Why become a member? ×

Best place to sell old vinyl?

T-Bay

I have a load of vinyl and some of it I will never play (and a lot I have never played as they are picture discs or special editions). I don't fancy risking eBay due to the morons on there and am worried a dealer will just want to pay peanuts (I have no real idea of value). Does anyone know a decent place to sell old vinyl? It's mostly grunge/ alternative/ heavy metal if that affects anything.

Edit: this isn't a backwards for sale ad so please don't pm asking to buy or for specific details. I don't want to circumvent any rules or upset anyone.

Edited by T-Bay

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1497190329' post='3316421']
I've been selling some of my old vinyl collection and have done so on Ebay, no experience of other sites.
So far I've not encountered any of the morons that you speak of :) Maybe vinyl collectors tend to fall in to the decent bracket.
[/quote]
How did you package them? Maybe I am being a bit unfair to eBay but I stopped selling on there a couple of years back (mostly old car and bike stuff and only a few bits and pieces) as I just seemed to come across idiot after idiot.

How did you value them? Or did you just run them as auctions?

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1497193699' post='3316448']
if they are run of the mill top 40 stuff it will only attract Joe Public. If its niche music, there is a healthy vinyl collecting community for all types of music. My experience would say that you will rarely get a problem with collectors.
They can be a bit picky with their grading though.
[/quote]
No top 40 stuff (apart from stuff like Nirvana that obviously charted at some point). Not a clue on grading, they are mint to me but whether someone else would say that I have no idea.

One peculiarity to keep in mind when dealing with records and grading is that Very Good means not particularly good at all, Excellent means just fine, but if you want to really enjoy an album you should probably only go for Near Mint or Mint. Mint is essentially reserved for unplayed records. Near Mint would mean no discernible loss in sound quality. But a lot of sellers do tend to rate their records a bit, or very, favourably.

Oh, and sleeves and media are graded separately. So you could have a VG+ sleeve with a NM record.

Edited by ZilchWoolham

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1497195461' post='3316453']
One peculiarity to keep in mind when dealing with records and grading is that Very Good means not particularly good at all, Excellent means just fine, but if you want to really enjoy an album you should probably only go for Near Mint or Mint. Mint is essentially reserved for unplayed records. Near Mint would mean no discernible loss in sound quality. But a lot of sellers do tend to rate their records a bit, or very, favourably.

Oh, and sleeves and media are graded separately. So you could have a VG+ sleeve with a NM record.
[/quote]
Thanks, most of the ones I will sell have never been played, many still in the shrink wrap with the goodies attached so easy to show they are unplayed. Sounds quite a complex game though.
[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1497195778' post='3316455']
Google record fairs in your area, and book a table at the next one.
[/quote]
I don't really have enough to do that I doubt, probably only want to slim it out by 60-80 and wouldn't have the first clue if they were worth 100p or £100.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1497196250' post='3316459']
Thanks, most of the ones I will sell have never been played, many still in the shrink wrap with the goodies attached so easy to show they are unplayed. Sounds quite a complex game though.
[/quote]

In that case I'd say you're in luck! Unplayed and unwrapped records are the easiest to grade, and of course very desirable.

I would also suggest eBay for convenience' sake. If you want to get a sense of the value of a record, do an eBay search of the pressing in question, and when in the results check the box marked "Sold Listings". This way you'll see the prices people are actually paying, as opposed to the prices people are asking, which aren't exactly always one and the same.

Edited by ZilchWoolham

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1497196915' post='3316461']

In that case I'd say you're in luck! Unplayed and unwrapped records are the easiest to grade, and of course very desirable.
[/quote]
Sounds good! I went through a phase of buying stuff with no,intention of playing it, often I have the regular album/ single then a coloured vinyl/ picture disc/ some freebie attached one as well. I will keep the ones I have played but may as well let the others go and fund some stuff I want.

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1497197552' post='3316466']
Hey, you could always have a look at the going rate on [url="https://www.discogs.com/my"]https://www.discogs.com/my[/url]
[/quote]
That's is brilliant! Thanks, had a look at a few and it will be worth my while by the looks of it. As always, some higher, some lower than expected.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1497200552' post='3316494']And how do people package them up safely to post?[/quote]

I buy a fair bit of vinyl online (EBay and Amazon) and the standard seems to be card with card card inserts to reinforce the packaging. The going rate for posting a record seems to be about £3.50. Some people tend to have these already made card record packages and others seem to secure the record within some cardboard, DIY style. Most mark them as fragile or do not bend but some sellers (a minority) seem to apply a reverse physiology.

There's an internet forum called Hifi Wigwam that you could join and they have a classifieds section.

Lichfield has pretty regular record fair.

Thirdly there I a second hand vinyl shop in Rugeley town centre I believe.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1497246094' post='3316711']
https://www.facebook.com/bpmrecordsderby

They might be a starting point for advice.
[/quote]
Didn't know that was there! There was always a little niche place on the arcade on the other side of Sadler gate in the 89s/90s and I think that was called bpm records so guess it's the same one. They were brilliant.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1497248859' post='3316718']
Didn't know that was there! There was always a little niche place on the arcade on the other side of Sadler gate in the 89s/90s and I think that was called bpm records so guess it's the same one. They were brilliant.
[/quote]

Yup. Still trading but from the court yard instead of the main drag and the arcade. I went after our last chat about Derby record shops a couple of months back.

I want to spend some more quality time there soon because ten quid buys five LPs from the classified section. Now I have my turntable set up permanently once more I am looking out for choice vinyl to enjoy. My house mate has got his old stash of vinyl out now as well. We've had a few "folk" listening sessions off the back of it already.

Got a real buzz from playing the 12in of Two Tribes a couple of weeks before you mentioned elsewhere how much you liked it. Cohinky dinky innit.

Edited by SpondonBassed