Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Squire JV P-Bass 1984 (Rare 32" Medium Scale) Further price reduction
£650

Oggy

[u][b]EDIT:[/b][/u][b] 22/06/17[/b]

For the second time - a sale has fallen through at the 11th hour :(, it was packed and ready to go then suddenley I got "[i]I'll have to wait to see if my bonus comes through[/i]". At least it wasn't a Basschat member. The price I'm looking for now is [b]just £600[/b], this will just about cover the cost a guitar that I have my eye on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Guys and Girls - this is something that you don't see very often, if at all😮. What you're looking at is my 1984 Squier JV PB331 P-Bass😃. These were only made for Fender Japan between 1984 and 1987 and sold under the Squier name. What's so unusual about this P is that it's a Medium Scale (32") with a 'shrunk' scaled down body to suit the scale length. I lusted after one of these for over 3 years and found this one on a Japanese auction site last year. When I finally took delivery I was gobsmacked😧, the only way to describe it is that it's a 'barn find'😂, it must have been bought new and just stored away without any use. I just cleaned it up a bit and took it to a well known Luther in London, the idea being to have a Badass put on it and change the pickups etc. The Luther looked at me as though I'd lost the plot😂 and told me that what I'd bought was a completely original, virtually unused 1984, rare as hen's teeth PB331 Bass, he just flat refused to do any mods on it at all😠. Anyway, he did a complete setup, checked and cleaned the electronics and put a set of 'bloody expensive' flats on it for me - it's a monster sounding bass and weighs in at only 3.7 kg's. I've used it a few times at rehearsal but never gig'd it - still using my 32" J Bass.
Some of you may know that I've very recently gone over to the dark side (playing more and more 6 string guitar) so I'm putting this rare bass up for sale - I know you're thinking he has lost the plot😂, well you could be right and I'll probably regret it but I really think it will have to go so that I can fund a Les Paul or Strat. Have a good look at the pictures, I doubt that you'll see another one of these up for sale in such good condition anytime soon. I'm looking to sell locally if possible so that anyone can 'try before buy', but I'm happy to courier at buyers risk. The bass was manufactured in Japan at the Fuji-gen plant for Fender Japan and sold under the Squire name. The neck is dated 30th November 1984 and the body neck pocket is stamped PB331 500. I've attached some photos, excuse the kitchen, any questions please PM me and I'll do my best to answer - you can find some info on the web. The bass is completely original, except for the flat wounds, no mods or replacement parts on it at all👍.

Edited by Oggy

I've got a 32" Squier P bass, and it's loverleee!
Nice scale length, light as a feather, easy to play, yet still sounds big, like a full scale length bass
Easy to adapt between 32" and 34" scale lengths too IMO

I don't blame your luthier for refusing to modify it - such beasts are indeed rare, and rarer still in mint condition :)
This won't be around long, but GLWTS anyway

EDIT: IN fact, don't hold on too tight to it - someone will 'ave your arm off! ;)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1497300449' post='3317197']
Nice. Been looking for a lefty version for over a year now.
[/quote]

Took me three years to find this one - rare as rocking horse Doo Doo

This is an Awesome bass. I played it two weeks ago. It looks Great, sounds Great, plays Great!

Tim is is spot on to deal with. We have bought and sold to each other and he is honest, reliable and straightforward. You can't go wrong!

Good luck with the sale.

Ooh you should put info on your medium scale basses [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/301054-32-medium-scale-bass-thread/page__fromsearch__1"]HERE[/url] :) might even help with your sale.

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1497368865' post='3317615']
Do you know the nut width and or neck dimensions at all? Is it downscaled also like a Jazz profile or is it still Pbass just shorter?

Thanks
[/quote]

Hello Joe - I was wondering when someone who'd ask these questions, you're the one.

I've had my engineering steel rule out and this is what I've measured up:

Nut overall width - 43mm
12th fret overal width - 56mm
20th fret overal width - 62mm

String spacing at nut, centre to centre:
E to A 12mm, A - D 11mm, D - G 10mm

String spacing at 12th fret, centre to centre:
E to A 16mm, A - D 15mm, D - G 14,5mm

String spacing at 20th fret (last fret on neck), centre to centre:
E to A 17.5mm, A to D 17,MM, D to G 16mm

String spacing at bridge on saddles, centre to centre:
E to A 20,5mm, A - D 20mm, D to G 19mm

Neck length from nut to 20th fret: 556mm

Neck thickness is very similar to my 32" Medium Scale Jazz.

The body is P-Bass (not Jazz) and is 'shrunk' down in proportion as you can see in the photos. I was with a P- Bass owner last week (Pestie Mike), we compared this bass to a 'standard P - Bass' it's proportionally correct in every detail - it's as though it's been washed on a hot cycle and shrunk down. The reason that I was so keen to get this bass was that a standard P - Bass on me just looked way to big and was a wee bit heavy. This bass is proportioned down like the 32" Medium Scale Jap Jazz.

I hope this answers your questions.

Oggy (AKA - Tim)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1497369537' post='3317620']
Ooh you should put info on your medium scale basses [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/301054-32-medium-scale-bass-thread/page__fromsearch__1"]HERE[/url] :) might even help with your sale.
[/quote]

Thanks Rumple - That's gotta be worth a shot.

Hello Joe - I was wondering when someone who'd ask these questions, you're the one��

Haha yeah I'm always that one. Sounds very nice shame I have just had a letter for import duty for a
Project that might appear on Basschat in the near future otherwise I would be throwing an offer your way.

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1497374192' post='3317672']

Hello Joe - I was wondering when someone who'd ask these questions, you're the one��

Haha yeah I'm always that one. Sounds very nice shame I have just had a letter for import duty for a
Project that might appear on Basschat in the near future otherwise I would be throwing an offer your way.
[/quote]
Well at least now you have the information on something that you weren't ever going to buy.

[quote name='Oggy' timestamp='1497375749' post='3317687']

Well at least now you have the information on something that you weren't ever going to buy������.
[/quote]oh dear I hope some one buys this soon as seems a good price for this and they are pretty rare flats fella

[quote name='Oggy' timestamp='1497375749' post='3317687']

Well at least now you have the information on something that you weren't ever going to buy������.
[/quote]
As I said I had an invoice today I was considering an offer as I like shorter scales and these don't come up often.

Cheers for answering so quickly I'm sure
The information will help others

good luck.

[quote name='Joebethell' timestamp='1497383238' post='3317766']
As I said I had an invoice today I was considering an offer as I like shorter scales and these don't come up often.

Cheers for answering so quickly I'm sure
The information will help others

good luck.
[/quote]

Hello Joe

Yes, I had one of those invoices when I imported this bass from Japan - Ouch :( .

I should have said thanks for enquiring about the neck etc. I'm sure that other Basschatters will be pleased that you asked the question :) .

I'm looking forward to seeing your post on the 'project' you mentioned, any clues on what you're up to?

Oggy

Invoice is about a month after the project turned up so thought I had escaped the clutches of the state but guess not.

It's a 32" project more details will Be in the build section when I get round to accually starting it.

I won't derail your sale any longer.

Best of luck and if it doesn't go quickly I might Pm after pay day.

Hi Brian

Yes, I have some more pics and one of the date on neck plus the body neck pocket - problem is that I can't upload them on the post😟. When I try I get an error message telling me "30.7 MB of allocated 30 MB used" or words to that effect. I can email you more pics if you PM me your email address.

Oggy

[quote name='Oggy' timestamp='1497389933' post='3317845']
Hi Brian

Yes, I have some more pics and one of the date on neck plus the body neck pocket - problem is that I can't upload them on the post. When I try I get an error message telling me "30.7 MB of allocated 30 MB used" or words to that effect. I can email you more pics if you PM me your email address.

Oggy
[/quote]

You need to go into your old posts and delete the pics to get your storage allocation back. PM'd re possible swap for guitar