Why become a member? ×

Flea jazz basses

Hamstar8

The original thread on these ran to a few hundred posts and people falling over each other to get one - it was immediately pre Brexit so they were comparatively good value, but available at that price for a very short time.

The stack knob Jazz was changed by Fender originally for a good reason - presumably some people with the Flea Jazz have stumbled across it also (I seem to remember discussion about this when these basses came out) - as well as the flip flippity flip nature of some people on the forum.

I think it is perfectly reasonable, as was said, the thread of people buying one was one of the busiest on here. I even thought of getting one, then realised that it was a 4 string jazz, which was what I didn't need, so didn't, plus they went up after brexit, and they got just a bit too expensive for a mexican jazz. Either way. a lot of people bought one.
Obviously a lot of those people are going to love them and hang on to them, but there are going to be a lot of people who got caught up and will now be not using them as much and will be looking for something different. I would actually expect them to be more common than they are, certainly at the level of geddy lee jazzes and I am sure they will be in the fullness of time.

I still don't think they are that common on here considering how many were sold.

I'm probably amongst the majority of members that patiently waited for the hype to settle whilst also keeping a look out for the first few secondhand ones to show up in the marketplace. I immediately loved the look of these basses from the moment they appeared, despite not being a Flea fan by any means, if anything that was the main attraction as well as some great examples of how it sounds without being played by a Flea clone.

Regardless, I'm glad I waited as I got mine for a great price and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I've taken to it. Amazing playability and despite the hum I actually like the stacked controls, I find them slightly more easier to shape my tone with. It made me realise how much I miss having a rosewood fingerboard on a Jazz.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1496412149' post='3311246']
Yes, I think a few hasty purchases were made. My one isn't going anywhere.

[center][/center]
[/quote]

I'm not surprised - I tend to keep most of what I buy as well - I nearly went for one of those but the initial batch sold out before I got to it! Nice sticker btw.

Edited by drTStingray

I had noticed quite a number of them for sale. I doubt there is anything wrong with them, more that mild buyer's remorse can strike in these hasty purchases.

I have seen one up close and it looked good. However, that naff bridge piece irritates me. The Classic Vibe Squier Jazz with the brass bridge saddles had a better bloody bridge.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1496445174' post='3311577']
It's not a sticker, it's a completely new pickguard made by Tim at Original Scratchplates featuring the logo of a Ska band I dep for.
[/quote]

One might posit that it is a trade mark for one well known brand that has been humorously altered to become the trade mark for a new brand. I hope Unilever have no issue if Skamite goes global.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1496411381' post='3311236']
The original thread on these ran to a few hundred posts and people falling over each other to get one - it was immediately pre Brexit so they were comparatively good value, but available at that price for a very short time.

The stack knob Jazz was changed by Fender originally for a good reason - presumably some people with the Flea Jazz have stumbled across it also (I seem to remember discussion about this when these basses came out) - as well as the flip flippity flip nature of some people on the forum.
[/quote]

Yes seems feasible, I am now interested in trying one myself

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1496480730' post='3311744']
Quite right of course, but they're just a lil' ol' Ska band from Essex with no real desire for world domination. Plus, I'm only the dep. I thought it would be a nice touch for when I gig for them.
[/quote]

I wasn't criticising. I think it's a smashing bit of artwork too. Good for the band's identity.

Litigation on the part of Unilever however would give them such publicity that there would be little choice in the matter... they'd become an instant global phenomenon. Quite a clever strategy that. I may use it myself one day.

Anyway - what happened to the old expression "The Only Way Is Essex"?

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1496445174' post='3311577']

It's not a sticker, it's a completely new pickguard made by Tim at Original Scratchplates featuring the logo of a Ska band I dep for.
[/quote]

I'm all in favour of personalised/customised scratchplates. It looks great.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1496481555' post='3311750']
I'm all in favour of personalised/customised scratchplates. It looks great.
[/quote]
It certainly does. I've got a possible dep (and maybe even full time place) coming up in a ska band, for which the bitsa P will be the obvious weapon of choice -- a chequerboard scratchplate will deffo be on the shopping list if it happens 😎

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1496586888' post='3312477']
Every ' flea ' bass replica i've ever seen has never piqued any interest with moi
[/quote]

Well, as they are all the same, if one doesn't it is very unlikely that any of the others will either!

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1496600282' post='3312600']
Blimey guv, you would have thought EB would have hurled an MM at the public
[/quote]
I believe the fact that MM repeatedly refused him a sig model is the reason he stopped using them and went to Modulus.

Can't remember where I read that though.

He wanted a Modulus neck on it afaik, purely because they were gigging in various climates night after night where no wooden necked bass could stay stable, it's a shame they couldn't come together to supply that to him and as a signature model, contrary to popular internet nonsense about him only using a Ray around the BSSM era and that only for live gigs he used them from day one, Pre EB Ray, Transition era Rays and later EBMM ones, the cartoon image on the first 1984 RHCP album cover shows a 3+1 Stingray headstock, live he used a carbon necked bass so he has history with a carbon necked Ray from before Ernie Ball even bought them out! :D

I think a lot of people bought one just to have a go and see what they were like.

Initial scarcity and desirability meant that potential loss was never going to be much and some even moved at a profit.

Every now & then something like this pops up that you can be pretty sure if not taking a loss on so it's just a short term cash flow thing.

Plus you can't really damage one if you take it out on a gig, lol.