Why become a member? ×

Question about Mesa D800 & 2ohm switch

mcnach

I do not understand what that switch exactly does, so I don't understand the consequences if the switch is not in the right position.

For example, if I have a 2ohm stack, and it's connected to the amp while the switch is in the 4/8ohm position... what happens there? Is it the same as connecting the 2ohm stack to any normal 4ohm min load amplifier? (Presumably it would have a protection circuit that would shut off the amp when that happens).

I'm considering this head. I tried it a while ago and I really liked it, but I only liked it a bit more than I like my LM3... however the ability to use a 2ohm stack with it has just become interesting, so I'm thinking about it. But I would not like it if it were so easy to make a terrible mistake just by flipping a little switch at the back. I've already connected the 2ohm stack to my LM3 in error once, just for 5 minutes and not loud, so the amp did not switch off (it sounded great too)... and I want a fool proof rig, since it'll be around me and I'm quite obviously a fool sometimes (and I'm one of the least foolish guys around :P)

If you're after a 2ohm small head, give the Genzler Magellan a look, too - they have the same switch (and I'm guessing much of the power amp section will be the same, too), and they're a versatile amp. I used mine with 2 x and 3 x 8 ohm Berg 112s (tho I don't have the cabs any more - in fact I don't use it much now we've gone in-ears/PA/modelling) and a couple of times I forgot to flip the switch. I emailed Genzler the first time in a bit of a panic, and Jeff replied to the effect that it wasn't a great idea, but would probably not do a lot of harm. I'd done whole loud gigs with it in the wrong position, so it can't the end of the world...

I don't think you can damage the D800 by running the wrong cabs. The built in protection seems to be pretty extensive. If a serious error occurs (as long as it's not to do with the internal components in the amp) it just goes into protection mode, which lets you turn it off and back on.

As far as I recall, if you run the 2 ohm switch on with 4 ohms worth of cabs you'll get a potential 600 watts instead of the full 800.

This was covered by a senior Mesa D800 designer on Talkbass, but I don't fancy trawling through the 1000's of posts on the D800. Drop am email to Mesa and they'll give you the definitive answer.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1496576193' post='3312362']
If you're after a 2ohm small head, give the Genzler Magellan a look, too - they have the same switch (and I'm guessing much of the power amp section will be the same, too), and they're a versatile amp. I used mine with 2 x and 3 x 8 ohm Berg 112s (tho I don't have the cabs any more - in fact I don't use it much now we've gone in-ears/PA/modelling) and a couple of times I forgot to flip the switch. I emailed Genzler the first time in a bit of a panic, and Jeff replied to the effect that it wasn't a great idea, but would probably not do a lot of harm. I'd done whole loud gigs with it in the wrong position, so it can't the end of the world...
[/quote]

Hmmm, it says 2.7ohm, not 2ohm.

The thing is I already know I like the D800.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496576396' post='3312364']
I don't think you can damage the D800 by running the wrong cabs. The built in protection seems to be pretty extensive. If a serious error occurs (as long as it's not to do with the internal components in the amp) it just goes into protection mode, which lets you turn it off and back on.

As far as I recall, if you run the 2 ohm switch on with 4 ohms worth of cabs you'll get a potential 600 watts instead of the full 800.

This was covered by a senior Mesa D800 designer on Talkbass, but I don't fancy trawling through the 1000's of posts on the D800. Drop am email to Mesa and they'll give you the definitive answer.
[/quote]

Thanks. I'll have a look on TB as well. I'm pretty sure this question must have been asked there before. But of course emailing Mesa seems like a no-brainer best option :)

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1497109637' post='3315926']
Mine is for sale..... :gas:
[/quote]

Really??? :o nooo! I was looking for a used one to save a bit of cash as these beasts are not cheap! I could not find one...

Eventually I went for a D800+... which is nice as I like the HPF (the semiparametric controls are a bonus but not necessary, as the D800 works very well as it is, as I found out... but I would have absolutely gone for your D800 had I known. Is it advertised here? How did I miss it??? :(

[quote name='deksawyer' timestamp='1497191927' post='3316434']
I'm only now considering selling it as I'm not gigging as much now after leaving The Polis, so I've not advertised it anywhere.....

D.
[/quote]

Oh, I see... I wish I had known.
It'll sell in a heartbeat, 'though, I am sure. I kind of like the idea of owning the very amp I tried in the first place... ah well.

So I never got to see The Polis!

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1497202401' post='3316513']
Do what I've done, stick some insulating tape on the switch so it can't move to 2ohm by mistake.
[/quote]

It's not a problem running it switched to 2 ohm when your load is 4 or lower......some people think it sounds better this way....

D.