Why become a member? ×

What headphones for under £40

Elfrasho

Superlux HD668b cans were recommended to me about 5-6 years ago. They’ve never let me down.

OneOdio get good reviews, so should my cans ever break, then I’ll be giving them a try. 

22 hours ago, CliveT said:

Anyone got experience with the OneOdio Studio Pro 10 from Amazon?   They say they are for studio monitoring and sell for £34.99.  Get good reviews on Amazon and Youtube 

Terms such as "studio monitoring", "Studio Pro", etc are bandied about freely and mean little, as do good reviews from the cloth-eared on Amazon and YouTube, I'm afraid. They appear to be generic Chinese DJ cans with bling looks intended to impress. I'd stick to brands such as Beyer and Sennheiser. They have hard earned reputations to protect and aren't likely to risk losing them by selling tat.

3 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

Superlux HD668b cans were recommended to me about 5-6 years ago. They’ve never let me down.

Superlux is a reputable company. They manufacture mic's for EV, among others.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, xgsjx said:

Superlux HD668b cans were recommended to me about 5-6 years ago. They’ve never let me down...

Ditto my Superlux HD669, worn most days, often for several hours at a time. They'll probably see me out. :D

Edited by Dad3353

Well the Sennheiser 206 (for a whopping £15.99 off ebay !) are great !..... I've tried them for music, with a few things from a bit of Goth, to Mahler no5  and Grieg's piano concerto, all good..... my ears have had a battering over the ages so I'm probably not the ideal person to review anything, but they sound very well detailed to me, and you can hear 'into' the music and no nasty noises! ...I'm mainly going to be using them for playing bass etc, as said before at that price you can't go wrong !

I'd also add they've got a lot more volume than the last lot, I plugged into an old ME50 pedal that I'd last used with the others, and had to turn the master vol down pretty sharpish with the Sennheisers.... a good set of cans and a bargain too ! 

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up Sennheiser 206's and for the money they are great.  Not super loud or over bassy but really clear and crisp sound with a good neutral tone. Had Marley headphones before which were great but very hi fi with a bass bias making them too bassy, if that's possible, for home practice.

Already said but I agree, for the money you can't go wrong.

• Like 1

From all the 'Blah Blah' above, I've just treated myself to some HD206's for a whoppin' £15 from the 'bay of dreams... Gonna pass them to my Wife so the kids can give them back to me for Fathers Day... that way i'll get something i actually want, as well as the usual Toblerone, Fruit 'n Nut or Old Jamaica.

Mainly to use with the Zoom B1on, the Sennheiser's have a 3m long lead so pleanty long enough to run down ya back and out the way plus over-ear cups for hopefully better sound isolation and comfort... should be a bit better than my current Sony ZX300 headphones which have a shortish lead and more on-ear cup but handy folding design to stick in a bag, fine for use with my little Sony MP3 player... but they keep getting snagged on the bass neck, strap button or fall against the strings when ya move ya head.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

Headphones arrived... had a quick look... one of the cable reliefs to one of the ear cups was loose and required pulling down to secure. No QR Code on the box... mmm i wonder if they are genuine? I've messaged the seller and sent a pic, so waiting on a response before contacting eBay etc.

Gave em a quick try and they work, but gonna give em a proper try on the MP3 player...

Just thought i'd post - as ever - buyer beware.

3 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Headphones arrived... had a quick look... one of the cable reliefs to one of the ear cups was loose and required pulling down to secure. No QR Code on the box... mmm i wonder if they are genuine? I've messaged the seller and sent a pic, so waiting on a response before contacting eBay etc.

Gave em a quick try and they work, but gonna give em a proper try on the MP3 player...

That's ashame. Post a photo if you can be arsed il compare them to mine to see if they're fake or not 

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

That's a bugger, I kind of feel responsible !...mine were 100%  great, hence I recommended... These are mine, sorry about the pics, this tablet can't take sharp pics !

IMG_20210610_132453_982.jpg

IMG_20210610_132523_438.JPG

Ps. Just been playing through them now, (with your Zoom b1) and still sounding great, again did another quick side by side with my old Sony ones, the 206s are so much better in all repects... Out of interest what ebay seller was it ?    I got mine from ebay seller  josh831438996   and no probs..

Edited by Waddo Soqable

41 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Just checked mine which arrived a few weeks ago and the box the the QR code.  

Just giving em a go... Rush Moving Pictures.... very revealing, more so than my Sony's... Happy with the sound quality.

Just the lack of QR Code or Holograme sticker some of the You Tube unboxing mention...

@CliveT   was that a Y or N on the QR? - @Waddo Soqable no responsibilities worry... look the same down to the protective film on the earcups and adapter shape. does your box have a QR code?

All Good for £15 - Gonna have a lyedown on the sette wiv some sounds for a hour... just to make sure 😉😉😉

EDIT: On an old fav '801 Live'... SO much more going on! 👍

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

Just giving em a go... Rush Moving Pictures.... very revealing, more so than my Sony's... Happy with the sound quality.

Just the lack of QR Code or Holograme sticker some of the You Tube unboxing mention...

@CliveT   was that a Y or N on the QR? - @Waddo Soqable no responsibilities worry... look the same down to the protective film on the earcups and adapter shape. does your box have a QR code?

All Good for £15 - Gonna have a lyedown on the sette wiv some sounds for a hour... just to make sure 😉😉😉

Oops, sorry,   Yes I do have the QR code on mine.

No, i can't immediately see the squiggly box QR thing on the box.... Don't know how long these have been on products tbh, maybe there's new old stock out there without them, dunno !  The ones I got were certainly new and there's absolutely nowt wrong with them..... I know that there's a lot of "catalogue or mail order returns" items that get flogged off, some returns will have faults and some will just have been sent back as people "changed their mind". some cheap priced ebay items may be sourced like that.. Very difficult to tell