Why become a member? ×

BV microphone recommendations

T-Bay

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1497369111' post='3317618']
I am now torn, as it's purely for backing vocals at 'pub band' level I am leaning severely towards the Behringer.
[/quote]

If you're doing backing vocals you're singing, it's important. I have a D5 and an SM58 and I like them both.

Get a decent one. Compared to basses and amps they're not really expensive. My 58 must be 20 years old, solid as a rock.

No idea on the behringer I'm afraid but as said above there's a lot of brand snobbery that isn't justified.

Les

I bought the Behringer pack of three, in a hard case with mic clips. They've been abused for years and still going strong and they've had their fair share of people think they were better than SM58's.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1497268662' post='3316883']
Would recommend the Samson Q7. Have had mine for a few years now and never missed a beat. Some could say it's a bit toppy, personally I just think they sound really clear.

Have also used it to mic bass drum and guitar cabs in emergencies and sounds fine. Well built, sturdy, and cost £23 when I bought mine. Possibly slightly more expensive these days (haven't checked).
[/quote]
Samson get's my vote. We stopped using SM58's and switched to these as they seem to work better for us.

Given the breadth of suggestions here I think it's safe to say that there are a ton of mics out there which do a better job than an SM58 and cost less. It's just the stubbornness of sound engineers which has kept them on the pedestal of being "The Industry Standard"...

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1497435658' post='3318060']
Given the breadth of suggestions here I think it's safe to say that there are a ton of mics out there which do a better job than an SM58 and cost less. It's just the stubbornness of sound engineers which has kept them on the pedestal of being "The Industry Standard"...
[/quote]

Credit where it's due: the SM58's been a reliable go-to for donkey's years, while the Behringer and some of the other contenders will be relatively new to the market. I'd be interested to see if there's any shift in this "Industry Standard" over the coming years, mind!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1497442652' post='3318169']
Credit where it's due: the SM58's been a reliable go-to for donkey's years
[/quote]

You do have a point - the thing is built like a tank. I remember seeing a video a couple of years ago of some Shure guys burying an SM58 a foot or two underground in the front lawn of Shure HQ. When they dug it up a year later and plugged it in it was still producing signal. If ever there was a benchmark for roadworthiness!