Why become a member? ×

BV microphone recommendations

T-Bay

Need to get my hands on a microphone for backing vocals, not looking to spend stupid money if possible. I have seen the cheaper Shure range but was wondering what others use. Does anyone have any suggestions for decent kit at sensible money?

If you want a BV mic then it's worth thinking for a second whether you want a cardioid or super cardioid. the difference is in the pickup pattern but a cardioid is generally much more tolerant of poor mic technique. The super cardioid is better at rejecting feedback. If you are a loud singer that jumps around a lot as I am then the cardioid is the one to go for. If you are quieter and prepared to keep your head still whilst playing bass and singing at the same time then go for a super.

The mic to beat is definitely the AKG D5, much better sounding than the SM58 but it's a super cardiod, however they also make a cardioid version the D5C. I've two D5's so I really trust them. The Samson SM58 clone is the Q7, really cheap and incredible for the money, slightly more top than the one it is trying to copy but with a bit more handling noise. The Behringer XM8500 is ok but there is some poor soldering on some I've seen. Easily fixed if you are handy.

Don't go for the cheap Shure's, well made enough but the sound isn't good. I've also used the Sennheisers and they are another good sounding rock solid mic but the E835 isn't up to the same standard as the AKG D5 and the 900 series are pricier. If you did want a Shure the Beta58 is a nice thing. Big upgrade on the 50+ year old SM58.

Wasting your time, buy a D5

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1497210076' post='3316588']
If you want a BV mic then it's worth thinking for a second whether you want a cardioid or super cardioid. the difference is in the pickup pattern but a cardioid is generally much more tolerant of poor mic technique. The super cardioid is better at rejecting feedback. If you are a loud singer that jumps around a lot as I am then the cardioid is the one to go for. If you are quieter and prepared to keep your head still whilst playing bass and singing at the same time then go for a super.

The mic to beat is definitely the AKG D5, much better sounding than the SM58 but it's a super cardiod, however they also make a cardioid version the D5C. I've two D5's so I really trust them. The Samson SM58 clone is the Q7, really cheap and incredible for the money, slightly more top than the one it is trying to copy but with a bit more handling noise. The Behringer XM8500 is ok but there is some poor soldering on some I've seen. Easily fixed if you are handy.

Don't go for the cheap Shure's, well made enough but the sound isn't good. I've also used the Sennheisers and they are another good sounding rock solid mic but the E835 isn't up to the same standard as the AKG D5 and the 900 series are pricier. If you did want a Shure the Beta58 is a nice thing. Big upgrade on the 50+ year old SM58.

Wasting your time, buy a D5
[/quote]
Thanks that's very useful indeed. I am certainly not the stand in one place sort so it looks like I need a cardiod type. What would be your suggestion for one of those? Is the D5C you mention the best alternative to the D5?

To be honest unless you're planning on singing a foot to the side of the mic and expecting it to sound great, which I doubt you are, you should be fine with an ordinary D5. The off axis response isn't life-changingly different from a standard cardioid but you'll appreciate the feedback rejection.

Edited by CameronJ

Seriously, get a Behringer XM8500. Less than £20. 99.99% of musicians will not notice the difference between it and an expensive one. They really are that good. Oh, and did I mention that they are sturdy as hell too. I use a lot of different vocal mics including expensive ones, but the one I take with me for my personal band gigs is a Behringer.
Theres a lot of snobbery goes around about a lot of musical kit.

Edited by hamfist

I used to use a PG58, which is shures cheaper version of the SM58. But I was using a voicelive so I wanted some control on it, so I went for a TC Helicon MP75. Quite expensive in the UK, but remarkably cheap in the US, so imported one and it has been loads better for my voice and feedback control.

I've used a Sennheiser E845 for years, I swear it sounds better than our singists battered SM58!!......but only when HE sings through it!

http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Sennheiser-e845S-Lead-Vocal-Microphone-and-Switch/4S7?origin=product-ads&utm_campaign=PLA+Shop+-+Sennheiser&utm_medium=vertical_search&network=google&adgroup=All+Products.+Sennheiser&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=6199d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=87922610959&gclid=CjwKEAjw9_jJBRCXycSarr3csWcSJABthk073UWB27OqHJQnerGSlXMFt017CJRdsudcgzJwOpziXBoCRmbw_wcB

Would recommend the Samson Q7. Have had mine for a few years now and never missed a beat. Some could say it's a bit toppy, personally I just think they sound really clear.

Have also used it to mic bass drum and guitar cabs in emergencies and sounds fine. Well built, sturdy, and cost £23 when I bought mine. Possibly slightly more expensive these days (haven't checked).

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1497260589' post='3316806']
I used to use a PG58, which is shures cheaper version of the SM58. But I was using a voicelive so I wanted some control on it, so I went for a TC Helicon MP75. Quite expensive in the UK, but remarkably cheap in the US, so imported one and it has been loads better for my voice and feedback control.
[/quote]

I was actually going to suggest th TC Helicon mics as they're (to me) a step up in clarity over the AKG but the TC is hypercardioid and you really do feel the volume dropoff when you aren't properly on axis. Excellent feedback rejection though! I'd heartily recommend them for a solo or lead vocalist.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1497256176' post='3316764']
Seriously, get a Behringer XM8500. Less than £20. 99.99% of musicians will not notice the difference between it and an expensive one. They really are that good. Oh, and did I mention that they are sturdy as hell too. I use a lot of different vocal mics including expensive ones, but the one I take with me for my personal band gigs is a Behringer.
Theres a lot of snobbery goes around about a lot of musical kit.
[/quote]

My interest is piqued...have you tried using this Behringer for any home recording? I'm hoping to improve my current setup, and you've got me wondering whether I could do so a lot more cheaply than I first thought!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1497271395' post='3316914']
My interest is piqued...have you tried using this Behringer for any home recording? I'm hoping to improve my current setup, and you've got me wondering whether I could do so a lot more cheaply than I first thought!
[/quote]

Yes, used for plenty of recordings too. I became "In the know" about these after visiting a recording studio where the owner had literally changed most of his stock to these.

The Behringers are 3 for £29.99 [url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-XM1800S-Ultravoice-Microphone-slightly/dp/B000NJ2TIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497354229&sr=8-1&keywords=microphone+3+pack"]here[/url]

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1497354359' post='3317459']
The Behringers are 3 for £29.99 [url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-XM1800S-Ultravoice-Microphone-slightly/dp/B000NJ2TIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497354229&sr=8-1&keywords=microphone+3+pack"]here[/url]
[/quote]
That's the XM1800S. Not sure that's the same as the XM8500?

What were the problems before? I gigged for a year and a half with behringer powered PA without an issue, now I use the XR16 mixer, which has to be one of the best products of its type around (apart from obviously anything with a higher number), and behringer speakers which are ok.

Teh others in the band use behringer microphones. They are ok, I wouldn't say they were in the same league as the TC one that I am using, but they are ok for a working pub band.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1497369595' post='3317621']
What were the problems before? I gigged for a year and a half with behringer powered PA without an issue, now I use the XR16 mixer, which has to be one of the best products of its type around (apart from obviously anything with a higher number), and behringer speakers which are ok.

Teh others in the band use behringer microphones. They are ok, I wouldn't say they were in the same league as the TC one that I am using, but they are ok for a working pub band.
[/quote]
I bought a Behringer amp as a cheap backup, it was second hand off a guy I know very well but was just completely unreliable. Sometimes it worked perfectly, other times nothing. Then I bought a cheap Behringer distortion pedal but the noise was so awful I sold it within a week. Maybe I have been unlucky.