Why become a member? ×

Little Mark falling apart ?

MarshallBTB

Was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the little mark heads and the plastic front plates cracking and bits breaking off ?
I bought a little mark tube last October, along with the mark bass case for it to live in. It's had light use, (don't use an amp on 80% of my gigs) yet I have an increasingly scratchy gain and volume pot, and the corners of the front plate are breaking off.
Contacted the shop I bought it from (new) and have been told it's not covered by the warranty, and that I might be able to get a new front plate sent to me and to spray the pot with contact cleaner.
Am I being silly or is this a bit naff ? I shouldn't have to spray it this soon, and change the plate myself? I would have thought I'd be able to return the amp...at least exchange it.
Any one else had a similar experience?

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act?gclid=CjwKEAjwvMnJBRCO2NSu-Puc6AUSJAAf-OSU_iY2OEcavEowF0rvfVLjn1N2ratNdt8jSH5hcVauHxoC57Hw_wcB

Look up consumer rights act which you will need to quote to them.

No problems with the face plate on mine, but it is the older Italian issue one. However, the volume pot does scratch. I think it may well be due to the pull-to-mute feature, which is the only bug bear with the design I have.

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1496515279' post='3312055']
Was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the little mark heads and the plastic front plates cracking and bits breaking off ?
I bought a little mark tube last October, along with the mark bass case for it to live in. It's had light use, (don't use an amp on 80% of my gigs) yet I have an increasingly scratchy gain and volume pot, and the corners of the front plate are breaking off.
Contacted the shop I bought it from (new) and have been told it's not covered by the warranty, and that I might be able to get a new front plate sent to me and to spray the pot with contact cleaner.
Am I being silly or is this a bit naff ? I shouldn't have to spray it this soon, and change the plate myself? I would have thought I'd be able to return the amp...at least exchange it.
Any one else had a similar experience?
[/quote]

Having sold a lot of MarkBass gear I can definitely say they are generally very reliable and not prone to failing or even simple faults (unless customers aren't telling us for some strange reason).

Warranty claims can be tricky on some things as you have to prove that anything that's gone wrong is a manufacturing fault rather than just through usage.

E.g. If a case front cracks because it's been bolted into a rack too tightly then it's not covered by warranty. Similarly if controls start to stick or crackle because they've been left in a dusty environment and not used then that's a tricky warranty claim.

I'm not saying this is morally right or anything, just how some people will interpret warranty claims.

Our policy on something like you've experienced would be to get the amp in and see if there are things that are quickly and easily fixable by our tech before making a full warranty claim.

Scratchy pots is really common, especially if an amp hasn't been regularly used. Happens to lots of them from really cheap to the most expensive ones. First 'trick' is to simply keep rotating the pots back and forth over & over and then do it again the next day etc.

You'd be amazed how often this can cure a scratchy pot :)

The retailer can submit a warranty claim to the UK distributor once they've assessed the faults. Under a year old and you're covered by manufacturer warranty rather than sales of goods type stuff (although you get that cover too).

MLS are the UK distributor and they are super helpful and really nice guys.

Thanks, I'll see what reply I get from the retailer today and look into contacting the distributer then.
I know it's not a difficult fix, change the front plate and if needs be spray the pot, but surely brand new doing this myself would void the warranty in some way?
It's been in the mark bass soft case that they make for the little mark heads, it's quite a snug fit but if this is the problem then that's a design flaw surely?
I've used it once/twice a week in the studio for rehearsal, and it been out for 5 gigs.

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1496572012' post='3312327']
Thanks, I'll see what reply I get from the retailer today and look into contacting the distributer then.

[/quote]
You shouldn't need to contact the distributor - your contract is with the retailer, they should do this on your behalf.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1496588231' post='3312490']

You shouldn't need to contact the distributor - your contract is with the retailer, they should do this on your behalf.
[/quote]

Yep - first contact should come from the retailer who will, in turn, contact MLS.

If the retailer point blank refuse to help then you can go to MLS and say that the retailer is not being very helpful.

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1496661689' post='3312999']
I might have to, got a reply from the retailer telling me that 'due to the age of the item' I can't return or exchange it. This is nonsense right ?
[/quote]
Looking at the Consumer Rights Act (linked above) it looks like you would have to prove the item was faulty at the time of delivery; whatever that means.
How do you prove the front panel was "faulty" if the fault is that the plastic is of a type that will breakdown in sunlight?

Maybe the answer is to buy a new front panel, if MB will sell you one?

I bought it from GAK. Never had any problems with them but then again I've never had to contact their customer service before. And in fairness, they're response is quick, just a bit disappointed with the solution they've offered. Box the head up and send it off to have the pot sorted, and possibly (the front plate breaking isn't covered by the warrenty) have the front plate replaced while it's there.
Going to contact them directly and see what sort of response I get.

The front plate seems really flimsy at the edges, it's attached by a couple of screws going through the middle of it. Not a great design imo. Guessing this is due to it being a newer version compared to the older Italian stuff.

Something I should know? Should I stop being polite ?

I went to msl and got a response in about half an hour, hopefully I'll get a better solution from them direct.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1496690238' post='3313259']
Oh no.....not GAK after service 😩
[/quote]

Edited by MarshallBTB

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1496665734' post='3313044']
I bought it from GAK. Never had any problems with them but then again I've never had to contact their customer service before. And in fairness, they're response is quick, just a bit disappointed with the solution they've offered. Box the head up and send it off to have the pot sorted, and possibly (the front plate breaking isn't covered by the warrenty) have the front plate replaced while it's there.
Going to contact them directly and see what sort of response I get.

The front plate seems really flimsy at the edges, it's attached by a couple of screws going through the middle of it. Not a great design imo. Guessing this is due to it being a newer version compared to the older Italian stuff.
[/quote]

Newer Indonesian made gear has a lower returns and warranty claim rate than the Italian ones.

I can't remember exactly figures but overall reliability has improved since manufacture was moved out of Italy.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1496663509' post='3313022'] Looking at the Consumer Rights Act (linked above) it looks like you would have to prove the item was faulty at the time of delivery [/quote]

Yes, but only because its more than 6 months since purchase, a fault within 6 months is automatically deemed to be the sellers liability.

[quote name='MarshallBTB' timestamp='1496691740' post='3313276']
Something I should know? Should I stop being polite ?

I went to msl and got a response in about half an hour, hopefully I'll get a better solution from them direct.
[/quote]

I have given them chances time and time again. I would probably do it again. But, I have to say the service I have received from them over my gear buying years has been pretty poor.

I would be firm but stay polite...I really don't think the wear and tear you are experiencing is acceptable.

That's interesting. I've mentioned that I've been in contact with msl (the guy at gak made out like he's waiting on a response from them - they replied to me in half an hour !) and the response has been 'probably better off cutting out the middle man and going direct' ! This is totally wrong if my contract is technically with the retailer ?
Disappointed with GAK, always enjoy browsing the brighton store but the after care just seems lazy.

What is the front panel on your 250 made of if you don't mind me asking ?
[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1496742484' post='3313517']
My Little Mark 250 had very crackly pots from the off, acceptable now, but still not completely fixed on the master volume by switch cleaner. The front panel has been fine though.

I actually had a weird experience with GAK- a GK MB112 combo cut out during a gig, fortunately towards the end of the night, and I was able to get through with the DI to the PA. Although it worked again later at home I wasn't going to trust it for any more jobs, so wanted to return it and buy the more expensive Markbass NY121 cab from them (and I also later picked up the aforementioned LM250 elsewhere as a spare head). For some reason, despite the offer of a bigger sale (although who knows what profit they make on different items) they went into a kind of default defense mode, refusing to accept a return and blaming me for causing a fault through misuse (I was a pro with about 20 years experience at the time, maybe 5 years back!).

They weren't budging, and I didn't 'know my rights' quite so well then. I fell ill and a bandmate offered to speak to them as he was a long standing customer. I suspect he turned up and was an aggressive dick, but they eventually accepted the item back and took the rest of my money for the better product, possibly just to get him off their backs.

It always struck me as odd that they were so reticent to take back a pretty recently bought item, especially as I was clearly keen to replace it with a more expensive one for the purposes of making my living.
[/quote]