Why become a member? ×

Responding To Bass Player Wanted Ads

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496262895' post='3310089']
First if all there's no "the invisible bear" There are many invisible bears, there all over and I'm sure there's a few in London.

Secondly you'd have to define the position of the hump, there are several....
[/quote]

Can this be the end to the assertion that Americans have no sense of humour?

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1496292702' post='3310220']
First up, I'd want to know how many dates are in the calendar. I'm 50 so chart success is no longer on the menu.

Forgive a brief derailment - Blue, I loved your list of bear moves. I'm layed up after an appendectomy on Tuesday and the laughing hurt which proves I'm alive. However, you forgot one, it's that slow, sultry classic the "You're Not Here For the Hunting, Are You?"
[/quote]
Which is the punchline to my favourite joke of all time.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1496320593' post='3310472']
I found this on the notice board at my local studio. I know the owner of said establishment and he assures me it is genuine.

[center][/center]
[/quote]
in fairness that is from a drummer, sorry, drumber, so the fact he can even hold a pencil puts him in the advanced class

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1496288462' post='3310204']
I hate the ones saying "no timewasters", I LIKE time wasting, watching TV, reading BassChat etc
[/quote]

I've got a mate who used to go through the small ads until he found one saying, "No Time Wasters". It didn't matter what they were selling/looking for. He'd then phone them up and try and keep them talking for as long as possible...

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1496326651' post='3310554']
So I am looking to join a band (ideally a function band) what would be the best way if the ads are regarded as useless?
[/quote]

It's down to who you know or who has seen you play and remembered that you were OK.

The last band I joined via an audition was in 1985, since then it's been word of mouth.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1496313137' post='3310395']

Can this be the end to the assertion that Americans have no sense of humour?
[/quote]

I'm not sure and I can't speak for all Americans.The invisible bear seem to generate a lot of interest here.😁

Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496332674' post='3310636']

It's down to who you know or who has seen you play and remembered that you were OK.

The last band I joined via an audition was in 1985, since then it's been word of mouth.
[/quote]

I specifically persued my band, went to their gigs. I introduced myself and let them know I was interested and available.

Turned out an opportunity was in the near future.

Blue

I've only been in 4 bands since starting to play bass. One casual conversation led to the first band, and the others were all through on line ads. Unless you actually know people who are recruiting ads are a good way to understand the mantallity of the band. Anything that mentions looking to hit the big time, classic rock, or the Beatles is a definite no no for me.

I joined a band from a wanted add, it worked fine. The band split up after a few years for other reasons. The next band I joined by putting an add in joinmyband myself - and that is still going fine, or would be if I hadn't had to cancel this week as I am having my knee replaced!
Its fine if you are in one of those big there cities with lots of people, but if you are in an area where it is normal to be able to recognise the difference between a cow and sheep, opportunities are a bit more rare.

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496337276' post='3310695']
I specifically persued my band, went to their gigs. I introduced myself and let them know I was interested and available.

Turned out an opportunity was in the near future.

Blue
[/quote]

That's interesting. A bit like stalking. Although we have laws to prevent that, I can see that stalking could well be the way that many players got into their bands. It's a fine line between that and being a groupie however.

I've always been lucky enough to join or form bands with people i know and it's always been pretty organic. having joined a new covers band a few weeks ago with people from an established originals band who are shortly to be recruiting a new bass player (there are some dots that can probably be joined here) it all came from my last band with the guitarists and singer from some other established originals bands in a particular genre (we weren't playing that stuff) and that's led to my name being in the frame whenever vacancies or new bands in that genre come up. Blue's tactic of stalking the band he wanted to join isn't that bad an idea, and where the band is spoiled for choice it is all about them knowing your name and availability, and if they've been in bands with you in the past and know that you're not a dick and can play to their standard your name should come up next time they need a bass player.

I know Blue says that if his current band folds he's probably out of a job and that's it for him, but what he will have is his reputation for being a reliable bass player who's happy to play what the band require and go out every night of the week. Maybe it's different in Milwaukee but over here that would count for a lot if he's looking for something similar.

Clearly this means i have absolutely nothing to add about replying to bassist wanted ads, but having tried to find other musicians for bands through ads I do feel like i should be offering a defence. there are plenty of good bands placing genuine ads, but they may not be great at selling themselves, so I'd always suggest taking what they say on face value rather than trying to second guess what they actually mean (allowing for the fact that people always over-sell themselves), but follow it up by having a chat/swapping some e-mails to get some more details. Treat it like somebody who's sent you their CV - you're just seeing whether they have the right basics but you're not going to give them a job until they've had a proper interview.

Edited by Monkey Steve

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1496382818' post='3310901']
That's interesting. A bit like stalking. [/quote]

And it can also be called networking.

Bands have a very short memory so you have to keep your name at the top of the list.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496401156' post='3311067']

Bands have a very short memory so you have to keep your name at the top of the list.
[/quote]

That's a much friendlier way of putting it.

I was interested to hear Blue got his band by this method because a lot of this topic is about a sort of join-by-numbers method of finding your next band that is, frankly, idealistic. I'd say we are likely to be successful in finding a compatible band with a combination of networking and the sorts of checklists suggested by the more experienced players who have collated a representative sample over the years.

Personally I favour networking, in real life you understand, but I am in the early stages of it. In the last year I have made a couple of useful contacts and it is encouraging me to continue where previously JMB and the like didn't work for me all that well.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1496382818' post='3310901']

That's interesting. A bit like stalking. Although we have laws to prevent that, I can see that stalking could well be the way that many players got into their bands. It's a fine line between that and being a groupie however.
[/quote]

Absolutely nothing like stalking or being a groupie. More like doing home work, studying the band and learning about their live shows before joining.

Maybe it's why it was a good match. This is my 6th year with them.

Blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1496401156' post='3311067']

[/quote]

Agreed,

Networking is key.

Blue

Actually, I suspect groupies do their home work, study the band, and learn about the shows as well, but they have a different definition of a successful result!

Seriously, though, what you say must be the best way to get invited to join a band you feel you'd be a good fit in, and sound advice, even if most people refuse to accept that, and refer to rely on luck.

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1496426029' post='3311387']
Hey Blue,

I'm just curious, but when you introduced yourself, didn't the then current bass-player feel a little threatened? I guess it depends how you go about it, but it must be a bit tricky.

Paul
[/quote]

Hi Paul,

I had no contact with the bass player. Just so happened they were looking to replace him.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496424307' post='3311370']
Actually, I suspect groupies do their home work, study the band, and learn about the shows as well, but they have a different definition of a successful result!

Seriously, though, what you say must be the best way to get invited to join a band you feel you'd be a good fit in, and sound advice, even if most people refuse to accept that, and refer to rely on luck.
[/quote]

Dave,

I had been through the "bands going nowhere" cycle. All from bass player wanted ads. Thought I'd try a more strategic approach. It worked for me.

One of the few times in life where I was in the right place at the right time.

Blue

Edited by blue