Why become a member? ×

Isle of Wight 2017 Bass Heavy

jammys

[quote name='jammys' timestamp='1497306397' post='3317253']
Did anyone go to the festival? Did anyone think (strangely enough) that the bass output on the main stage was way to much on a number of occasions?
[/quote]

It was awful. Not just the main stage. Monitoring was terrible too.

Its the same at nearly every outdoor show I've worked at over the last few years (Im a photographer for my sins!). Can anyone explain the deal with those bloody great subs below the front of the stage....reckon I've yet to hear a nice balance anywhere in any field that I've stood in, and Ive seen some experienced session bassists playing who all end up sounding like boom and mud......hopeless.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1497340217' post='3317341']
Everyone is a sound engineer these days :ph34r:
[/quote]

I'm not sure you need to be a sound engineer to know whether instruments are in balance. I would have thought It's pretty much an essential skill for any musician who plays with other musicians.

I used to live near Stratford upon Avon, about 5 miles away from the old Phoenix festival at Long Martston.

All you could ever hear of the festival was Boom Boom Boom to various rhythms.

When the wind was blowing in the right direction you might hear the occasional crowd roar.

Bass frequencies travel.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1497478485' post='3318616']
I used to live near Stratford upon Avon, about 5 miles away from the old Phoenix festival at Long Martston.

All you could ever hear of the festival was Boom Boom Boom to various rhythms.

When the wind was blowing in the right direction you might hear the occasional crowd roar.

Bass frequencies travel.
[/quote]

Ah, the Phoenix Festival, such happy memories (I think!)

[quote name='super al' timestamp='1497481051' post='3318637']

Ah, the Phoenix Festival, such happy memories (I think!)
[/quote]

The one year I went, I saw Alanis Morissette turn out an awful set (she kept playing terrible harmonica solos at every opportunity, she literally played the same three notes on every song, in a slightly different order).

But I did see the Manics turn out a pristine set, then, after Alanis I was just in time to see the Prodigy in their full glory in the big tent.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1497345519' post='3317389']
Strange. On the Download thread we've been saying pretty much the same thing. Way too much on the drums/bass with guitars sometimes lost in the mix
[/quote]

where can I hire this engineer ? :)

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1497483530' post='3318653']
The one year I went, I saw Alanis Morissette turn out an awful set (she kept playing terrible harmonica solos at every opportunity, she literally played the same three notes on every song, in a slightly different order)...
[/quote]

No you didn't just say that!

[attachment=247336:AlarmistMarmoset.png]
"OMG!!!" - Alarmist Marmoset

[quote name='jammys' timestamp='1497306397' post='3317253']
Did anyone go to the festival? Did anyone think (strangely enough) that the bass output on the main stage was way to much on a number of occasions?
[/quote]

Yes I went. I thought the live sound was very good at the main stage and I liked hearing the bass. On occasion the kick was very prominent, but again I like that. Miles better than at Hyde Park where they pretty much filter out everything below 400khz so the bass players really don't need to turn up and the kick drum is pointless.

If I had one criticism then it would be that the vocals were often a little low in the mix. I never watch it on TV so I don't know how it comes across but live the IoW is often affected by strong winds too which affects the experience.