Why become a member? ×

1980's Mighty Mite beauty

These are few and far between. In the 1980s the original Mighty Mite (The US company) created these really nice basses. The US built parts were shipped over to the UK and assembled by Peter Cook (John Entwistle's bass builder/luthier).

I own one that I bought back in 1984 and it's a really lovely bass. Mine has bound edges and is sunburst. The electronics are top notch and the pickups sound fantastic.

The nut on mine is 42 mm and the neck has really nice rolled edges.

I'd buy this myself if I didn't already have one. Definitely worth the £250 he's asking (they originally cost £425 in the 80s which wasn't cheap back then).

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Early-1980s-Mighty-Mite-Rock-II-Bass-Peter-Cook/311884030795?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D43782%26meid%3D42231d43f0d54b39997bcd3f6b1c4b71%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D162533219667"]http://www.ebay.co.u...%3D162533219667[/url]

If you do buy it, I recommend asking the selling if the truss rod works ok as, after 30 odd years, mine has seized up.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1496665943' post='3313047']
Don't think I've ever seen a bass before that actually had flat frets... is that original or has it been done afterwards?
[/quote]

I checked mine, which are very fat, low, flat, frets. Very different to the frets on my Fenders which are high and narrow.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1496685709' post='3313223']
I checked mine, which are very fat, low, flat, frets. Very different to the frets on my Fenders which are high and narrow.
[/quote]
Hmmm, interesting, have honestly (in 27 years of bass playing) never seen frets like that. Do you notice much of a difference from your Fenders when you play the Mighty Mite?

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1496689605' post='3313255']
Hmmm, interesting, have honestly (in 27 years of bass playing) never seen frets like that. Do you notice much of a difference from your Fenders when you play the Mighty Mite?
[/quote]

Not really but it's a very comfortable neck with a nut size a little bit slimmer than a normal P bass. Probably 70's sized as it was made in the early 80s.

I got this - I had contacted the seller and asked all the usual questions, the frets are low and flat but the bass plays very well. It's every bit as good as my Fender and nearly as nice as my JV Precisions although it is a wee bit heavier than the Squiers. Quality is superb, a 'proper' pro US parts bass for not very much cash. I'm pleased with the sound too it's got a nice growl only tamed when using it in conjunction with the Jazz pickup. It has been advertised on here too a few years ago and for a good deal more than I paid. Nice to see bargains still come up on Fleabay. God knows how long I'll hold on to it for though as I bought a Gordy headless bass at the same time! 😩

Edited by ash

It's certainly good quality and the hardware is all first class Schaller etc. The chap who tried to sell it on here wanted a good deal more for it but I don't think it's worth anywhere near what he was asking....
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212389-mighty-mite-4-string-bass-guitar-for-sale/
I did take a gamble on it but if I were to play it in a shop I'd think it was underpriced at £250.