Why become a member? ×

Moog regret?

Crawford13

go for a Sub37, worth the extra cash and will keep its value better. IMO 2 octave keyboard of the SubPhatty is too restrictive. Oscillators on the 37 are supposed to be more stable.

I had a Little Phatty for a few years and really enjoyed owning it, and exploring [i]sound[/i]. Ultimately sold it, as I could get close enough via Arturia's minimoog emulation going into a Moogerfooger analogue filter and needed the space / cash :-)

I've got a friend who's into purely analogue synths. He's went through loads, buying & then selling on if it's not what he was hoping.
3 synths that have remained in his arsenal since I've known him (about 4-5 years) are the AnalogKeys, Teenage Engineering OP1 (He sold his first one & then a month later went & bought another, as he found he missed it) & a Moog Phatty. I've played about with his synths quite a few times & just looove the Phatty.

I need to go & see him soon as he's sold some other synths & got a couple of new ones. One being a Prophet 12. :D

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1497993578' post='3321921']
I'm very much a Moog newbie, so if there is a viable/obvious Moog alternative, what would it be?
[/quote]
VST version, Native Instruments Monark. A/B'd it next to a Phatty & it's almost identical. The cut off position is slightly brighter on the Phatty, meaning you have to turn the cut off dial up a touch further on the Monark to get the same sound.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1498024891' post='3321981']
VST version, Native Instruments Monark. A/B'd it next to a Phatty & it's almost identical. The cut off position is slightly brighter on the Phatty, meaning you have to turn the cut off dial up a touch further on the Monark to get the same sound.
[/quote]
I've worked with some VSTs before I got my Phatty and it may sound similar (or identical) but still it feels different. I like the "offline" feel of a real synth. When I played a Minimoog reissue...My oh my.

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1498220823' post='3323222']
I've worked with some VSTs before I got my Phatty and it may sound similar (or identical) but still it feels different. I like the "offline" feel of a real synth. When I played a Minimoog reissue...My oh my.
[/quote]
I know exactly what you mean. Even though the NI S88 is a great remote keyboard & the ribbons for pitch & mod are fantastic, it's not a Moog.
I've played my mates Phatty a few times & it's just such an expressive instrument. One hand on the keys, the other on the dials.
I've hankered for a voyager for some time, but I couldn't justify buying one when there's so many other things I need. :lol:

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1498302372' post='3323711']
I'd get a Model D reissue waaaaaay before a Voyager.
[/quote]

Unless it was strictly for studio use, I'd take patch memories over any supposed superiority of sound. As someone who struggled using non-programmable synths in the early 80s, I have no time for even simple synths that don't have programmable memories for the sounds.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1498502744' post='3325086']

Unless it was strictly for studio use, I'd take patch memories over any supposed superiority of sound. As someone who struggled using non-programmable synths in the early 80s, I have no time for even simple synths that don't have programmable memories for the sounds.
[/quote]

+100

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1498502744' post='3325086']
[/quote]
I can see your point, which is one of the main reasons I went for the Sub Phatty and not for e.g. the Minitaur. The Minitaur has presets but you can't see which one you're using. But I've fiddled with both the Voyager and the Model D, and I find the knob layout of the Model D way easier to understand.

my college has Moog lil Phatty, Moog Voyager, Moog Theremin and the whole set of moogerfoogers and we have no regret in buying any of them they get used daily for hours sometimes and sound fantastic and just keep on going (the voyager is around 15 years old) they truly are some fantastic gear. were eyeing up a minitaur and a sub phatty for next year!

I bought a Novation K-Station recently and it's brilliant. Big phat pharty sounds and 70s-soundalike synthy goodness. And programmable memories. I still regret selling my old Roland SH-09 back in the day, but practically speaking the K is the superior instrument in every way.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1498691049' post='3326439']
Your college?! What college is that? Sounds incredible.
[/quote]

NCN in nottingham. we have a whole room dedicated to synths with everything from ARP odyssey, to moog and loads of Roland gear all going into a midas mixing desk for recording. it was a pretty fun install!

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1498816788' post='3327225']
I bought a Novation K-Station recently and it's brilliant. Big phat pharty sounds and 70s-soundalike synthy goodness. And programmable memories. I still regret selling my old Roland SH-09 back in the day, but practically speaking the K is the superior instrument in every way.
[/quote]

...not to mention the polyphony! I've had a K-Station for a few years and it is indeed a lovely thing. Still tempted by the new Novation Peak though....maybe one day I'll trade up, but I'm in no hurry :)

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1499799441' post='3333727']

...not to mention the polyphony! I've had a K-Station for a few years and it is indeed a lovely thing. Still tempted by the new Novation Peak though....maybe one day I'll trade up, but I'm in no hurry :)
[/quote]

Ooh the peak looks amazing. Too much dough for me to be spending though, and if I did have that kind of cash to spare I'd probably go for something like a Roland JD-XA since it at least has a keyboard attached!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1498582352' post='3325690']
I can see your point, which is one of the main reasons I went for the Sub Phatty and not for e.g. the Minitaur. The Minitaur has presets but you can't see which one you're using. But I've fiddled with both the Voyager and the Model D, and I find the knob layout of the Model D way easier to understand.
[/quote]
I've got a Minitaur; it is a little bit one-dimensional and is limited to the lower octaves, but what it does is great.