Why become a member? ×

BOSSA OB5 (MiJ) Custom. Currently Withdrawn
£789

eubassix

BOSSA OB5 (MiJ) Custom Bass. 5-string. Original 90's instrument which has been modified by a professional luthier. The finish (see photos, incl. Original spec) is now natural: organic vintage/oil. Original pickups and electronics (active w. switch-s) were removed and replaced with custom ‘THUNDERBUCKER 66s’ ( 5 string version* ) costing c. £345 (parts only)*:-
http://thunderbuckerranch.com
The output was moved from the side to the front as illustrated in the photos. The Bass is now passive with V + V + T: output of the p/ups is high but very warm sounding; precise and deep. Maple neck (3-pc) and F/board; swamp ash body featuring a thick, figured top. Weight is an easy 8.5lbs and balances beautifully. Easy (flattened-C) neck profile. 34” scale, 44mm nut and 9/18mm strings spacing(s). I do not have the original components (plus p/up position/routs have been changed). I can provide photos of the work, if required. Comes with a generic case & includes Courier....

* Just checked this and it's currently more like £470 based on current exchange for the 2x pickups, 2x covers, 2x surrounds, 2x spacers + postage; if hit with VAT it would raise to £564 plus possibly some 'duty' .. but no idea what that might be. If the bass remains unsold for 2017 I'll probably just remove/replace the 'Thunderbuckers' and sell them separately.

** Withdrawing whilst I remove the TB's (for sale in the future) and replace with SD's / SD circuit + new hardware (ordered; currently pending)

MVC-092S.JPG

MVC-093S.JPG

MVC-097S.JPG

MVC-098S.JPG

Edited by eubassix
pending withdrawal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Hanry' timestamp='1502896388' post='3354250']
Hullo,
Do you have some recordings of the different sounds? It's hard to imagine what the modifications have resulted in (but they do sound promising!)
Thanks!
Hanry
[/quote]
Sorry, no.

• eubassix changed the title to BOSSA OB5 (MiJ) Custom. vgc. Unique. £565 (incl.!)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • eubassix changed the title to BOSSA OB5 (MiJ) Custom. vgc. Unique. £595 (incl.!)
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AlexiaSpring said:

What a difference in colour between the pictures, first is more “natural” and second is more of a “yellowed tint”.

Is that just the difference between picture quality or is it actually more of a yellow in daylight?

Not sure what you mean by 1st/2nd photos, but the bass was originally yellow tint (with different p/ups, EQ etc - original Bossa.). The re-luthier'd instrument has a new figured ash top along with the TB66's and VVT. The current finish/colour is most accurately reflected in the OP. Hope that clarifies.

I've just bought a bass from Billy Apple with the 4 string version of these Thunderbucker 66s' pick-ups in it, and the sound of them is absolutely amazing!

As I've said before, I'm surprised this bass is still here at this price but now I've actually heard how good these pick-ups actually are, I'm even more surprised!

Anyway, Happy New Year all, and GLWTS ☺

21 hours ago, Grangur said:

Bosa bass in action:

Hope this helps someone..

Thanks for the post/assistance. The bass in clip one looks more like a Mayones (Caledonius) bass (?) :-  http://mayones.com/basses/caledonius

Clip 2 (nice playing!) - could well be a Bossa (hard to see) - but most likely original in terms of p/ups-EQ.

There's continued interest in the bass, but if unsold by the time I might find some replacements (dimension/s issue) then I'll probably just choose to sell the TB66's. Thanks for the +comment(s) above (silverfoxnik) - they are great p/ups; but so expensive (@ c. £500) ... don't think there's a UK/EU dealer currently?

Edited by eubassix
typo