Why become a member? ×

How often do you use your pinky? (...on the fretting hand)

danonearth

[quote name='danonearth' timestamp='1496371426' post='3310883']

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Just wondering how much I should be relying on the pinky for fretting on the bass? I use it extensively on a guitar, but on bass it tends to get a bit sore, as I think I might be over-using it a bit?[/font][/color]

[/quote]

More than that, it looks like you have not practice enough using it. When I started playing the bass it took me about a year to get used to use the pinky, and sometimes it still hurts if I don't play for a while, but I reckon using all your hand is fundamental to play most music on bass.

• 2 weeks later...

I taught myself to play the guitar, which, as Mitch Hedberg said, was a bad decision.

So when I switched to playing bass, I took the time to get my technique in order. It really is a boon.

There's lots of tutorials re the 1 fret per finger concept, so I'd suggest having a look. Only stretch with your pinky and index finger. All the notes are right there. Makes playing four hour sessions a lot less taxing!

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1496389421' post='3310933']
I use the pinky a lot, but I tend to use double bass style fingering lower down the neck, where the hand spans three frets and the pinky is supported by the ring finger behind it.
[/quote]
I do this a lot.

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]-----------2-4-5-
-----2-3-5-------
-3-5-------------

---------------4-5-
--------3-5-7-----
-3-5-7------------[/size][/font][/color]

[/quote]

Slightly-off-topic: its great to be able to play the same thing in different places on the neck, your major scale example has a third variation:

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]-------------1-2[/size][/font][/color][b][color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]-[/size][/font][/color][/b]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]---------2-4-----
---2-4-5--------
-5--------------[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]-[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Note that unlike your first example, you need to shift* to play this. (Your second example also includes 2 shifts).[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]* A shift is a departure from one-finger-per-fret. Obviously, high up the neck you can stretch further than one-finger-per-fret, but at the "normal" end its "normal" to play one per fret. I learned ages ago and use it right down to the 1st fret, but more modern/better technique, and similar to double bass, is to use 1-2-4 fingering for 1-2-3 frets at the lower end of the fretboard/fingerboard.[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]In fact depending on the actual music (not just playing scales....) you could use the fingering 4-1-2-4-1-4-1-2 so the shift is done by realigning the fingering with different frets, to allow the next note to be more easily played. Its good to be aware of when you shift (or not) because in quiet bits on roundwound strings it can produce a scratchy noise as you shift. Obviously music with stacatto, or rests in between notes, etc you can lift the fingers off to shift so it becomes less/not an issue.[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4][color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]But anyway, returning to the question, if you analyse what finger plays what note on what string to the nth degree, you'll see that using the pinky is fundamental with a lot of the variations, thus (for me) its a thing I'd do all the time and I'd not particularly avoid it - I'd probably avoid shifts more; or stretching too far; or playing too low down the fretboard for comfort. [/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]

• 3 months later...

I agree with most comments I use my pinky more than my ring finger especially when string skipping. Almost always use it for playing octaves. When playing guitar I definetly use the finger per fret technique, but definetly not on bass. Keep practicing and the calluses will come!

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Good day all,

I am wondering how often people use the pinky finger (on the fret hand)? I am experimenting with different scale patterns and it is starting to hurt using the traditional 'box' scale position...

-----------2-4-5-
-----2-3-5-------
-3-5-------------

...so I am favouring a more spread out position (which doesn't seem to hurt my pinky as much, but I have also even just begun playing it with index-middle-ring fingers and no pinky at all)

---------------4-5-
--------3-5-7-----
-3-5-7------------

Just wondering how much I should be relying on the pinky for fretting on the bass? I use it extensively on a guitar, but on bass it tends to get a bit sore, as I think I might be over-using it a bit?

Note: I have been playing for a while, so it is not a 'beginner's muscle development issue...

Thanks![/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Using your examples, I will list how I would use my fingers for those scales . 1=index 2=middle 3=ring finger 4= pinky

[font=verdana][color=#191919]-----------2-4-5-
-----2-3-5-------
-3-5-------------[/color][/font]

[i] 1,3 1,2,4 1,3,4[/i]

[font=verdana][color=#191919]---------------4-5-
--------3-5-7-----
-3-5-7------------[/color][/font]

[i]1,3,4 1,3,4 1,2 [/i]

Right handed self taught player, It takes some time to develop the strength and flexibility in your pinky but its essential to play certain lines cleanly with economic movement across strings.

Edited by Kellboy

Slightly off-topic.

It's best really in the long run at least, to avoid playing scales in a 'box' pattern like this. Learn to play the notes instead, rather than a fingering pattern. Imagine if there was an LED at every fret on your bass. You have a button to press and it lights up every note in a given scale, that kind of thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Due to injury I constantly switch between using 3 or 4 fingers. With a broken pinky (further compounded by dupytrens) i have no real strength or flexibility in the 4th finger so I look on enviously at you lot walking up and down the fretboard like spiders! I keep trying with 4 fingers but can only get consistency (clean notes) with the first 3.
I look at some players (latest was Sean Hurly on youtube) who seems to play effortlessly without even separating their fingers. Sure, they tend to be people laying down a simple solid groove rather than virtuoso noodling but hey I could live with that.
Whilst 4 is best i guess there are a few of us who get by with 3. Frustrated sometimes maybe but gotta play the bass.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2017 at 15:06, Osiris said:

I use mine all the time too, probably more than my ring finger. I haven't got the longest of fingers, so I find it easier to cover smaller stretches using index and pinky e.g. 2 frets at the lower end of the neck, say F to G, than by using a finger-per-fret approach. I also usually play octaves like this too, index on the lower note and the pinky on the octave.

I saw Bruce Foxton play last year (one of my heroes) and he didn't appear to use his pinky all night :o

I'm with Osiris here. Ive got small hands/fingers and use my pinky a lot. especially for playing 5ths and octaves 3 frets away.

• 1 month later...

I used to use it a lot more than now, but then most of what I play now are one note bass-lines so there`s less of a need. Through doing this the span from thumb to pinky finger on my left hand is at least an inch more than on my right hand. Yoga in small amounts maybe?

• 3 weeks later...