Why become a member? ×

Ampeg B-15 - should I get one?

Jenny_Innie

Trying one would be a good plan - if that's the sound you want and you don't need a whole lot of volume, it's a classic. Though there may be other routes to investigate for a low wattage valve amp with that kind of flavour. Do I remember you saying you were using a Barefaced Retro 2x10? One of the new Ampeg P50T heads on top of that would probably get you to a similar place, with more versatile EQ and useful features like a DI output. Or there are other heads which are going for a similar sound, like the EBS T90.

Yep, trying one would be a good call and bear in mind the volume limitations (usually 30w) if you want to gig it.

Andybaxterbass.com usually carries a few original examples, then there is the late 1990's Diamond Blue 100w and more recent Heritage versions which may still be available.

The odd one does turn up in the classified sections here.

Great amp.

I should clarify. I have lots of gear to gig with including a few Barefaced cabs. This Ampeg one would be for "indoors". I bought myself a house and I'm having it decorated right now. I'm placing musical things around the place in a way that they blend in with the room decor.

I'm looking for pieces that are sort of works of art but they've got to be "best of breed". That way they're also talking points.

I have a Martin acoustic, a 60s AC30, a Hammond and Leslie etc. I think the Ampeg might fit the bill quite nicely but I'd like to get my hands on one as I'm aware it's gonna be pricey.

Here's my old Gibson amp already in the library to show you what I mean.

Edited by Jenny_Innie

Rather expensive "ornaments" Jennie, but that Gibson amp does fit in very well, you obviously have a good interior designer mind. Plus being able to use said Gibson (and others) plus the intended Ampeg B15 makes those "ornaments" much more useful than regular ones.

Working ornaments Lozz. I wanna play music anywhere in the house without getting gear out and making a mess.

The Gibson amp is a total marvel. It's 30 watts class A all valve with stereo reverb. THE best clean sound out there IMO. When you have the stereo reverb on, and with the hard oak flooring, the sound fills the room in a way that you can't easily tell which direction the sound is coming from..

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1496601400' post='3312613']
I should clarify. I have lots of gear to gig with including a few Barefaced cabs. This Ampeg one would be for "indoors". I bought myself a house and I'm having it decorated right now. I'm placing musical things around the place in a way that they blend in with the room decor.

I'm looking for pieces that are sort of works of art but they've got to be "best of breed". That way they're also talking points.

I have a Martin acoustic, a 60s AC30, a Hammond and Leslie etc. I think the Ampeg might fit the bill quite nicely but I'd like to get my hands on one as I'm aware it's gonna be pricey.

Here's my old Gibson amp already in the library to show you what I mean.
[/quote]

Yep, mine is 99.9% home use only, and I built an entire bedroom around it. Sad but true, but when you plug a passive Fender into it...:-)

I think it is better to test alternatives like the [url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/amps/ebs-classic-t90/"]EBS T90[/url] or the [url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/amps/ampeg-b25b/"]Ampeg B25B[/url]. The B-15 is a nice sounding amp and my "holy grail" of bass-sound. But this amp has one disadvantage: low power.
The newer [url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/amps/ampeg-portaflex-pf-50t/"]Ampeg PF-50T[/url] isn´t a alternative to the B-15 sound. That are nice sounding amps with a lot of helpful features, but they sounds in another way as a B-15. Closer in sound is a [url="https://www.disssa.de/reviews/amps/ampeg-portaflex-pf-20t/"]Ampeg PF-20T[/url]. But like the B-15, this amps has less power...

I had the Heritage B-15 and thought it had plenty of power, I moved it on because it was too awkward / heavy and precious to gig with, it was sat looking beautiful in my front room but wasted, I gigged it a couple of times in medium venues and it was fantastic, just far too precious to gig. I now have a Mesa walkabout 15 which is my main gigging amp, I'd say equally beautiful, more head room and far easier to transport.

I bought a beautiful, near mint, '67 B-15 with a slightly similar idea.

I wanted a relatively small, low powered amp to sit in my study so I could admire the looks whilst enjoying the sound when practicing.

It certainly fit the bill on both counts but eventually I felt 'guilty' that this amazing recording combo was being used partly for decororstion and only being played through now and then.

I sold it to a pro player who moved it into a classy recording studio where it remains to this day and still being used for what it was designed - providing lovely bass tones for recorded music :)

If you can try out one the 90's Diamond Blue ones then they are superb, and look cool. Always had good comments on the tone of it. Only got rid of mine because 100w and a single 15" cone wasnt enough to do the venues I ended up doing. Also completely randomly I was just cleaning out the loft.. and for some reason ive still got the original manual, happy to post that to you if you get one!

I've used two, both vintage models and would err on the side of caution. Both were studio bound, and maintained by the top guys in the industry, one was incredibly noisy and the other broke. I know that's anecdotal information but from the experience I was put right off them. I'm looking forward to third time lucky!

B15s are lovely things, but their utility value is limited - see comments above. Remember the bass on a lot of the classic recordings was DI'd (at Mowtown, for example - where they designed/built a lot of their own equipment) and the amp only served as a monitor in the studio. So a B15 won't give you instant Jamerson sound. If you have the money and just fancy owning one, though, go for it. Far worse things to spend your hard earned on and you should get your money back when you sell it if you buy wisely.

Nah, I have a 67 B15. They are heavy, awkward, the will only tolerate passive basses, they blow fuses, they have separate power supplies.......and so on. However, the description of them as limited is wrong. These amps were designed to have bass, guitar and other instruments plugged into them. I have a selection of P's & J's ranging from early Pre CBS through to modern. You know when you see a review where the person says, yeah this amp is really transparent, every guitar sound just like itself. Well they have never plugged into a 50 year old B15n. If I put my 65 P on flats and a mute through it roll of the top and its sounds Jamerson. Plug in a 62 J and bang there it is bright ans a button and perfect, a 66 J poppy and bright. You barely touch the EQ just roll it almost all the way up for everything and tweak back the treble. These guys got it right a half a century ago.

A B15 will give you a Jameson sound cos mine does aided by an old P, flats and a bit of sponge :-)

No this isn't a gigging amp its not load enough and it has no DI but that sound is just joyous. A good mic for recording and away you go. Want one for your living room to love and enjoy you won't do much better.

You can pick them up for as little as £1500 so be patient. Its worth the wait.

Edited by pmjos