Why become a member? ×

Manchester benefit gig

Owen

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1496660048' post='3312979']
Exactly. Shows what can be done in a short space of time. It was pretty flawless in terms of organisation and the Police/staff were all in high spirits.

I do think this demonstrates that maybe more of these events should take place for charity. Musicians giving up time and effort and all proceeds to a good cause.
[/quote]

+1. Great event, with some genuinely moving moments.
Mega house band, and some acts surprised me by being so good - Niall, Little Mix and Ariana herself, whose vocals were
pretty much bang on all night. Not a Coldplay fan, but thought they did well too, and Liam was okay.
All in all a well organised event with hearts truly in the right place.

Stevie Wonder was using/playing an 'Harpejji'.

http://www.marcodi.com

I should think there is a Video of Stevie on YouTube somewhere from last night.
This guy really has it nailed. It's like playing a Keyboard with vibrato...:)

http://youtu.be/pv0q6oBmZxo

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1496678023' post='3313156']
Due to recent tragic events I now know who Ariana Grande is. They played her singing Over The Rainbow in her best Mariah Carey/pub singer/X Factor stylee on the radio today. Judy Garland will be spinning in her grave.
[/quote]
That was very painful, but in the circumstances I think it took a lot of bottle for her to do what she did last night. Not my sort of music at all but impressed by the effort she has put it in various ways.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1496678023' post='3313156']
Judy Garland will be spinning in her grave.
[/quote]

Or applauding her for putting on a gig within two weeks of loads of people dying after coming to one of her gigs?

I know the term literally is overused these days and ironically by the typical audience members at her gigs but some of the people there literally hadn't smiled or laughed since the attack until last night, I've got to give her some respect for that alone.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496683014' post='3313197']

Or applauding her for putting on a gig within two weeks of loads of people dying after coming to one of her gigs?

I know the term literally is overused these days and ironically by the typical audience members at her gigs but some of the people there literally hadn't smiled or laughed since the attack until last night, I've got to give her some respect for that alone.
[/quote]

A well deserved +1

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496683014' post='3313197']

[/quote]A commendable sentiment. I was making reference to her talent though.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1496687563' post='3313238']
I actually thought her vocals were ok especially under hugely emotional circumstances.
[/quote]

Yes , dispite being a global star , she is a very young girl with a big heart who seems to have understandably taken it very personally.

I think she will become some kind of symbol for peace / democracy and perhaps go on to have some sort of role in something for good

Edited by lojo

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1496686260' post='3313228']
A commendable sentiment. I was making reference to her talent though.
[/quote]

Her talent is undeniable....how she uses that talent is of course subjective.
I thought she over sang Somewhere Over The Rainbow, but really who cares given the context. She's young, she'll grow into her voice.
I think the only part of the show I really cringed at were Katie Perry and Beiber talking to the crowd, very american, but whatever, musically I think the show was on point. And sounded good too, as has been mentioned.

Si

Si

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1496758588' post='3313678']

Somewhere Over The Rainbow is one of those songs that you can do as little or as much as you like with as there is so much space within it. I've yet to hear anyone top Streisand's interpretation. AG's version was quite tame in comparison.
[/quote]

Now John Martyn's live version is hard to beat - some gorgeous fretless bass playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DusYf1CNVXw

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1496816481' post='3313974']
So it's ok to be sh1te then?
[/quote]

It hasn't held back lots of performers over the decades, people fall over themselves for Dylan mentioned earlier, I'd honestly rather listen to the Ariana Grande album over anything he's recorded and I'm not a fan of her stuff at all.

People hear different things clearly so the best thing to do is just not listen to anything you don't like :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I thought the girl sang very well - Somewhere Over The Rainbow is an iconic song, she sang it in a style which I personally don't like, but is nevertheless a modern and popular style, and in those terms performed it very very well. She's certainly got a voice.

To compare a girl singing live under those circumstances, at the climax of a very emotion day for her, with canonical versions is churlish in the extreme. There are many great versions of the song recorded but none, I'd suggest, in those circumstances.

"Oh my god, war has been declared and there are missiles heading this way! In 3 minutes time, we're all going to be vapourised in a massive nucular blast!"
"Actually, it's pronounced 'nuclear'."