Why become a member? ×

Virus's

sprocketflup

For those having this recurrent issue, have you tried flushing your browsers cache..? Each browser has its own method, but it's usually in the 'Tools' section or similar. Certain stuff could be hiding in there, bringing the problem back on your local machine even if it's been fixed elsewhere. Just sayin'; hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Still happening, just had it now. I've just flushed my cache too. If it's an ad doing this then perhaps it's time to block that ad provider for trying to scam people, or for having piss-poor security, whichever it is. I'll stay off the desktop version of Basschat until it's been fixed. I don't want to risk my PC.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1502478666' post='3351793']
Still happening, just had it now. I've just flushed my cache too. If it's an ad doing this then perhaps it's time to block that ad provider for trying to scam people, or for having piss-poor security, whichever it is. I'll stay off the desktop version of Basschat until it's been fixed. I don't want to risk my PC.
[/quote]

You could try installing some ad blocking software like uBlock Origin which ought to stop these annoyances - you can whitelist individual websites with it if you like.

The software we're using is a bit old now and the new version is out so there are no new security patches for this. We're replacing it soon with the new stuff. There's no threat these are just annoyances affecting a small number of members. It's not connected to the advertising and theses no security risk as all transactions are hosted on PayPal.

There's a first time for everything, and this is a first time for me. Normally, I consider myself a tech savvy person, have a mulititude of blocker (inc U Block), ghostery, cookie crunchers and whatnot installed and don't visit any dodgy sites, but I just got my first virus pop-up 'dial this number to remove the virus' scam.... browsing here. I don't want to install no-script because it's so intrusive but perhaps it's time.

I think I managed to successfully zap it with malaware bytes, but it would have scared the bejesus out of somebody like my mother, who would have probably rang immediately with credit card in hand.

Edited by Shambo

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1502999331' post='3355000']
There's a first time for everything, and this is a first time for me. Normally, I consider myself a tech savvy person, have a mulititude of blocker (inc U Block), ghostery, cookie crunchers and whatnot installed and don't visit any dodgy sites, but I just got my first virus pop-up 'dial this number to remove the virus' scam.... browsing here. I don't want to install no-script because it's so intrusive but perhaps it's time.

I think I managed to successfully zap it with malaware bytes, but it would have scared the bejesus out of somebody like my mother, who would have probably rang immediately with credit card in hand.
[/quote]

I'm running Firefox with YesScript and uBlock Origin and I've not been getting these sham virus alerts - I can't remember if I've ever had to invoke YesScript (where it lets scripts run on every site by default and you manually blacklist problematical sites to prevent scripts running - it's the reverse of NoScript in action AFAIK).

The recently installed Malwarebytes just jumped in for the first time on this site to prevent a malicious code.

-Log Details-
Protection Event Date: 8/23/17
Protection Event Time: 7:54 AM
Log File:
Administrator: Yes

-Software Information-
Version: 3.1.2.1733
Components Version: 1.0.160
Update Package Version: 1.0.2642
License: Trial

-System Information-
CPU: x64