Why become a member? ×

Moses Graphite necks

Leftfret

I did a load of research when I looked at it.

Moses are the bottom of the bunch with many horror stories out there. Modulus are the top guys closely followed by Status... although I had a horrific experience with an aftermarket neck from Status.

If you haven't had experience of a graphite neck, don't invest in one without trying one first. They are a different beast and can be unfulfilling to those that love the sound of wood. I like graphite - but they can be somewhat clinical sounding... which may or may not be what you want.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1496660431' post='3312985']
Can you even get a new Modulus ones anymore?

I keep seeing facebook things about them back in business, and then nothing more for months.
[/quote]
Necks - I don't believe so, which is a shame... but even then, with getting them here, the Status option is far cheaper. Modulus seem to be back manufacturing altough in a much reduced capacity.

Hi all - thanks for the information - unfortunately Status don't offer left-handed necks (according to their website) so I'm stuck with Moses if I want to go down the graphite route.

However, I'm now wary of spending the wrong end of £300 with an outfit in Oregon - bit of a stretch to return it if it's 'duff'!!

As Fender UK seem to have stopped doing left handed replacement USA necks (or any left handed necks for that matter) - and no US companies will ship anything, new or used, with a rosewood board, its back to trawling the web/Ebay or getting a maple/maple from dear old Warmoth (and waiting months!) or 'doing a Hendrix' and sticking a righty on it.

But thanks again for all the comments - Basschat is a fantastic resource.

[quote name='Leftfret' timestamp='1496666795' post='3313054']
Hi all - thanks for the information - unfortunately Status don't offer left-handed necks (according to their website) so I'm stuck with Moses if I want to go down the graphite route.

However, I'm now wary of spending the wrong end of £300 with an outfit in Oregon - bit of a stretch to return it if it's 'duff'!!

As Fender UK seem to have stopped doing left handed replacement USA necks (or any left handed necks for that matter) - and no US companies will ship anything, new or used, with a rosewood board, its back to trawling the web/Ebay or getting a maple/maple from dear old Warmoth (and waiting months!) or 'doing a Hendrix' and sticking a righty on it.

But thanks again for all the comments - Basschat is a fantastic resource.
[/quote]

If you're happy with a wooden neck contact Jon Shuker. He built me a fretless neck just before Christmas for less than the price of a replacement fender. Plus you can have it spec'd however you want!

PM replied. :)

Basically: Moses jazz necks are rubbish in my experience.

The Status ones are superby made and super stiff. This stiffness can mean brittleness if mated to an ash body - better to use softer wood like alder or mahogany and specify a wood fingerboard to dampen further. You could always reverse headstock a Status neck. Modulus necks aren't available atm although there are rumours that Modulus will return soon under new ownership.

Another option (as suggested above) is to ask John Shuker to build you a jazz neck. However you can ask him to carbon wrap it and put a richlite (phenolic) fingerboard on. It'll have all the advantages of a full composite neck, look like a composite neck but have none of the risks of harshness because it's got that little bit of dampening with the cedar core.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1496715951' post='3313389']
PM replied. :)

Basically: Moses jazz necks are rubbish in my experience.

The Status ones are superby made and super stiff. This stiffness can mean brittleness if mated to an ash body - better to use softer wood like alder or mahogany and specify a wood fingerboard to dampen further. You could always reverse headstock a Status neck. Modulus necks aren't available atm although there are rumours that Modulus will return soon under new ownership.

Another option (as suggested above) is to ask John Shuker to build you a jazz neck. However you can ask him to carbon wrap it and put a richlite (phenolic) fingerboard on. It'll have all the advantages of a full composite neck, look like a composite neck but have none of the risks of harshness because it's got that little bit of dampening with the cedar core.
[/quote]

This.....it will cost you, but get Jon to build a carbon wrapped next for you.
Or have a Status neck with a reverse headstock.

Si

I have had basses with graphite necks by Moses, Status, Zon, Modulus and Clover.

All the graphite necks are great! The Moses jazz neck was a bit too narrow at the nut for my taste. The moses neçk is harder to install with the inserts.

If you get a graphite neck, make sure it has the relief you like or a truss rod!

Modulus flea necks are the closest to a pbass meck.