Why become a member? ×

Best amp head (500W to 1000W) you've ever owned? (Or should definitely avoid!)

Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1508089198' post='3389677']I tried the cabs out in seller's houses before buying but as usual you can't really turn up the volume or hear it within the full band scenario. Fortunately I managed to move them on or in the 8 X 10 instance actually swapped it for the said 1 X 15 which came in much more useful. I, like most people, have always gone for 'name' gear because we foolishly think they're the latest Holy Grail. Right now I've actually got my eyes on a Harley Benton 1 X 15 cab for £129. It looks fantastic and has some good reviews. If it sounds good to me then that's the main thing.

Ouch! Definitely a wise warning to "try before you buy" when it comes to cabs (or any major piece of bass gear, I guess?). Out of interest how many of these cabs did you buy without having had a chance to first try out? Were you able to return any of them and get a refund?
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I wonder if this wicked new [url="https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/blog/2017/10/27/geezer-butler-signature-head-of-doom-amplifier-revealed/"]Ashdown Doom[/url] amp that Kevin Dean spotted on another thread, is actual going to be the one that rules them all? It does look incredibly GAS inducing and I'm sure I'm not alone in looking forward to hearing it being properly put through its paces.

Couple of eye catching features in addition to its >600W RMS output and a 12Ax7 valve pre-amp (similar in both respects to the gorgeous, but now discontinued, Mesa M6 Carbine).

[b]Versatile EQ[/b]
[color=#000000]The Head of Doom features a sophisticated 9-band EQ, with familiar Bass, Middle & Treble controls and six sliders allowing precision cut and boost in the regions the standard controls can't reach, providing a huge range of tonal variation and the tailring of the perfect tone.[/color]
[color=#000000]The EQ can be switched in via footswitch taking the player from a flat fretless sound to their favourite EQ setting instantly. [/color]

[b]Sub-Harmonic Generator[/b]
[color=#000000]Adds an octave below the notes being played bringing fullness to any bass part. The Sub level is independently controllable, thickening the sound and providing more DOOM to your tone as required.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Arriving at the end of Nov. I've got a horrible feeling that coincides with the OP's birthday and for a lot of other folks just in time for Christmas. [/color][/font][/size]

Edited by Al Krow

I really wish that the Subharmonic Generator was switchable between lows & highs. I find that adding an octave below is too mushy, but being able to add in an octave higher, but just slightly, would be a very useful addition especially in a 3-piece during guitar solos.

• Like 1

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1509238679' post='3397526']
I really wish that the Subharmonic Generator was switchable between lows & highs. I find that adding an octave below is too mushy, but being able to add in an octave higher, but just slightly, would be a very useful addition especially in a 3-piece during guitar solos.
[/quote]

Fair enough - although I don't know how easy that would be to do from an engineering perspective? Certainly on the octave pedal front Tom @ COG is adamant that generating octave down is fine for analogue but octave up only really feasible with digital. Dunno if the same principle extends to subharmonic generators - have you come across ones on amps that do switch between lows and highs?

I'm guessing (but you will know!) that the power amp in Ashdown amps is Class A/B and not Class D? If so, the set up will be not dissimilar to the Mesa M6 which also has a single 12 Ax7 valve pre-amp and a Mosfet (Class A/B main amp and whose tone I really like, so I suspect I'm going to take a real shine to the this Ashdown head also.

Edited by Al Krow

The subharmonic generator is essentially the same as an analog octaver. I've heard people say that sub pedals like the Meatbox are a different effect to octavers, but the technology used is the same, just that they are voiced/EQ'd differently.

What I do if I want an octave up is just play an octave higher and let the pedal fill out the octave down. Sounds much better to me - instant tracking, and no fake sounding digital artifacts you get from digital octave up!

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1509261124' post='3397550']

Fair enough - although I don't know how easy that would be to do from an engineering perspective? Certainly on the octave pedal front Tom @ COG is adamant that generating octave down is fine for analogue but octave up only really feasible with digital. Dunno if the same principle extends to subharmonic generators - have you come across ones on amps that do switch between lows and highs?

I'm guessing (but you will know!) that the power amp in Ashdown amps is Class A/B and not Class D? If so, the set up will be not dissimilar to the Mesa M6 which also has a single 12 Ax7 valve pre-amp and a Mosfet (A/B) main amp and whose tone I really like, so I suspect I'm going to take a real shine to the this Ashdown head also.
[/quote]

The power section in the DOOM head will be A/B. The only class D heads Ashdown currently make are the Rootmaster and OriginAl :)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1509264755' post='3397578']
The power section in the DOOM head will be A/B. The only class D heads Ashdown currently make are the Rootmaster and OriginAl :)
[/quote]

Cheers for that - that's excellent. Any idea on likely weight?

PMT online are opening a store in central / east London about 30 mins from me and they seem to be a main Ashdown retailer. So I defo want to check this out when it arrives. I'll have to admit I'm finding it totally GAS inducing(!) and I'm in the market for a decent amp head (hence this thread), so the timing of its release couldn't have come at a better (worse?) time...:)

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1509277917' post='3397711']
Looks like a black ABM600 with creative knob titling to me......
And a second VU instead of a compressor
:ph34r:
[/quote]

Ah, but at [size=8][i][b][color=#ff0000]666[/color][/b][/i][/size] watts!! :lol:

Edited by Conan

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1505748663' post='3373987']
The LM3 is a very nice amp indeed. I've had one in combo form or head for many years now. At one point I was LM3-less and I quickly had to fix that and got another. It may not be the absolute best, but it always does a good job.

I once compared a Streamliner 900, the LM3 and a Mesa D800 side by side through the same speakers (2x or 4x TKS S112) in a rehearsal room with a loud band. The D800 felt bigger, but I didn't feel there wasn't a huge difference in volume between the LM3 and the D800. These days my favourite amp is a D800+... I love the voice and HPF controls and the amp just sounds great, but the LM3 is not going anywhere.
[/quote]

The EQ on the D800+ does look amazing and it's clearly a step up from the D800 (which is reflected in the D800 being 20% cheaper). But does the D800 series come anywhere close to capturing the gorgeous Mesa 'sound' epitomised by their MX-Carbine series? If it does, then this model (together with the Trickfish Bulhead 1K and Genzler Magellan 800) definitely needs to be added to a 'best of' shortlist.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1510190628' post='3404598']
The EQ on the D800+ does look amazing and it's clearly a step up from the D800 (which is reflected in the D800 being 20% cheaper). But does the D800 series come anywhere close to capturing the gorgeous Mesa 'sound' epitomised by their MX-Carbine series? If it does, then this model (together with the Trickfish Bulhead 1K and Genzler Magellan 800) definitely needs to be added to a 'best of' shortlist.
[/quote]

I'm not familiar with the Carbine amps, but over at TalkBass some seem to think it gets close enough.
The D800 is a little 'dark' by default. The D800+ has a bright switch that I always have engaged. I find it sounds nicer if I end up cutting some high end either at my bass or amp's EQ than trying to boost things using the D800. I've had many positive comments from sound people while using the D800+, both DI'd and when using the Barefaced Two10 cabs. Our trombone player loves bass and the first time I showed up with the D800+ plus Two10s he kept looking back at the amp and at one point he was playing with his back to the audience right in front of my amp, immersed in bass and looking happy :lol: He was later asking me what I did different to other times because he was absolutely loving the bass :) (He's very experienced, been around in many bands since the early 80s. He was in the Dexys Midnight Runners back in the day and has stayed playing live since... so he's heard his share of bass amps)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1510260848' post='3405192']
I'm not familiar with the Carbine amps, but over at TalkBass some seem to think it gets close enough.
The D800 is a little 'dark' by default. The D800+ has a bright switch that I always have engaged. I find it sounds nicer if I end up cutting some high end either at my bass or amp's EQ than trying to boost things using the D800. I've had many positive comments from sound people while using the D800+, both DI'd and when using the Barefaced Two10 cabs. Our trombone player loves bass and the first time I showed up with the D800+ plus Two10s he kept looking back at the amp and at one point he was playing with his back to the audience right in front of my amp, immersed in bass and looking happy :lol: He was later asking me what I did different to other times because he was absolutely loving the bass :) (He's very experienced, been around in many bands since the early 80s. He was in the Dexys Midnight Runners back in the day and has stayed playing live since... so he's heard his share of bass amps)
[/quote]

Thanks for getting back on that. Interestingly what you say about the D800 ties in with Osiris' excellent [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/303884-amp-test-drive%3B-aguilar-darkglass-genzler-and-mesa-boogie/"]Amp Test Drive[/url] which he posted earlier this year and I'd also found the D800 to be a bit 'meh' when I played through one at Guitar Guitar in Camden, so I guess I'd kinda dismissed the D800 series as a possibility, despite completely loving my Mesa M6 Carbine. However you're also not the first person to say how much better the D800+ (with its semi parametric EQ and HPF) is than the D800 so I think it definitely needs to get back onto a [b]D class 'shortlist'[/b], which for me is currently looking like:

Mesa D800+
Genzler Magellan 800
Eich T900
Aguilar AG 700

...these first four I can try out at Bass Direct and I guess I should probably try out the Bergantino (Dood "the dude"'s favourite) and Glockenlang while I'm there!

But the amp still at the top of my list is one I may need to just go out on a limb on, without trying first, if I decide to get, as there is no UK stockist (why?!). It's getting rave reviews over at Talkbass and seems to have nailed the EQ points whilst providing excellent tone. It's the:

Trickfish Bullhead 1K

IIRC, it's simple to do. You modulate the input signal with the input signal phase shifted by 90 degrees. Edited by tauzero

I recently got the Trickfish Bullhead .5K after considering all the amps mentioned in this thread. Obviously everybody is looking for their own thing sound wise but for me the Bullhead won because right from the offset it just sounded great. Simple, effective controls, really nice DI and clean headphone out. I've got it paired with a Berg AE212 and it's surprisingly loud. The one amp I didn't try is the Genzler. I suspect I'd have really liked that too but I ended my search when the Bullhead turned up. Anyway, anyone considering the Trickfish amps should keep them at the top of their list!

Wunjos in Tottenham Court Road have a GR 700 in stock after one of their Italian customers (a chap by the name of Alex) recommended they get one. After the BIG recommendation from Davide Shorty's bass player I was looking forward to trying this out. Well having done so, my reaction is:

- well, that's now ticked off my list!

- same price as a GM 800. Really?!

- utterly dull (and the gimmicky fairy lights didn't detract from its dullness)

- the various tonal boosts had little effect;

- Markbass really do have nothing to worry about;

- the AG700, they also had in stock, completely outshone it as an amp (and btw I couldn't believe how compact the Aggie 410 we played through is or that it weighs a ton (98 lbs) and sadly costs a bomb = £1,290!);

- the staff in Wunjos (Lawrence and Ryan were holding the fort on Saturday with no sign of any of the Tom Toms) agreed with my assessment, as did Cameron;

- I fully understand why it's not been sold.

I'll get off the fence and stop pulling my punches now xD

Edited by Al Krow

Best amp I've ever owned for pure power and tone that routinely sounded good in any situation was an Ampeg SVT-CL. Though technically 300W,  it's 300 valve watts and is a beast. It's also a beast to carry. Even so, I wish I still owned it.

The best amp I've ever owned for pure power and tone that routinely sounded good in any situation THAT CAN REASONABLY BE CARRIED by one person without bursting one's scrotum is the Gallien-Krueger MB500 Fusion, a fantastically versatile amp that I really, really, wish I hadn't sold. That is all.

In the last few years I have used the following, I play mostly hard rock/metal, but also jump into other projects like blues or jazz/electronica fusion, occasionally.

• An old HH VS-Bassamp (100 W), listed for reference
  • Ibanez Promethean P500 (500 W)
  • Mesa Carbine M9 (900 W), still own it
  • Gallien Kruger MB550 Fusion (550 W)
  • Phil Jones Bassbuddy (5 W), own
  • Darkglass Microtubes M900 (900 W), own

The Bassbuddy I keep for convenience at home. All amps used with a TKS 112 or TKS W2126. 

I have also extensively tried the following, which I really liked (not listing those I didn't like), over the weekend as a result of housing bass metups. All tried with their own cabs (Subway, etc):

• Aguilar DB751
  • Mesa Strategy 
  • Mesa Subway D800
  • Vanderklay Aurora

My favourite amp was the Mesa M9, but my now two favourites are the 

• Darkglass M900
  • Mesa D800

The Darkglass for the modern clean rock tone, with ability to ad my favourite overdrives/distortions built in, in a great package and price. The Mesa for the traditional tone, specially when played through the Subway 112 and 115 cabs. If I played jazz/blues more, I probably would use a Mesa D800. But the Darkglass amp is the only thing I use now. Can't make up my mind if I should sell the M9 or not. 

Edited by bjelkeman

@bjelkeman thanks very much for sharing that.

Mesa M9 & Aguilar 751

The Mesa M9 is an awesome amp - I have the M6 with a Mesa 2x12 and it is just a gorgeous creamy sound and the M9 takes the M6 I believe and improves on it by adding additional EQ features. So I can understand why the M9 was your favourite amp!

The Aguilar DB751 is supposed to be one of the best amp heads out there but with a (new) price tag of £2,600(!) you'd hope it would be good. At 42 lbs (without a hard flight case and I'm pretty sure no one is taking that around without some pretty decent casing!) it's not exactly light.  It has apparently significantly reduced the fan noise on its much loved predecessor the DB750.

What's interesting about both these families of fantastic amps is that they have a similar internal architecture with a valve pre-amp (one 12Ax7 in the case of the M6 and M9, and three 12Ax7s in the Aggies) and in the power amp neither are using class D modules but MOSFETs. 

DG M900

If you're playing hard rock / metal the DG M900 will be right up your street, I agree!! There have been SIX DG M900s listed in the FS since October (with four still available), which is an unusual glut and I can't help wondering whether the 'fizzy' DG overdrive sound is no longer 'flavour of the month' which it seemed to be at the start of the year. Apparently the clean EQ on the M900s is excellent but folk are a little wary of spending money on something that has an overdrive sound that they are unlikely to use / don't like? And there's also been a LOT of angst about the pricing on their new cab range as you already know! Maybe the solution is for them to come up with an amp head without the overdrive - just a thought? I know you're in close contact with the DG team so it would be interesting to see if there is any appetite in the suggestion or whether the DG brand is now inextricably linked for themselves and the bass public with their fizzy metal overdrive sound?

Mesa D800

Been a few slightly mixed reviews about this amp on this thread: a few folk who have tried both prefer the EQ on the D800+ (and it makes sense that the D800+ should be the better amp head given its more versatile EQ and Mesa are charging 25% more than the D800 for it!). I'm particularly interested in the fact that you have both the D800 and the Mesa M9 and wondering how close you feel the new 'kid on the block' i.e. the D800 gets to its illustrious forbears in terms delivering that gorgeous Mesa M tone?