Why become a member? ×

Jazz question

Les

Got a Squier P with a jazz neck on and I love it to bits. Considering a Squier Jazz as I've never had a Jazz but I use a pick for about half the songs we do and I'm wondering if the rear pickup gets in the way ?

I don't use my Stingray as the pickup is just in the wrong place to use a pick for me.

Any views on this ?

Also how much roughly should I be paying for a second hand VM ?

ta

Les

I also play mostly Jazzes and regularly play with a pick - never had a problem and always sounds great with the extra bit of the bridge pickup ... you won't know for sure till you try one though. Is there a local music shop you can go & try one out?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1496825370' post='3314034']
Also, the larger gigbag you need for a Jazz will allow you to carry additional kebabs ...
[/quote]

Larger gig bag ???? WTF ? :unsure:

Got this I'm about to list in the 'Basses for Sale' section

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/264310-sold-squier-pro-tone-pj/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/264310-sold-squier-pro-tone-pj/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

I've added a Hipshot de-tuner, had CTS pots fitted and had a set up done.

PM me if you're interested

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1496853581' post='3314326']
As for price on a used VM? I sold my Squier VM Jazz last month for £230. If you shop around tho you might well find one for under £200. I think I picked mine up at a bargain £180.
[/quote]

Thanks mate, I'm looking second hand and in no real hurry. The one I like is 297 quid new so that give me an idea on what I'll spend.

ta

Les

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1496900530' post='3314531']
if the pickup is preventing you from playing with a pick....you need to learn how to use a pick

not being a smart arse, but you use a pick on the strings, ABOVE the pickup. You must be doing something wrong :)
[/quote]

Pretty proficient with a pick but I take your point. The only bass I have that I don't like playing with a pick (but can, just doesn't feel right) is my Stingray, but that might just be the sheer size of the Stingray pickup. I don't think the pick touches it, maybe it's just where I rest my hand. The Jazz pickup looks roughly in the same place but smaller hence the question.

Les

Doesn't appear to be a problem though could have lowered it I suppose as I raised the neck pup to balance the volumes.

Only thing is it doesn't have the annoying hum I've heard about when you solo one pickup. Not sure if I feel slightly cheated :lol: