Why become a member? ×

Please tell me why I should avoid getting a Rickenbacker!

Al Krow

This is a bass I fell in love with the minute I saw Pete Quaife playing his with the Kinks. They just look so damn' cool and the fact that two of my heroes (Macca and Randy Meisner) used theirs to such good advantage is also a big factor for me. It's my favourite 'look' of all time and definitely the best bass I never owned. Too late now as s-s is the only thing that works for me nowadays!!

[i]GET ONE WHILE YOU CAN![/i]

[i]PS I also luuuurve Marmite :D[/i]

If you have it that bad , you might need to get it out of your system, Get the full blown USA version (buy used).
Like a lot of the others on here I had to have one, but once the honeymoon period was over I realised it wasn't for me. Looked great, sounded ok, wasn't comfortable for me to play.

I`ve played a couple of Rics, really liked them, however I can provide a 2 word answer to the question:

John Hall

I wouldn`t give him any of my money, additionally selling a Ric on isn`t made particularly easy due to him and the antics of the Ric Stormtroopers.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1497517768' post='3318757']
This is one of those occasions I was taught about as a child where if you can't say something nice it's better to say nothing at all... :mellow:
[/quote]

Yeah but this is basschat

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1497520599' post='3318798']
I`ve played a couple of Rics, really liked them, however I can provide a 2 word answer to the question:

John Hall

I wouldn`t give him any of my money, additionally selling a Ric on isn`t made particularly easy due to him and the antics of the Ric Stormtroopers.
[/quote]Sterling Ball isn't a whole lot better either. I agree the selling debacle is just plain silly, who is to say that the high st shops aren't pulling a fast one. If you own something, it's yours to sell. As ever, buyer beware.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1497466017' post='3318481']
So apart from the neck, body, finish and some of the electronics it was identical to a standard rick ? :blink:
[/quote]

Well let's see. Same woods, same construction, same pickups, same hardware, same pots, caps etc as before and simply converted to stereo like a standard 4001 (which is both mono & stereo, the 4001S being mono only). Basically it was gradually shaved a bit thinner - unintentionally I might add - and was refinished in a non-Ric colour. If either of those means that it could hardly be classed as Ric then there are a million guitars out there that are no longer Strats, Teles, Precisions, Jazzes, etc etc. I better let my mate know that the Strat he shaved the neck on and repainted a la Eddie Van Halen is no longer a Strat. He'll be mortified.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1497520599' post='3318798']

John Hall

[/quote]
If you buy a used one, he won't get your money.

So that invalidates your argument there...

Edited by prowla

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1497501950' post='3318661']
Are you sure it was the bass that sounded good not the amp? I'm told that they are really difficult to re-fret.
[/quote]
I've never tried re-fretting an amp!

As for the bass; I've always said a Ric sounds like a Ric even when it's not plugged in.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1497543670' post='3319028']
If you buy a used one, he won't get your money.

So that invalidates your argument there...
[/quote]

I agree if a used one is bought then JH gets none of my cash, but moving on said used one isn`t as simple as moving on other makes. Making both parts of my argument valid - I wouldn`t buy a new one to prevent JH getting any of my money, and a used one is more difficult to move on - not many sold on here for example, a forum specifically for bass. I should add I`m not a Ric-hater, both of the ones I`ve played for a fair amount of time I really liked, played great, sounded greater, so I`m not knocking the instruments, just the Stasi way the company police them.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1497557833' post='3319155']
I agree if a used one is bought then JH gets none of my cash, but moving on said used one isn`t as simple as moving on other makes. Making both parts of my argument valid - I wouldn`t buy a new one to prevent JH getting any of my money, and a used one is more difficult to move on - not many sold on here for example, a forum specifically for bass. I should add I`m not a Ric-hater, both of the ones I`ve played for a fair amount of time I really liked, played great, sounded greater, so I`m not knocking the instruments, just the Stasi way the company police them.
[/quote]
What's the issue with selling one?

I think the company is protecting its intellectual property against forgers & fakers; you wouldn't complain if software counterfeiters or producers of fake Rolexes were taken to task, would you?

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1497526328' post='3318853']

Could you elaborate?
[/quote]If someone posts anything even mildly critical of an MM product on the MM forum he goes out his way to crush the poster, no subtlety, no seeing it from their POV, just nasty. Quite like a certain Mr Trump.

Just goes to show that being good at making stuff doesn't necessarily mean you are good at PR. It's a shame that makers feel the need to protect their products so aggressively. Whilst I understand the frustration they must feel it does seem that in the case of Ricks in particular it backfires as it makes it hard for owners of genuine kit to sell it on which could put off potential buyers.

It has alway been the case that there are good and bad examples of customer service but as the old saying goes, someone who gets good service tells one somebody, someone who gets bad service tells everybody. And that is much easier to do in the Internet age.

Lozz, you don't see any for sale on BassChat because of JH's heavy handed approach to protecting his company's copyrights. Basically, the sale of Rickenbacker's and RickenFaker's is banned on the board.

There are other outlets available if you want to sell a Rickenbacker, eBay, Gumtree, Other Forums, Facebook groups etc.

The business methods of Mr Hall aside, I love the look of Rics, the newer walnut ones especially. I had a 4001 decades ago, my first 'proper' bass (Jetglo, all Geddy Lee's fault :D ) for several years.

If you've played one you love, and it feels and sounds right, then just buy the thing. I'd play it first, though: for my 50th a couple of years ago I bought a brand new walnut 4003, and sent it back (thank Buddha for GAK's returns policy) the next day. Rose tinted spectacles about the playing ergonomics, (yep, right inner arm, and that pointless (if lovely) bridge pickup surround) and tone-wise, after I'd A-B'd it with the basses I have, it just didn't compete. The very very bottom line, though, was it simply wasn't good enough for a £1600 (at the time) bass. QC issues aplenty. I very likely got a duff one, but at that price point duff ones shouldn't leave the factory. I was gutted.

It did look lovely, though - if was a rich man I'd have kept it and hung it on the wall, but my basses earn their living :)

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1497594397' post='3319270']
Lozz, you don't see any for sale on BassChat because of JH's heavy handed approach to protecting his company's copyrights. Basically, the sale of Rickenbacker's and RickenFaker's is banned on the board. There are other outlets available if you want to sell a Rickenbacker, eBay, Gumtree, Other Forums, Facebook groups etc.
[/quote]

Wow! Are you saying that RBs are banned from re-sale on BC?!! How can that be justified or even legal?

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1497598087' post='3319289']
The business methods of Mr Hall aside, I love the look of Rics, the newer walnut ones especially. I had a 4001 decades ago, my first 'proper' bass (Jetglo, all Geddy Lee's fault :D ) for several years. If you've played one you love, and it feels and sounds right, then just buy the thing. I'd play it first, though: for my 50th a couple of years ago I bought a brand new walnut 4003, and sent it back (thank Buddha for GAK's returns policy) the next day. Rose tinted spectacles about the playing ergonomics, (yep, right inner arm, and that pointless (if lovely) bridge pickup surround) and tone-wise, after I'd A-B'd it with the basses I have, it just didn't compete. The very very bottom line, though, was it simply wasn't good enough for a £1600 (at the time) bass. QC issues aplenty. I very likely got a duff one, but at that price point duff ones shouldn't leave the factory. I was gutted. It did look lovely, though - if was a rich man I'd have kept it and hung it on the wall, but my basses earn their living :)
[/quote]

Muzz - that is SUCH a good (and balanced) summary of things to be wary of when thinking of getting a Rick - not least in that the walnut 4003 with a "pointless (if lovely) bridge pickup surround" was the very model I was looking at. Which of your other basses in the same price bracket did it fail to compete with tonally and in what areas in particular?

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1497599380' post='3319302']
Wow! Are you saying that RBs are banned from re-sale on BC?!! How can that be justified or even legal?
[/quote]

Correct, as pointed out at the top of all sale pages. Because this is a private forum the rules can be anything decided by the owners, there are certainly no legal requirements for anything to be permissible.

It is not up to the administrators of BC to ensure that all Rics that would be sold here are genuine, and to be threatened with prosecution if some of them are clones or fakers, and as a result, it is best not to allow Rics at all, real or clones.
If you have ever dealt with Mr Hall, you would understand - do a search.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1497374511' post='3317677']
Walnut is a great tone wood. I actually think Ricks are pretty flexible and I like the sound, just not the looks, ergonomics or the CEO.
[/quote]

Much like ped, I think they can sound really good, and I actually like the looks of some, in an "they're so ugly that... I like them" (maybe this came from looking at myself in the mirror every morning :P)... but the playing feel and especially the CEO... urgh. I just would find it very very very hard to pay for something knowing that person will receive a good chunk of it.

If I really wanted one I'd get a used one... and I have considered it in the past. But that CEO still puts me off, and I haven't. Don't get me wrong, if I *really* wanted one I would. I'm not particularly fond of the main guy at Ernie Ball MusicMan either... but that won't stop me playing Stingrays. However, I don't want a Rick so much that makes me ignore their CEO. That's just me.

Hey Al,

Well, it's all very subjective, and the basses I have at the moment cover a lot of ground and are all active - they all have John East Retro EQs, which have sweepable mids, and I can get everything I could need out of them. My two main Shukers are both (new) in the price bracket, and the Dingwall is close. The 4003w I had (and again, it was only one, I was probably just unlucky) unplugged didn't feel or play well enough - I think I said (on here) at the time, if I'd closed my eyes I'd have said it was a sub-£500 bass: it didn't zing or sing, and if a bass doesn't do that, no amount of plugging in and EQ and amplification's gonna fix it.

All IMHO, YMMV, etc, etc, of course - I'd reiterate if you've played one that you liked, that worked for you, then there's no reason not to buy it.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1497397077' post='3317889']
I always though Rickenbackers were old clank machines until I heard someone playing Dune Tune by Level 42 on one - then realised a lot of my favourite soul funk bassists from the early 70s played them (Larry Graham for one). They're quite versatile.

[media]http://youtu.be/McBSPmqi5fo[/media]

As for the CEO - well he simply takes issue with people making unlicensed copies of his instruments - and can you blame him - he's more interested in protecting his customers and his business rather than the knock off merchants and theirs. I don't see that being odd in any way - maybe the zeal with which individuals have been chased is a little surprising. Very strange some manufacturers never bothered to protect their designs and probably now regret those decisions.
[/quote]

Nice sound from that Rick... shame he got a blegh Stingray sound which makes the Stingray sound terrible by comparison... but, anyway, lovely Rick sound. Shame he can't afford a shirt after buying that bass :P

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1497528466' post='3318874']
Well let's see. Same woods, same construction, same pickups, same hardware, same pots, caps etc as before and simply converted to stereo like a standard 4001 (which is both mono & stereo, the 4001S being mono only). Basically it was gradually shaved a bit thinner - unintentionally I might add - and was refinished in a non-Ric colour. If either of those means that it could hardly be classed as Ric then there are a million guitars out there that are no longer Strats, Teles, Precisions, Jazzes, etc etc. I better let my mate know that the Strat he shaved the neck on and repainted a la Eddie Van Halen is no longer a Strat. He'll be mortified.
[/quote]

Sure, although Chris does say both the body and neck were shaved such that there was a significant weight reduction. Let's also not forget the 4kOhm bridge pickup which he states is very low output and trebley compared with the stock pickup. Probably an early example of a Rickenbacker QA fail.. :D If you like Ricks, that's fine.. However let's not pretend that even when the factory tries to make a standard product, the results are consistent.. Maybe it's character, but if other manufacturers can do it right consistently then I don't understand why Rickenbacker can't.. Apparently they ship the basses from the factory without them being set up (how the hell do you test a bass without doing this?) because "there is not enough time" ...

I get that you like them. :)

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1497557833' post='3319155']
[/quote]

Not selling them in this forum is because of a policy instated due to their CEO's antics about copies... it just made life easier (there's lots to read about it and I'm sure you remember all that). You can sell them elsewhere. As long as it's legit, and it shows, their CEO won't bother anybody about it. EBay and Gumtree, and other places, are absolutely fine.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1497595892' post='3319274']
Yes, I'm aware that he polices his board quite 'vigourously', but lets not forget that's it's his board to police and unlike Basschat it relates directly to the product that he manufactures and sells, so I would kind of expect it to be that way. Being a member there myself, for the most part, it's a nice environment to be in. There are some very helpful people there, but much like any other board, there are also some complete idiots and I don't see why they should be given any more time than anywhere else. Personally, whenever I've had an issue with any of my MM basses, their customer service has been lightning fast, including sending out replacement parts. I would much rather see Sterling on the board getting involved rather than being some faceless management type raking in the cash. I am a Rickenbacker owner and have been for decades, but I wouldn't recognise John Hall if he stood in front of me.
[/quote]

The thing is you don't need to criticise their instruments. Suggest replacing anything in them... say, a pickup... and observe the sycophantic mob descending on you with nasty comments. That sort of thing. And then the big guy joins himself too often. It's just ugly.
Yeah, there are nice and helpful people there... but I find the atmosphere ugly, which is why I stopped going there and I only go back if I have a specific question that the helpful ones can talk about while the sycophantic fanbois pass me over looking for another target to crap on...

God I hate that place... shivers. I love the bass (my Stingray is the one bass I'd keep if I could only have one), I love their consistent production... I hate the personality.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1497603228' post='3319368']

The thing is you don't need to criticise their instruments. Suggest replacing anything in them... say, a pickup... and observe the sycophantic mob descending on you with nasty comments. That sort of thing. And then the big guy joins himself too often. It's just ugly.
Yeah, there are nice and helpful people there... but I find the atmosphere ugly, which is why I stopped going there and I only go back if I have a specific question that the helpful ones can talk about while the sycophantic fanbois pass me over looking for another target to crap on...

God I hate that place... shivers. I love the bass (my Stingray is the one bass I'd keep if I could only have one), I love their consistent production... I hate the personality.
[/quote]

You need to come over to the Dingwall forum - it's a lovely, warm, supportive canadian sort of place :D