Why become a member? ×

Backing Tracks - Any users?

FuNkShUi

We use about 4-5 tracks in a 32 song set.

I do it a slightly longwinded way but otherwise works well. First I'll buy the track in www.karaoke-version.co.uk and then download each of the instruments we want to have on the backing track and the click separately. This allows me to use them in a DAW (in my case reaper) by importing each instrument separately. I can now mix my own tracks and adjust levels of each part and add eq / compression etc where needed to individual parts. Once mixed I pan the click left and everything else right. I then put a limiter / clipper on the click and the same on the instrument parts and some compression so all of my track have consistent levels of both click and track (you'll be amazed how much volume varies from track to track and it can blow the mix if you don't have an engineer on the desk all night).
Doing it this way also allows me to edit structure and create tracks for medleys. We do a ten minute Earth Wind and Fire medley that I created a track for this way.

Once completed I export them as mp3s which I play on an android tablet using a free app called Songer which is especially for backing track live playback. Using a splitter cable the track goes to the desk and the click to a little mixer that the drummer uses for his in ears. I send him an in ear mix back to this little mixer from the desk where he can mix it with the click. It means he can easily adjust click volume in his ears on the fly.

We all use in ears and would struggle without them.

Hope that helps - clear as mud lol.

Edited by mrtcat

If you are a functions band, I would have said they are pretty much essential unless you have a ten piece +band!

Used to make & sell mine as well as using them live - with a duo, trio and solo. Nowadays the punters expect a lot more in terms of "sounding like the record" unfortunately. Nowadays I use a guitar, a stomp box and me. And of course in duo stuff I have a guitar player & I play bass.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1496823866' post='3314018']In my acoustic duo i play in, we were considering adding a backing track to fill the sound up [/quote]

A friend does a 1 man show with backing tracks. He records his own tracks and runs everything from a lap top into the PA. This is more than just "filling the sound up". Close your eyes and there is a band playing.

Another friend who is a keyboard player has recently been recording tracks for him as well. I don't know what they use for this but both have Apples and use Logic when were recording band stuff.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1497078298' post='3315660']
Totally understand using them if you are a solo artist or duo.
If you are a full band i.e. guitar, bass, drums etc, IMO I call it cheating.
[/quote]
Don't quite follow your logic there. Surely if it is cheating for a band it is an even bigger cheat for a solo artist/duo?

I've just joined a band where they run tracks. The drummer triggers it with a Roland SPD SX, he also runs in ears and plays to a click.
I might end up going with in ears too I think. The tracks are good, not sure where they're from, but I guess it's all MIDI as he can remove whatever element we don't want and also rearrange and shift keys.

Edited by M@23

Using a system as above ^^, it is not necessary to run backing tracks from end to end without a break. Depending on repertoire, it can be useful to have 'em cut into shorter segments, which would allow for breaks for 'only live' periods, and allow for easily accounting for any 'drift' that may occur , to re-synchronise the ensemble if required. We've used this in the past with a ska/punk/rock group that had sampled parts, triggered by a clicked Danny Boy on drums.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1497078298' post='3315660']
Totally understand using them if you are a solo artist or duo.
If you are a full band i.e. guitar, bass, drums etc, IMO I call it cheating.
[/quote]

I get your point if you are talking about miming perhaps, but adding sounds that you don't already have isn't cheating surely.

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1497100889' post='3315852']

I get your point if you are talking about miming perhaps, but adding sounds that you don't already have isn't cheating surely.
[/quote]

IMO you should only really play covers that suit the instrumental set up of the band i.e. If you are playing a load of covers in your set that prominently feature a horn section, get a horn section, I know keyboards can try and emulate this but they never sound right to me.

I have experimented with backing tracks on my solo gigs.

As I only play originals I've had to make the backing tracks myself, on Garageband on my iPad.

The tracks themselves are very sparse; just drums or percussion, a bass line and maybe some keys. I play acoustic guitar and sing.

It's easy to hook the iPad up to the PA, and the tracks have a count-in. I'm not totally comfortable using them live yet, but I'm going to stick with it as I see potential in filling out the sound and also doing something a little but different from other solo acoustic performers.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1497114287' post='3315977']
If you are playing a load of covers in your set that prominently feature a horn section, get a horn section, I know keyboards can try and emulate this but they never sound right to me.
[/quote]

What if you're not playing a load of covers that require horns but you have a small number of songs that do? You're right, keyboards struggle to emulate horns hence the use of tracks. We're booked solid and all of our clients appreciate that they aren't paying the extra £600 a night for us to include three horn players. Luckily, you're opinion is just that and isn't shared by the people booking us.

Edited by mrtcat

In my dream band I have a trio of immaculately dressed ladies and well groomed gentlemen who do both BVs and brass. These don't fit easily in the average pub gig and they are expecting to be paid so it's a chorus pedal on the BV mic and tasteful horn samples from a backing track 'till we get "noticed".

[Wakes up] That's right after I learn to walk the bass.

Just catching up on all of this after a weekend away.
Thanks for the input.
@MrTCat[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1497129699' post='3316111']
[/quote]
That is a heck of a way to go about doing it!! I'm not sure i totally understand in all honesty! Might need to send you a message if thats ok?

Haha yes by all means. I'm not the best at describing. You really don't need to do it in such a complex way but it is worth finding a way to make sure all the tracks are of a similar volume. Some are much louder than others and all I'm really doing is trying to make them consistent

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1496833074' post='3314119']
I've been currently depping on a lot of gigs through an agency and all of their acts use backtracks.

The track is full of 'sweetner', keys, horns, synth bass e.t.c - Works well with some of the new dance track.

We all have IEMs and click is in our ears, if you're lucky you'll get a guide track as well. Perfect for a last minute dep!

Having said all that, I'm not the biggest fan.
[/quote]

Earcandy, by any chance?

Rehearsed last night with an 80s band that have started to use them to "enhance" the sound. I have to say I really liked it.

For a start the tempos are solid as its to a click. Not that this particular drummer needs it but I know of a few things I also play in that would benefit from this alone. Just this one factor is really good. Its as easy as playing along to a youtube clip.

Even just having the percussion only added in is really good. OK you cant go off from the arrangement once its set but for a regular gigging covers band how often do you need to do that? Another plus for this band is that those gigs they cant get a dep keys player in time or pubs that dont pay enough for the regular line up......

Downside is that eventually all bands end up using the same backing tracks and we all sound the same!! :D