×

Please tell me why I should avoid getting a Rickenbacker!

Al Krow

23 minutes ago, mr zed said:

As a follow up from this, did the op buy a Ric? If so, what did you go for a 4003 or a 4003S? I currently have an inexplicable desire to buy a Ric and am struggling to decide between the 2 models. Played both yesterday. The 4003 is just classic so the preferred option however the stripped down 4003S is arguably more comfortable in a gig situation. To be fair, I was sat down so need to return and put them on a strap.

Thanks for asking. I didn't go for a Ric in the end; I found them a touch too spendy (both new and second hand) for what they seem to deliver - but maybe I was being a cheapskate? More importantly, I've been moving from 4 to 5 strings in my bass purchases and 5ers are not really a Ric thing. So my GAS eventually found it's outlet on this:

image.png.6805a20e16f2231eafb4d3f9b636e61f.png

26 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks for asking. I didn't go for a Ric in the end; I found them a touch too spendy (both new and second hand) for what they seem to deliver - but maybe I was being a cheapskate? More importantly, I've been moving from 4 to 5 strings in my bass purchases and 5ers are not really a Ric thing. So my GAS eventually found it's outlet on this:

Nice! Is that one of the Nathan East jobbies?

2 minutes ago, mr zed said:

Nice! Is that one of the Nathan East jobbies?

Thank you and it is indeed! Originally the property of the impressive young @TJ Spicer of this manor who bought it new a couple of years back from my favourite bass shop in town (Wunjos) so an added affinity there for me!

In terms of your Ric GAS; it's hardly "inexplicable" - there is just something about a Ric that just says "I'm special". And if it's good enough for these guys... :) :

Image result for bass players with Rickenbacker bass

image.jpeg.e6222ba126230fe41f497fd2ea878c7a.jpegImage result for bass players with Rickenbacker bassImage result for bass players with Rickenbacker bass

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thank you and it is indeed! Originally the property of the impressive young @TJ Spicer of this manor who bought it new a couple of years back from my favourite bass shop in town (Wunjos) so an added affinity there for me!

In terms of your Ric GAS; it's hardly "inexplicable" - there is just something about a Ric that just says "I'm special". And if it's good enough for these guys... :) :

Image result for bass players with Rickenbacker bass

image.jpeg.e6222ba126230fe41f497fd2ea878c7a.jpegImage result for bass players with Rickenbacker bassImage result for bass players with Rickenbacker bass

Jim Lea's playing a John Birch in that pic.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2017 at 22:58, AndyTravis said:

Two words...

Right Forearm.

Yes, but this is a 4003S. That S makes a big difference as the top edge of the bass is rounded off just where your right forearm rests when playing. Therefore your skin is not flayed from your arm whilst playing.

I have a 4003S and found that once I had adjusted my strap length correctly the bass sits very nicely and my right forearm is very comfortable. 

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yet I would say for the majority of those people, those aren't the iconic basses they are known for.

To anyone that hasn't tried a ric, you really should 

I agree that the 4003s is probably more comfortable and I prefer the dotted board.

Ive got a 4003 and it's all about the tone.

I have not been able to find any other bass that can replicate that 4003 ric tone with both pups, it's truly unique, instant Chris squire.

If you get a good one, unlike Fenders there seems to be no advantage in buying vintage, you should be able to buy at around £1200 and sell back for the same, after you've satisfied your curiosity.

I’ve really gone off mine of late. It’s very heavy compared to my two J basses, and the neck is somewhat chunky (massive understatement)

Soundwise it’s never delivered on the Ric tone either for some weird reason. 

They are bloody uncomfortable to play especially if you don’t use a pic imo. 

I’ll never sell it mind

2 hours ago, drlargepants said:

I’ve really gone off mine of late. It’s very heavy compared to my two J basses, and the neck is somewhat chunky (massive understatement)

Soundwise it’s never delivered on the Ric tone either for some weird reason. 

They are bloody uncomfortable to play especially if you don’t use a pic imo. 

I’ll never sell it mind

Sorry about that.

ive had two and they do vary

my first, an early 4003, did not have the tone

but my second and current 4003, a 2004, has "that" tone in spades 

both were jazz type weight at 9/10lbish 

think about changing yours for another

On 18/07/2018 at 09:09, Al Krow said:

Wise decision 👍

22 hours ago, gareth said:

To anyone that hasn't tried a ric, you really should 

I agree that the 4003s is probably more comfortable and I prefer the dotted board.

Ive got a 4003 and it's all about the tone.

I agree, but would extend it to 'you should try everything'. I tried a ric and liked it, it was fine. At £500-800 I would buy one without too much though, but for me its not a £1k+ bass,  and as they are that sort of price I will never have one.

4 hours ago, drlargepants said:

Yeah I paid £800 new for mine, so made sense. I certainly wouldn’t buy one new now. 

It’s a case queen these days sadly. 

They've gone up in price a huge amount over the last 3-4 years as well. First time I looked they were hovering around the £1200/1300 new mark.. 

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

They've gone up in price a huge amount over the last 3-4 years as well. First time I looked they were hovering around the £1200/1300 new mark.. 

I believe this is because they make a lot less of them now, something to do with the way they are made and state law. 

Emissions perhaps ? I really can’t remember. 

They’re certainly iconic, mine is undoubtably beautiful looking and beautifully made, they’re absolutely not for everyone though. (If anything actually is!)

Just now, drlargepants said:

I believe this is because they make a lot less of them now, something to do with the way they are made and state law. 

Emissions perhaps ? I really can’t remember. 

They’re certainly iconic, mine is undoubtably beautiful looking and beautifully made, they’re absolutely not for everyone though. (If anything actually is!)

They make less so they can continue to use full fat nitro paint and not exceed their limits for emissions in California and pay a huge tax/fine.

Their unwillingness to change any part of their formula means that the logical route was make a lot less and charge a lot more. 

1 minute ago, drlargepants said:

That’s it, thank you !

Well they’re not exactly about innovation are they ? Seems to be working for them. 

Opinions fall into two camps - Wonderfully unique and quirky, or stuck in the past and pointless.

I like them. I wouldn't drop £2k+ on one, and I really would like an early 70's 4001... but not at current prices. A 74 4001 would cost me a lot more than I paid for my 74 Precision..

• Haha 1

Certainly working for them currently, but I think as a long term option it is a bad move. They are iconic because the were the instruments played by the youths in groups of iconic groups. Those groups when they start don't have a great deal of money, if you put your instruments into the Gibson custom shop / stockbroker and retired banker toy, you make money now, you don't get seen by the people who are going to be buying things to emulate their icons. 

When I was growing up, a lot of my bass heros played them, so I still love the look, if not the instruments themselves. They were something I wanted. When I watched top of the pops, at least one in 3 groups would have one. Now? doesn't seem to be the case any more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

Certainly working for them currently, but I think as a long term option it is a bad move. They are iconic because the were the instruments played by the youths in groups of iconic groups. Those groups when they start don't have a great deal of money, if you put your instruments into the Gibson custom shop / stockbroker and retired banker toy, you make money now, you don't get seen by the people who are going to be buying things to emulate their icons. 

When I was growing up, a lot of my bass heros played them, so I still love the look, if not the instruments themselves. They were something I wanted. When I watched top of the pops, at least one in 3 groups would have one. Now? doesn't seem to be the case any more.

You could apply that to Burst Les Pauls, Stingrays (to a lesser extent) and quite a few other iconic guitars & basses. 

Last band I remember using one was The Hives and that’s not exactly current. 

Fads come and go all the time though. 

True. But @Woodinblack raises a really good point. For a fad to happen, there needs to be a point of entry for the trend setters - who tend to be not exactly well off..

Fender have Squier and MiM - lots of options from £150 - £1000 

Gibson have Epiphone, and also some of their Tributes are under £500 - certainly used.

Just looked on eBay - I can't see a used or new 4001/4003 for under £1k and most go for over £1300 - if you want a specific colour you may have to go up to £1700/£1800

That's not a good price point for getting your product used by the up and coming trendies which turns it into an aspirational product.

Good point. Some would argue though that by having cheaper replicas you dilute the brand and lessen its desirability and exclusiveness. 

We’re very lucky now in some respects you can easily get a serviceable guitar for under £200. It’s certainly wasn’t like that in the early eighties. Most of the cheap ones I had were utter gash. Marlin guitars for example. 

Even Epiphones are quite good now by all accounts 😉 

Id always wanted a Ric as Cliff Burton played one a lot in the early days, so all being said the OP is absolutely right and I’m just rambling !

Good point. Some would argue though that by having cheaper replicas you dilute the brand and lessen its desirability and exclusiveness. 

We’re very lucky now in some respects you can easily get a serviceable guitar for under £200. It’s certainly wasn’t like that in the early eighties. Most of the cheap ones I had were utter gash. Marlin guitars for example. 

Even Epiphones are quite good now by all accounts 😉 

Id always wanted a Ric as Cliff Burton played one a lot in the early days, so all being said the OP is absolutely right and I’m just rambling !

They only dilute the brand if they are rubbish. A good quality Squier VM bass will plug someone right into the brand and then the aspiration starts - all part of the GAS - leads to MiM, US Standard, Custom Shop...

• Like 2