Why become a member? ×

Montage Bass cabs from lean business audio

Sweeneythebass

Hi!

I've seen them but not tried them. My only reservation about an empty cabinet is that the cabinet should have been modelled to get a certain response from a specific speaker. Is the one you have the speaker that should go in to this size box? 'Any speaker' can work, but I've seen the results of getting it really wrong.

• 5 months later...

Hello Sweeny...

By my calculations the cabinets have gross internal volume of about 59 litres. The BL12 200x will work in that volume and give pretty reasonable results. Perhaps not optimum, I think the BL's need another 6 litres or so for that, but far from rubbish. It looks like they will give a slightly warmer sound than average(?). The curve dips down after 5-600Hz so there's room to up the mids and treble. I'll try and get a picture of a frequency response curve posted later today. 

Balcro.

• 2 months later...
On 20/11/2017 at 14:36, Balcro said:

Here's the frequency response curve -

Celestion BL12 200X f-res.jpg

As I remember it that-fall off is a WinISD software issue where it over calculates the effect of Le at the upperend  of its range Either leave Le out of a g driver data or ignore the plot much above 250Hz. Use the published. response above that as a guide.

Of course I could be wrong and wil happily be corrected..

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

As I remember it that-fall off is a WinISD software issue where it over calculates the effect of Le at the upperend  of its range Either leave Le out of a g driver data or ignore the plot much above 250Hz. Use the published. response above that as a guide.

Of course I could be wrong and wil happily be corrected..

Makes sense. There's no reason for the curve to fall off so soon. You do occasionally get a driver with that kind of sloping response, but they're usually bass drivers with heavy cones.

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 20:48, Sweeneythebass said:

This is my reservation tho... I'm I better putting £160 to a cab I know will have the sound I'm after?

This is the issue, until you've tried it you won't know how it sounds and then it's too late.  It's true of any home build even from a tried and tested design. Including the design I carried out for Basschat. Some of us like the whole process of designing and building and you can end up with specs you couldn't afford otherwise and learn a lot. It rarely goes completely wrong in that you usually end up with a workable speaker but it isn't the best way of getting a sound you want.  I also think it's a generous offer from Lean Audio to effectively customise the cab for you, by doing the design they at taking on some of the responsibility for the results so you should be fairly safe if it all goes wrong up front, and that itself is unlikely.

Only you can judge if you want the fun of a self build but if a certain sound is what you are after you are better off putting the money towards something you've tried out.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I've looked at those. They do seem rather expensive for what they are. A custom builder would not charge much more and you could specify size, ports, etc to suit the driver you wish to use. Or buy one of Bill's plans (they're not expensive) and get that built. You know they'll work, so won't be taking a chance.