Why become a member? ×

Rebuilt Hofner '64 first gig

SpikeBass

I purchased a poorly Hofner '64 Violin bass from Maut on this forum, had a lot of work done to it but finally it was used for its first gig in how many years I do not know, Maut? any idea? Well, the sound was legendary, it played like a high class whore wooing myself, band members & audience alike, so much mojo in the look and sound. Made my Markbass TA503 sing ...

Brilliant gig in Hackney, absolutely rammed and outside was rammed too, everyone dancing, happy, sunshine....

Nice Debut.

[attachment=247049:M1020214.jpg]

My band is called The Mighty Cosmics, we play traditional Ska music and if you fancy catching us live we are playing at Beautiful Days Festival 19th August Saturday on the Little Big Top Stage, come and say Hi.

Congratulations on the refurbishment. I've done a couple of refurb's myself and it brings a lot of satisfaction to give an old knacker a new life. I have a soft spot for violin basses but as has already been asked, what is there to hate?

[quote name='SpikeBass' timestamp='1497186697' post='3316380']

Cheers, what do hate about them?
[/quote]

Hate is probably too strong a word.
They feel a bit toy like to me, or should I say they don't feel substantial.
The string spacing, I'm purely a fingers player and although I can play them its still a bit cramped.
There odd controls. There just not logical very un German lol.

However there's a lot of things I do like about them.

Edited by Twincam

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1497201911' post='3316505']
Hate is probably too strong a word.
They feel a bit toy like to me, or should I say they don't feel substantial.
The string spacing, I'm purely a fingers player and although I can play them its still a bit cramped.
There odd controls. There just not logical very un German lol.

However there's a lot of things I do like about them.
[/quote]

Yes i get the weird controls, the spacing doesn't bother me, in fact it helps a lazy old git like me so I don't have to move too much..

[quote name='SpikeBass' timestamp='1497186631' post='3316377']
Shame to see you have retired it....
[/quote]

Yes it's been retired from everyday use since 1998 but who knows as I get older (50 this year), & the Precision becomes to heavy to lift it may come out of retirement & become my main bass again.

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1497210997' post='3316599']
Yes it's been retired from everyday use since 1998 but who knows as I get older (50 this year), & the Precision becomes to heavy to lift it may come out of retirement & become my main bass again.
[/quote]

Well this is what happened to me (now 55) I had a gorgeous 1978 P bass but I needed a forklift to pick it up, sounded great though.
The Hofner is a perfect replacement for me for live work & Studio, sounds great with the traditional Ska music we play.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1497253295' post='3316744']
Pick or fingers?

I find playing ska lines with a pick leads eventually to cramp, but the 14mm spacing on my Hofners makes playing it fingerstyle a mite tricky.
[/quote]

I have never used a pick to play bass, always used my fingers as it gives me more control over the sound. The tight spacing is quite a relief these days as i am a lazy player...

[quote name='SpikeBass' timestamp='1497251827' post='3316734']
Well this is what happened to me (now 55) I had a gorgeous 1978 P bass but I needed a forklift to pick it up, sounded great though.
The Hofner is a perfect replacement for me for live work & Studio, sounds great with the traditional Ska music we play.
[/quote]

Well this maybe where I will end up back to my '64 in a few years maybe. I used to be fine with the tight string spacing though always played with a pick, here is my '64 taken about 5 years ago. Still love this bass :D B) .
[URL=http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/luckman67/media/002-1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t406/luckman67/002-1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]