Why become a member? ×

Backing Tracks - Any users?

FuNkShUi

Not wanting to get into an argument whether you like them or not.
Just hoping to speak to anyone with experience of using them.
So what program do you use?
In my acoustic duo i play in, we were considering adding a backing track to fill the sound up , and potentially enable me to play bass in some of the songs, rather than acoustic guitar all the time.
How does it work? Do you just download the song you want and then filter out the instruments you don't want in the track?
Do you take your laptop to your gig and then plug that straight into your PA?
Whats the deal? All advice welcome as i have no idea about any aspect of it! Give me an idiots guide :)
Edit to say if this should be in a different topic, please feel free to move it

Edited by FuNkShUi

There are lots of web sites that sell backing tracks where you can select what instruments you want to remove and also adjust the key. You can usually hear a sample before you buy. They are normally around a pound each and you download them as an mp3.

Just Google mp3 backing tracks.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1496826062' post='3314041']
Also look at the FAQ part of the web sites and see if they guarantee the backing tracks they are offer have definite endings. Surprising how many backing tracks have fade outs which sound awful live.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Especially this tip!

I'll get shot down for saying but have you considered a twist right out of the eighties? Use a reel to reel to make your own backing tracks and have it highly visible on stage with you.

Think I'll put on my kevlar vest and Y-fronts on now...

From the early 80s until about 10 years ago every single band I was in used some kind of pre-recorded or pre-programmed backing as part of our live sound.

I've nearly always created my own backings, using Logic on the Mac since the early 90s, which gave me the most flexibility when it comes to play back solutions: I could use a laptop to replay the track direct from Logic; I could save the MIDI data as a standard MIDI file and play that back using a MIDI file player (my preferred solution was the one built in to the Akai samplers) controlling synths and samplers; I could mix the track down into stereo (or mono with a click track on the other channel) and run it from a CD player, Minidisk player or iPod.

I have worked with bought backing tracks in the past, and unless you are planning on playing the song exactly as the recording, it is always best to go for MIDI tracks rather than recordings as it will allow you to load the track up into your DAW of choice and modify the arrangement to suit the way that you play the song.

However I personally wouldn't bother with backing at all. For me the whole point of an acoustic duo is that it is re-interpretations of the songs that showcase the qualities two acoustic guitars and two voices. That's what I would be wanting to see and hear.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1496827159' post='3314052']
From the early 80s until about 10 years ago every single band I was in used some kind of pre-recorded or pre-programmed backing as part of our live sound.

I've nearly always created my own backings, using Logic on the Mac since the early 90s, which gave me the most flexibility when it comes to play back solutions: I could use a laptop to replay the track direct from Logic; I could save the MIDI data as a standard MIDI file and play that back using a MIDI file player (my preferred solution was the one built in to the Akai samplers) controlling synths and samplers; I could mix the track down into stereo (or mono with a click track on the other channel) and run it from a CD player, Minidisk player or iPod.

I have worked with bought backing tracks in the past, and unless you are planning on playing the song exactly as the recording, it is always best to go for MIDI tracks rather than recordings as it will allow you to load the track up into your DAW of choice and modify the arrangement to suit the way that you play the song.

However I personally wouldn't bother with backing at all. For me the whole point of an acoustic duo is that it is re-interpretations of the songs that showcase the qualities two acoustic guitars and two voices. That's what I would be wanting to see and hear.
[/quote]

Thanks for all that info. I'll have to read up on some of the stuff you've mentioned, but i'll do that.
Yeh we will still do some of the songs acoustic, as we enjoy making our own arrangements.
But i just want to be able to have the option to do other things too

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1496826962' post='3314050']
I'll get shot down for saying but have you considered a twist right out of the eighties? Use a reel to reel to make your own backing tracks and have it highly visible on stage with you.

Think I'll put on my kevlar vest and Y-fronts on now...
[/quote]

:lol:
I'll have to look in to how to make my own backing tracks using a reel to reel.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. They will all get looked into, to see what will suit us most

Hiya Kert,

Must pop round for that cuppa we been on about for a long time!

We've used backing tracks for synth lines etc, when we have what we need, we generally have a stereo track with the music on the right and a click track on the left.

You can then feed the click to in-ears only for time keeping with the music, and the track to FOH..

Never used them, but...

Reckon that if you want to go the backing track route the key words here are [i]discipline [/i]and [i]rehearsal[/i]. There is no recovery when things go awry.

We played with a band who did use them; credit to them for trying but it was all a bit hands on as they were firing them off via an iPod nano. It was a disaster in the making really...the drummer was pushing play but clearly didn't have enough time to drop the iPod [i]and [/i]do a four count, so backing vocal and keyboard backing tracks were coming in at the wrong time, plus the drummer didn't seem to be able to play to a click, so timings were going up and down.

Just to throw something else in, their lead guitarist had a bit of a look-at-me thing going on and was changing guitars every song to accommodate different tunings; the rhythm guitarist just used a capo. Go figure. On the last song, the lead guy had the wrong guitar, tunings were off [i]and [/i]the backing vocals and keys were coming in early as well. Terrible.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1496827879' post='3314065']
Hiya Kert,

Must pop round for that cuppa we been on about for a long time!

We've used backing tracks for synth lines etc, when we have what we need, we generally have a stereo track with the music on the right and a click track on the left.

You can then feed the click to in-ears only for time keeping with the music, and the track to FOH..
[/quote]

Lew, your always welcome mate.
Just a case of organising a time when we are both free.
I'm away this weekend, but ill get in touch Monday and see if we can sort something?
Do you record your own backing track? Or record them yourself?

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496829281' post='3314083']
Reckon that if you want to go the backing track route the key words here are [i]discipline [/i]and [i]rehearsal[/i]. There is no recovery when things go awry.

[/quote]

Good point!
I've just had a quick look through some of the "custom backing tracks" where you can filter in and out the different parts you want.
Looks pretty good to be fair. Will be far quicker than trying to record the backing tracks myself.
Obviously, some of the parts in songs sound better than others, so will have to make sure to have a good listen before doing that

I have some experience of playing along to backing tracks...but never to a gigging level.

The singer I was working with used [url="http://www.karaoke-version.com."]http://www.karaoke-version.com.[/url] He downloaded the full track and then used his DAW to filter out certain instruments. I played mainly acoustic guitar over the tracks and I have to admit...I just didn't like it. I like my music to have a bit of push and pull and a bit of spontaneity, all of which is missing when using backing tracks. Also, I'm not the greatest guitarist in the world...I'm pretty terrible., so that didn't help :D

However...if you can handle the discipline to stick to exact tempos and structures...backing tracks are a good way to make your music sound massive! The times that we got it right it did sound awesome!

Edited by paul h

You may find this of interest (if you are a mac user)

[url="https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiTkJjmwqvUAhWLIMAKHQBrA1oQtwIIMDAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2DsYcd7Xmus&usg=AFQjCNGxrBm3deFBRBIPnZAGQtkx0xZWGw&sig2=x8_OZdJNi44Agk_hgFh-hQ"]How to Run Backing Tracks In MainStage - YouTube[/url]

I played in a band a while back that used MiDi backing tracks and a MiDi player. The tracks were easily available to download, (for free usually), and we would "tweek" them using an editor.
that said our vocalist now has a duo and uses MP3 backing tracks played on a tablet straight into the PA. He gets the tracks from KaraokeVersion http://www.karaoke-version.co.uk/ and if you select the Custom option you can remove the parts you don't want.
the great thing about KV is that once you have bought the track you can download as many different versions as you like. So if, for arguments sake, you download it and find the key is wrong, download again in a different key. The quality is awesome and usually every bit as good as the original.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1496831086' post='3314098']
I have some experience of playing along to backing tracks...but never to a gigging level.

The singer I was working with used [url="http://www.karaoke-version.com."]http://www.karaoke-version.com.[/url] He downloaded the full track and then used his DAW to filter out certain instruments. I played mainly acoustic guitar over the tracks and I have to admit...I just didn't like it. I like my music to have a bit of push and pull and a bit of spontaneity, all of which is missing when using backing tracks. Also, I'm not the greatest guitarist in the world...I'm pretty terrible., so that didn't help :D

However...if you can handle the discipline to stick to exact tempos and structures...backing tracks are a good way to make your music sound massive! The times that we got it right it did sound awesome!
[/quote]
Beat me to it :-)

I rehearsed with a new band using a backing track to provide keyboard & orchestral parts as we have only bass/drums/guitar/vocal at the moment. I can ask the guitarist what he was using, but it was definitely coming off a laptop. I had the impression he was using a footswitch to start/stop it, and possibly for more. With a good drummer playing to the click, it was surprisingly effective (surprising to me having never played without live musicians before).

I've been currently depping on a lot of gigs through an agency and all of their acts use backtracks.

The track is full of 'sweetner', keys, horns, synth bass e.t.c - Works well with some of the new dance track.

We all have IEMs and click is in our ears, if you're lucky you'll get a guide track as well. Perfect for a last minute dep!

Having said all that, I'm not the biggest fan.

Every band I've been in, that used back tracks the only person who could hear the click was the drummer. That way any push and pull in the song was generated by the drumming and the rest of the band played to that. Unless you either pre-programmed some "feel" into the click or were happy with everyone playing metronomically, I couldn't imagine how you could get a synchronised groove when everyone can hear the click. I certainly wouldn't want to play that way.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1496829281' post='3314083']
[/quote]

Very much this. Practice and carry on practicing until you know all your cues and no one ever makes a mistake and then have contingencies for when it does do wrong.

Cheers everyone. Some great suggestions and bits of advice.
Will do a bit more digging over the weekend.
I have garageband so thinking i will download some of the midi files, and make necessary tweaks on there.
A bit of experimentation needed anyway :)

We tried backing "atmospherics" triggered from a drum pad with the drummer a couple of years ago, think air raid sirens from "war pigs", cop car siren for "stone cold crazy", helicopters for "fortunate son" and moody moog in E for the opening of "Xanadu". It all sounded pretty good IMO but we got fed up with yet another piece of kit to set up and the punters probably didn't notice or care and it made no difference to the bottom line...