Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz options

ForestPoetry

And possible alternatives?

I love Jazz Basses, I've mainly played Ibanez and other more modern active basses but recently I've developed a real love for the back to basics, classic simplicity of a passive bass with two single coils. I've got a Squier VM and despite a couple of downsides (basswood body, the tuners suck) it's a great window into what owning a "proper" Jazz would be like. So, being that my birthday is coming up I want to take the leap and get my first proper Fender.

I've looked at the Mexican Standards. They look nice, if a little plain, and are right on the amount of money I'd be wanting to spend. I'm very interested in the 70s Classic Jazz bass and the Deluxe Active models. What are people's opinions of those here? Worth the extra £200 or so? I also noticed there's a Geddy available in the same price range, presumably Mexican?

And what are some possible alternatives? I really like the look of the Sandberg stuff in the same kindof price range, and if that's better than a MIM Fender then I'd happily jump all over it.

Thanks!

[quote name='ForestPoetry' timestamp='1496585095' post='3312455']
I've looked at the Mexican Standards. They look nice, if a little plain, and are right on the amount of money I'd be wanting to spend.
[/quote]

So your budget is about....£500? Just to get an idea.

The "classic" series Mexican Fenders have all been super nice when I've had quick noodles in the shop but there's nothing wrong with the Standard Mexican ones as gigging basses.

Personally if you've got the extra ~200 for the "classic" series models I'd be getting a nice clean used American Standard - the good ones are very good; great build quality & tone, they feel exactly how you'd want a jazz bass to feel.

Edited by Lw.

I wouldn't bother with their active versions,
A- it sounds like you want passive deep down?
B- their active circuit is rubbish!

I went for a USA standard over a Deluxe even after the boss gave me permission to spend a lot more, I have since added an Aguilar preamp to it as I don't really get on with passive basses, it is a great bass, find a post 2012 used USA Jazz and you have a proper bass for life regardless of what the nay sayers tell you, no matter how fancy the others are they are still fake knock off copies :P :lol:

If you could extend the budget a little further (assuming it's £500 +)
I would say keep a lookout for a Fender Roadworn Jazz
Yes, they're well over £1K new now, and they seem to fetch £650 or so second-hand on here
But I did spy one in freeads a short while back, which was offers around £600

The Roadworn Jazz is the bass that made me fall for Fenders again. They're MIM, but they're a cut above that (or 3) EDIT: And I've played a few really nice MIM's too....

I've owned 2x US Jazzes, and the Roadworn was better than both those, and other US and MIM Jazzes I've played....

Edited by Marc S

you won't be disappointed with a Flea bass. I am amazed how good the pickups are, especially the bridge one.
For the first time in nearly 30 years of gigging I find myself dialing in the bridge pickup.
If I didn't keep buying basses (in the past couple of months, a Status and a thunderbird) I would still be using it on all my pub gigs.
but it still comes to every gig and I'm using it this saturday

I've owned three Geddy Lee J basses - two CIJ and one (my current one) MIM. They are all outstanding basses, with excellent build quality. I think the Japanese versions slightly shade it in terms of finish, but the Mex bass sounds better...

Usually they can be had for around £500. IMO they are the best, and most consistent Fender J basses out there.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1496675144' post='3313119']
you won't be disappointed with a Flea bass. I am amazed how good the pickups are, especially the bridge one.
For the first time in nearly 30 years of gigging I find myself dialing in the bridge pickup.....
[/quote]

Another +1 for the Flea Jazz here too. Although again, it might be a bit more than your budget.....
They are fairly light and nicely balanced, and somehow, like all the RW series, they feel "played in" and comfortable... Pickups definitely sound really good too, as police squad says

Oddly enough, the Flea Jazz is cheaper new than the Fender Roadworn Jazz, yet Flea's are going for more second-hand! Supply & demand, or maybe they're just apparently more desirable?

I bought a MIM Classic 70's Jazz from Mike on here and It's the best Jazz I've owned and knocks spots off my 80's USA jazz deluxe. Paid £450 for It and It has a baddass 2 bridge. I've just had the frets levelled and crowned now the action is just superb, outrageously low with no buzz or dead notes anywhere. Great punchy sound from the stock pick ups too. 3 piece alder body but you'd be hard pressed to see the joins, I can't! I'd thoroughly recommend them but you may need to get a little work done to get it to feel right. Then again if you get it for £400/£450 a few quid on a set up is well worth it to have a great bass for little money compared to USA jazzes.

I'm in a similar position to you; I sold my stingray after it served me royally for 18 years because I had a hankering for a passive jazz bass tone, and wanted a change from active pups (my first main bass was a Korean Squire (which I still have)). I bought a new American standard jazz in 2013 and it's really good. That's not to say that Fenders aren't without their quirks, but I still love the sound of them.
It took a bit of experimenting with the set up after playing an active bass with a really low action, but once I found the right combination, I absolutely love it. Lovely organic tone, and very versatile. Second hand pries are pretty reasonable too.
Not wanting to open a can of worms, but in my personal experience, the American jazz bass is far superior to the squire if you're able to do it.

The Deluxe Active mentioned is a good bass, very versatile due to that eq range, you can get near Stingray sounds as well as near Precision sounds, plus obviously great Jazz tones. Def worth checking out.

[quote name='sellisnba' timestamp='1496680252' post='3313179']
Just out of curiosity, why isn't the squier a "proper" jazz bass?
[/quote]

yes, why? :)

I'd say go around and try all the basses you can.
I have owned many Jazz basses, including several Fender 75RI, a roadworn, and others. I only kept one, the one I liked best... it's an old battered '94 Made in Korea Squier (replaced the electronics, but the bass itself cost me £75 used). Sometimes best is not the most expensive. Basses vary so much, that buying an expensive model does not mean you'll get a better instrument than a lower one. Yes, your chances are a lot higher and they're build with better components... but it pays to shop around to find one that 'talks to you', and if it ends up being a lower end one, you know you can replace any parts that let it down easily.

[quote name='ForestPoetry' timestamp='1496585095' post='3312455']I love Jazz Basses, [/quote]

There are some wonderful Jazz basses out there: Sadowsky, Lull, Lakland etc, but if you want a Fender (and there are some very good ones around) I'd look for an American Standard jazz, from 2009 to the present day. Find one that feels good to play and then if you need to, upgrade the pickups and electrics.

Look for a nice VM Squier. I've owned an American Standard, and thought it was overpriced. The VM Squiers are great. No idea what wood they're made of (does it matter? Really? Your fingers, amp and cab make far,far more difference) but my VM Jazz is lovely

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1496676832' post='3313139']
I've owned three Geddy Lee J basses - two CIJ and one (my current one) MIM. They are all outstanding basses, with excellent build quality...
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more - my MIJ is the best jazz I've played and within a £500 budget second hand I think

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1496735741' post='3313448']
The Deluxe Active mentioned is a good bass, very versatile due to that eq range, you can get near Stingray sounds as well as near Precision sounds, plus obviously great Jazz tones. Def worth checking out.
[/quote]
love my delux Jazz. great bang for buck

I tried both the fender 60's jazz the 70's jazz and the deluxe all at the same time. did not like the 60's. loved the 70's and the delux. but i went for the delux just due to its versatility, active and passive control, great eq, great variation of tone. the 70's jazz is great but the sound you get from it is what you get. i'd go deluxe. as price is similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies! Was in the shop today trying out a few different basses, including a few Js.

The Deluxe Active I found surprisingly disappointing. It felt quite nice but the tone wasn't doing it for me. Granted the display model wasn't amazingly set up. The USA was very nice but out of my budget. Played the Flea model, which is actually one of the nicest feeling and sounding basses I've ever played, but due to the price and not being a fan of relics that was a no go. The FSR 60s Jazz was also very impressive and looked (and felt) ace, but again out of my price range. Almost went for a Rockbass Corvette with single coils. There was no Classic 70s or Geddy to try unfortunately.

In the end I settled on a nice black MIM Jazz (maple FB) which was set up really nice, and the neck felt just right to me. One black scratch plate later and it'll be grand!

Edited by ForestPoetry

Anyone know why this new Jazz would be making a wierd, slightly distorted sound? I don't recall it being noticeable in the two amps I played it through at the shop yesterday. Through my own amp and also through my mixer thru the Sansamp it makes this odd fuzzy sound when played. Weirdly it seems to happen only when the tone control is fully open. Backed off to about 75% and below, it goes away. Affects both pickups.

Fault wiring, bad solder? I haven't had a look inside yet.

Edited by ForestPoetry