Why become a member? ×

*NEW* Jim Fleeting 9 String

ARGH

Jim's in the USA right now..

In no order..It has 145 pieces of wood...

Bubinga,Zebrano,Mahogany,Redwood (Top),Wenge,Buckeye burl,and Ebony...for the nut.

Scale is 34",Jims customwound the Humbucker (with single coil push/pull on the volume pot)
2 Bnd Kent Armstrong EQ (Stacked)....

Oh and the P/U Cover...thats 30 pieces of wood....

[quote name='ARGH' post='322171' date='Nov 4 2008, 08:40 PM']Jim's in the USA right now..

In no order..It has 145 pieces of wood...

Bubinga,Zebrano,Mahogany,Redwood (Top),Wenge,Buckeye burl,and Ebony...for the nut.

Scale is 34",Jims customwound the Humbucker (with single coil push/pull on the volume pot)
2 Bnd Kent Armstrong EQ (Stacked)....

Oh and the P/U Cover...thats 30 pieces of wood....[/quote]

Ah, "the sound of glue" :)

[quote name='Galilee' post='322616' date='Nov 5 2008, 01:11 PM']I should think that thing fell out of the ugly tree and hit 145 pieces of wood on the way down.[/quote]
and was cut into musical finery by the BEST Luthier in these small sheltered Isles....

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='322794' date='Nov 5 2008, 04:58 PM']Why is Jim Fleeting the best (in your view) ARGH?[/quote]

Nothing is ever a problem for Jim...

His enthusiasm for building is infectious,anyone who's met him knows that,the guys a total mensch,he has no limits,as a builder in my eyes,theres no "This is what I do so tough sh*t.." or "My models look like this and I wont change that"...He has a few standard shapes that he likes if you are interested ,but there isnt a strict model....When I wanted to make the 9,I couldnt get anyone interested,and in a few cases I was ACTIVELY discouraged in the idea,even trying..by a few UK 'Name' makers.

One luthier stated that I/we were/was a f***ing idiot/s for even wanting one (a 9 string)...

Adding that,given the amount of sh*t and opposition we had to come across,and deal with..String makers.."We dont make them to those guages AT ALL (Check the website ,guess what it says different)..P/U manufacturers..parts..to be frank if it was not for a few really friendly guys in the USA,I dont think some things just wouldnt have happened...and if we had a hurdle,Jim crossed it...No-one willing to build a Pickup (£200+ quote for a single coil with no cover)..f*** it,We'll make one...the bridge...mad idea,never been tried on an ERB at that point as I know....I love Thompsons...Jim loves Thompsons...I wanted it,it was my idea..we went for it,its there..its in tune..and its great,people sneer,but I know its perfect,because I own it!

The D-tuner....?? My joke,on how low CAN you go.

He's quick,he does this fulltime,8 days a week,and its not just Guitars,he builds acoustics,Dulcimers,its got strings,Jim can fix it...

His P/U's are amazing,matching woods,a split P for a 6 string??? I dont know anyone that makes one,at least in the UK...

I recall an awful lot of derision and ignorance,when I first said he was the best,one person made a judgment on his skills basing their opinion on a poor quality photograph taken from Ebay.....One person babbled about "I would never buy a Bass from a Luthier that had'nt made a prototype"...f*** prototypes,build the real thing,If the instrument ISNT playable,and to the standards YOU asked for..Jim bins the lot and starts again....

Jim's fed up of commenting on his creations,because..basically,what he says or rather types here gets/is ignored,and most people are up there arses (my words not his) and know f***all about instrument making to really know what they are talking about,its less about making 'Build diary' pics and more about making an instrument I reckon.

He's in San Francisco right now studying marquetry under the Luthier Symogi (if thats what his name is,the guys got a 18-20 year waiting list for his instruments,and made Clapton wait 10 for his)...I dont recall any Luthier ever wishing to further their knowledge to such an insane level (I reckon the Fingerboards next year are gonna be killer in a Ken Lawrencelike way) and is plainly..a nice bloke.

This isnt smokeblowing,ala some makers on here..like some boys club,pros use him,its a small,operation,thats getting bigger..he's taken on staff..thats the way its going,has a fulltime workshop,and a good number of orders in..my next instrument being one (completed late November)....You dont believe me or wont..just go and meet him.

If you want to see more of his work he's on Facebook

Now Ive got to go,stir frys done...its squid in blackbean sauce.

I am surprised you had such problems finding a builder and equally so that you could not get a pickup or strings. I had no problems with getting the pickups made in this country and the strings were easy enough to get a hold off.

Aesthetically the 9 string in this thread is not really my type of thing but the wood working skill in the making of it is fantastic and it would be churlish for anyone to say otherwise.

Edited by skelf

I don't think Mr ARGH is a good ambassador for Jim Fleeting. He is far too aggressive to people who show anything but praise to Mr Fleeting.
I'm sure Jim is very grateful for the commissions from ARGH but in my eyes, ARGH is doing a disservice to Jim, as he is portraying himself as some kind of pitbull to Jims reputation and this is putting me off from having anything to do with Jim.
I personally think Jims creations are stunning, a mix of a deep understanding of the arts and crafts of the 19th century, renaissance building and good communication with the customer, indeed, I would relish the opportunity to try one of Jims creations.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='322963' date='Nov 5 2008, 08:51 PM']I don't think Mr ARGH is a good ambassador for Jim Fleeting. He is far too aggressive to people who show anything but praise to Mr Fleeting.
I'm sure Jim is very grateful for the commissions from ARGH but in my eyes, ARGH is doing a disservice to Jim, as he is portraying himself as some kind of pitbull to Jims reputation and this is putting me off from having anything to do with Jim.
I personally think Jims creations are stunning, a mix of a deep understanding of the arts and crafts of the 19th century, renaissance building and good communication with the customer, indeed, I would relish the opportunity to try one of Jims creations.[/quote]

I disagree. If I was a luthier, I'd love to inspire that kind of passion. It's passionate stuff this music game. I can appreciate that ARGH's views are his own, and not Jim Fleeting's.

What have I written that's abusive?
tBBC asked why? And I put my viewpoint on the table..simple as.....you dont deal with me,when you want a guitar built,whats your problem?

And what on earth has the USA election got to do with..this thread??

Edited by ARGH

OK guys simmer down, this mod needs his beauty sleep after a late night last night and an f***ing busy day today, if we can all just chill a little that would be lovely, we can all be friends here right? I really have to get some shut eye now so if you could be super cool dudes and leave all that silly bitchy stuff until tomorrow then I won't have let the side down :) essentially you will make me look better, and not a complete arse... though some of you may already think that of me!

Big thanks to you all

Mike

[quote name='ARGH' post='322171' date='Nov 4 2008, 08:40 PM']Oh and the P/U Cover...thats 30 pieces of wood....[/quote]Great. It's still my least favourite bit by a long way though.
Well done for such an impassioned speech, despite the rather unnecessary sideswipes. It's perfectly possible to sing praises without making snide comments, y'know.