Why become a member? ×

Flea jazz basses

Hamstar8

[quote name='Johnny Wishbone' timestamp='1496601391' post='3312612']

I believe the fact that MM repeatedly refused him a sig model is the reason he stopped using them and went to Modulus.

Can't remember where I read that though.
[/quote]

I think he was just after a Musicman style bass without a load of deadspots on the neck.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1496624695' post='3312802']
I think he was just after a Musicman style bass without a load of deadspots on the neck.
[/quote]
Anybody else with me that thinking the dead spot problem is wildly over exaggerated? Yes, there are basses with dead spots... but there are not in abundance like basschat folklore would suggest?

[quote name='nightsun' timestamp='1496662269' post='3313009']
...so that means it will never be sold. Lucky really that I love it and it's now my number one go to.
[/quote]
I'm guessing that you mean the bass rather than the wife :lol:

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1496654815' post='3312927']
I'm super happy with mine. In fact it's one of the coolest Fenders I've played in years. They've also gone up by around £200 since they came out.
[/quote]

They have - but that has nothing to do with the guitars themselves, just the price of all fenders going up.
Sadly keyboards have gone up more, I notice as I have just missed a big rise on something I wanted - trust me to wait!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1496661866' post='3313001']

Anybody else with me that thinking the dead spot problem is wildly over exaggerated? Yes, there are basses with dead spots... but there are not in abundance like basschat folklore would suggest?
[/quote]

It's not like every other Musicman bass is littered with dead spots. Some suffer only mildy, which many owners might never notice. Some are quite obvious. Some basses don't have any obvious dead spots. It's the luck of the draw, and why I'd always be hesitant to buy a Musicman bass I hadn't played and tested. And I like Musicman basses!

More prevalent on the Stingray is the issue of a weak sounding G string. That really does jump out at you in a way that dead spots don't and I've found it to more common than dead spots.

I should note that of both of these issues, I've found them to be more of an issue in the Stingray 4 string than the 5 string, or the Sterling, or the Bongo.

[/quote]
I've never owned one

[/quote]

Yes. When you've found one you want to tell everyone about it because it is such an intangible phenomenon otherwise. It may well be exaggerated as a result.

I never used a Ray but the first (and only) Squier I owned had one. The guitar was a fretless Jazz. The trouble with dead spots is that once you've found one, it is always in the back of your mind and it deflates your confidence in the instrument. Mine might have had more than one dead spot but I handed it back after a week. I traded it in for my Vantage.

I thought at first that the finger board had a depression where the note died off but it was confirmed that the finger board was fine. I put it down to resonance caused by the massive headstock cancelling out certain frequencies in the same way that noise cancelling headphones use reverse phasing.

At the shop I had a hard time convincing them I had a problem at all but they were very happy to make me an offer on the trade in. I am pretty sure it went back up for sale as "new".

Does the Flea sigbass address the issue at all?

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1496778483' post='3313831']

I've never owned one
[/quote]

I've never owned a bass without one. The severity varies though - sometimes they're barely noticeable and not enough to be a problem. But they've all had one or two notes on the G string that sustain slightly differently due to neck resonance. Do some people only call it a dead spot when it's particularly severe?

Edited by Beer of the Bass