Why become a member? ×

Orange OB1 vs 4 Stroke

OldB

I've not played the OB1 but did have a 4-stroke for an extended test. I was disappointed with the 4-stroke because, although the EQ is fantastic, if you want to get a decent volume from the amp you can only get it by using the big knob controlling gain/compression to get enough preamp gain, which adds a LOT of colour (and obviously comrpession) to your tone. It will not do simply clean at anywhere near its full volume. For me that was a deal-breaker.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1496437341' post='3311517']
I've not played the OB1 but did have a 4-stroke for an extended test. I was disappointed with the 4-stroke because, although the EQ is fantastic, if you want to get a decent volume from the amp you can only get it by using the big knob controlling gain/compression to get enough preamp gain, which adds a LOT of colour (and obviously comrpession) to your tone. It will not do simply clean at anywhere near its full volume. For me that was a deal-breaker.
[/quote]

That's odd as it's not my experience at all. I have a 4-stroke 500 and it's massively loud (before any compression added). Full on gig volume (outdoor stage punk festival ) and I'm at less than 9 o'clock on the volume dial. The compressor bumps it up - adds girth and bit of bite but it's not really distortion unless you crank it right up (about halfway is nice imo). But its not needed for volume and there's loads of clean headroom.

Haven't tried OB1, but it runs cleaner and less dark than the Terror.

BLuRay, I read your post about the 4 Stroke and think it throw a lot of light to my searching, thanks for sharing!!- I had the chance to try the OB1-500 with the OBC210 mini and was amazed by it's tone and overall carachter , I digged blending the two channel with the drive full closed and even there the amps gains in presence, body and fulness, and I really didn't care dialing more drive cause things started to be to fizzy for my ears. It was my first contact with non class D amplification and I am a bit concenrned on the OB1 to be a 1-trick pony and get lost in the mix in some situations. In the opossite a fear the 4 Stroke not having the OB1's authoritive weight it's sound provides. The store doesn´t supplies the 4 stroke but I will test it in other store but paired with a 410 Hartke, so I will not be able to make a direct comparisson of both.

I'm a bit surprised not to find direct comparisons between these two models since they are in parallel production. So I will have to fine tunning my ears and auditive memory to decide wich amp will replace my average class D amp.

[quote name='BluRay' timestamp='1496475627' post='3311691']
That's odd as it's not my experience at all. I have a 4-stroke 500 and it's massively loud (before any compression added). Full on gig volume (outdoor stage punk festival ) and I'm at less than 9 o'clock on the volume dial. The compressor bumps it up - adds girth and bit of bite but it's not really distortion unless you crank it right up (about halfway is nice imo). But its not needed for volume and there's loads of clean headroom.
[/quote]

It was the 300 I had for a while. Its possible I had a bad unit. I will admit that the compressor/gain knob on the amp I had did behave rather differently to the online videos I have seen of the amp (although that is not unusual IME with most amps sounding different once you get them in your own hands compared to a review video). It was not drive as such that the comp added, but tonal changes and big changes in the attack of the notes, which I did not like. And without the comp there simply was not not enough volume. Its a pity they are so rare and that I could not get a change to play a different one.

With the comp used it certainly gave a loud 300W- easily as loud as any 500W D-class amp I have tried (which is quite a lot)

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='OldB' timestamp='1496486803' post='3311817']
BLuRay, I read your post about the 4 Stroke and think it throw a lot of light to my searching, thanks for sharing!!- I had the chance to try the OB1-500 with the OBC210 mini and was amazed by it's tone and overall carachter , I digged blending the two channel with the drive full closed and even there the amps gains in presence, body and fulness, and I really didn't care dialing more drive cause things started to be to fizzy for my ears. It was my first contact with non class D amplification and I am a bit concenrned on the OB1 to be a 1-trick pony and get lost in the mix in some situations. In the opossite a fear the 4 Stroke not having the OB1's authoritive weight it's sound provides. The store doesn´t supplies the 4 stroke but I will test it in other store but paired with a 410 Hartke, so I will not be able to make a direct comparisson of both.

I'm a bit surprised not to find direct comparisons between these two models since they are in parallel production. So I will have to fine tunning my ears and auditive memory to decide wich amp will replace my average class D amp.
[/quote]

Yeah I think the 4-Strokes are quite hard to find in the shops - I bought mine blind, but with a good returns policy. It has loads of clout - mega punchy - but whether its your thing or not, only you can say! I'll pm you some studio soundclips (they're pending release, otherwise I'd post them here).

Not tried the 4 stroke, but a friend has the OB1 500, decent little amp, has a nice bit of built in fuzz and the footpedal switch between the two is pretty neat. However it can't begin to compare to my AD200b in terms of volume, tone and warmth

I've just got the OB1 500 after my MB LM3 went wrong (Still not at the bottom of it).

The amp blew me away I literally bought after a jam in Pmt Nottingham and bombed home, stuck it in my flight case and went to the gig. Granted I was playing loads of early ACDC but it sat great in the mix. It really does clean up for transparency - you just put the blend knob to zero. I've even tried my double bass through it and it sounded great - doesn't look like the obvious mix but sound is all I care about.

Cabs were my MarkBass 102 travellers.

I have the 4 Stroke 500 & I think it's awesome !! The parametric eq is so useable

I hardly use the compression knob because I have an OMNIFX Smoothie pedal which is also awesome.
The amp is that loud that I have the -6dB pad all the time. The output has proper clout & all my bandmates seem to love it also

However I haven't used the OB1.

Edited by jassthebass

I had the chance to try the four Stroke a few days ago and I think it's an awesome amp too. I found that volume was very dependant of the compression knob (I was running it through a OBC212 cab which is rated at 8ohm) and when the compression came into play, the character of the amplifier changed taking a slightly more modern approach to OB1 (if my memory did not fail me)and I didn't digged very much the stepped knobs but this is a minor thing.
Anyway the behavior of the amplifier makes it be on par with the OB1 and I must say that the equalization of the 4 stroke is impressive always getting usable sounds throughout its range. I think there is no clear winner, it is a matter of taste. Personally, I liked the OB1 more although I will rarely use the gain channel.

• 2 years later...

If anyone cares any more, I own and use both OB1 and 4-Stroke in 500w versions. This is my opinion on comparison:-

The OB1 is their solid state amp that really tries to sound like their full-fat valve amps, with the typical limited Orange EQ range and the drive.  It's great if you want a rack mounted item that you will not feel the need to change the valves in every couple of years, however it's no substitute really for an OR-120 or even an AD200 (have both also) if you absolutely want the traditional creamy Orange sound.  It's close but not perfect.

The 4-Stroke lacks the drive of the OB1 but is able to open up a bit more in the EQ range and is more flexible on adjustment, similar to many other rack amps from the likes of Ashdown, Hartke, Ampeg etc. If you play all sorts of crazy venues and really get worried about your tone and insist on the additional EQ headroom then this might be a better bet.  It does a good job at this and there are a lot of competitors out there but if you want a more traditional tone I'd recommend the OB1.

• Like 2