Why become a member? ×

"Sex On Fire " Intro

thepurpleblob

Can anybody who knows this Kings of Leon song manage to count their way through the intro? It's a weird syncopated guitar part and a riffy thing on the bass but I just can't pin down where the bar starts and stops. Once the verse comes in it's all dead easy of course. Anybody help? I'd like to write it all down for the band and I'm a bit stuffed.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='317974' date='Oct 29 2008, 09:51 PM']Can anybody who knows this Kings of Leon song manage to count their way through the intro? It's a weird syncopated guitar part and a riffy thing on the bass but I just can't pin down where the bar starts and stops. Once the verse comes in it's all dead easy of course. Anybody help? I'd like to write it all down for the band and I'm a bit stuffed.[/quote]

We learned it the other week and its going down a storm at the few gigs we've played it at.

I have no musical training so cant help you with timing or any of the other parts sorry mate. I just played along with the intro on repeat til I had it sussed. Like you said once it all kicks in its fine but the first bass notes are awkward. Or maybe I just aint that good (well I know I aint lol).

Prob no help at all but the initial slide is early in the bar so you can slide away down then come back up for the next bar.

Not a technical explanation but try this.

Start counting on the VERY first guitar note (not the high one which is the natural place to start).

Count 1-2-3-4 for 8 bars with the guitar.

The slide starts on 2 of the next bar and the note hits in at count 3 I think.

By all means correct me if this is wrong but I just sort of feel it now but the above seems to explain it I hope.

Steve

The guitar starts on the 4th beat....he plays the open E string on 4, and the 6th note on the chord on the & ....so count 1,2,3 and the guitarist plays 4&, and you keep counting. The guitar is mainly off beat quavers, ie the " &" count, and not on the beat.

Hope that helps. I've just read it back, and it probably doesn't!

• 3 weeks later...