Why become a member? ×

Talk me out of a Sandberg please

Westenra

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1496406765' post='3311159']
That just gives you (and me) time to save up for the big day. The size of deposit seems to depend on the dealer.
[/quote]

I paid around 15% as the deposit.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1496447857' post='3311595']

That's OK. I can no more say you're wrong than you can of me. I'm just surprised you feel that way as my experience of MM is that they put their instruments together very well indeed. My latest one is absolutely faultless and I am super critical. Also, it's not just that one. I think I have about eight of them at the moment and have played many others. There are other worthy recipients I could think of much more deserving of a good finger wagging over QC issues that I would put ahead of MM.
[/quote]

Fair point and you are right some truly awful stuff out there, I think I was overly terse and a little tongue in cheek as someone had put a picture of an MM hence the comment, otherwise I would not had said it at all.
In my defence (!) to me it only seemed like the newer basses they had on display (I picked up every one they displayed at the bass show) that felt different and a little cheaper compared other basses they had produced throughout the years. Granted my experience of them is way less than yours, but I had a mate with me who would sit in between us with regards to experience in Rays and he felt the same thing.
I am not sure if it was the lacquer or something else, but even amongst the same range the necks felt different on each and whilst light the body felt cheaper and a little soul less, nothing like my previous experiences, and I had gone in potentially cash in hand for a Caprice or Cutlass.
In contrast the Sandberg booth basses (and I didn't like them all) overall felt of a better quality.

But yes, I agree with your comments, reckon I gave unfair demonisation and was a little too scathing, however for me the Sandberg's like or loathe the sound still have a little edge on production as there is currently still more of a handmade personal element to them I think

Cheers

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1496447857' post='3311595']

That's OK. I can no more say you're wrong than you can of me. I'm just surprised you feel that way as my experience of MM is that they put their instruments together very well indeed. My latest one is absolutely faultless and I am super critical. Also, it's not just that one. I think I have about eight of them at the moment and have played many others. There are other worthy recipients I could think of much more deserving of a good finger wagging over QC issues that I would put ahead of MM.
[/quote]

Fair point and you are right some truly awful stuff out there, I think I was overly terse and a little tongue in cheek as someone had put a picture of an MM hence the comment, otherwise I would not had said it at all.
In my defence (!) to me it only seemed like the newer basses they had on display (I picked up every one they displayed at the bass show) that felt different and a little cheaper compared other basses they had produced throughout the years. Granted my experience of them is way less than yours, but I had a mate with me who would sit in between us with regards to experience in Rays and he felt the same thing.
I am not sure if it was the lacquer or something else, but even amongst the same range the necks felt different on each and whilst light the body felt cheaper and a little soul less, nothing like my previous experiences, and I had gone in potentially cash in hand for a Caprice or Cutlass.
In contrast the Sandberg booth basses (and I didn't like them all) overall felt of a better quality.

But yes, I agree with your comments, reckon I gave unfair demonisation and was a little too scathing, however for me the Sandberg's like or loathe the sound still have a little edge on production as there is currently still more of a handmade personal element to them I think

Cheers

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1496355962' post='3310862']
Yep Musicman copying Sandberg except they put their guitars together real cheap and they feel awful, at least the new crop do
[/quote]

I also have a lot of Musicman basses including one I bought new late last year. The quality on them all is consistently top notch. Their plan, they say, was to produce some old school classic styled passive basses to compliment their new guitar models - their single coil exposed pole pick ups have been around for many years, so they're not really copying Sandberg - more they and Sandberg are making basses which are loosely (or not so dependent on which maker) based on Fender.

In the US, people have referred to the new MM passive basses as on a par with boutique stuff like Sadowski. I'm sure Sandberg are excellent as well but I too would be extremely surprised if MM took substandard instruments to a show.

The London BGS is not the place to spend time with bass equipment unless you're not bothered about the crowds of people and din of slapping going on - and din it really is - unless you stick around in the exhibition whilst a big draw is on stage - very pleasant then 👍

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1496481871' post='3311752']

I also have a lot of Musicman basses including one I bought new late last year. The quality on them all is consistently top notch. Their plan, they say, was to produce some old school classic styled passive basses to compliment their new guitar models - their single coil exposed pole pick ups have been around for many years, so they're not really copying Sandberg - more they and Sandberg are making basses which are loosely (or not so dependent on which maker) based on Fender.

In the US, people have referred to the new MM passive basses as on a par with boutique stuff like Sadowski. I'm sure Sandberg are excellent as well but I too would be extremely surprised if MM took substandard instruments to a show.

The London BGS is not the place to spend time with bass equipment unless you're not bothered about the crowds of people and din of slapping going on - and din it really is - unless you stick around in the exhibition whilst a big draw is on stage - very pleasant then 👍
[/quote]

Completely agree with what you say about both makes, and about the Din at the show, so I made no judgement calls on the sound. It was a pure feel of the instrument and a comparison to other MM's I have played.
All sound bites other wise I have heard were great.

The thing for me was the Albert Lee which was the last one produced according to them and was a few years older than the others was a better feel.
This is just comparing it to 90s and early 2000s basses I have played.
Picked up a 90s Slo neck Ray before and that was the absolute beans no question

Regarding MM overall quality, I too have always found it to be very good indeed, but by the same token, every brand can have the odd sub-standard example. I've never played a Sandberg, and I hope you all realise that my criticisms of the aesthetics, whilst heart-felt, are a tad tongue in cheek

.Ultimately there is no substitute for sitting down with a bass and finding out if you enjoy playing it. I know it is stating the obvious,but five minutes with a bass in your hand is usually more useful than five hours looking at pictures and reading about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I love mine. Sounds amazing, feels amazing, its got a swiss army knifeness about it & its really light. Ebony Fretboard is super smooth too. Get one. I love it through my GK, Ampeg, straight in to my DAV & through my NEVE pre

Edited by DDR

I love my passive California TT... it's got the thermo and vibration treatment and plays smoOoth! Sonds killer through a GK 700RB MKII...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Mdi89ncAM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Mdi89ncAM[/url]

Edited by SteveFromBerlin

[quote name='SteveFromBerlin' timestamp='1497477913' post='3318607']
I love my passive California TT... it's got the thermo and vibration treatment and plays smoOoth! Sonds killer through a GK 700RB MKII...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Mdi89ncAM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Mdi89ncAM[/url]
[/quote]

That sounded lovely, gonna hit the Gallery and GuitarGuitar this weekend to try them out, it's a shame most UK dealers are too far.

[quote name='SteveFromBerlin' timestamp='1497477913' post='3318607']

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Mdi89ncAM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=N7Mdi89ncAM[/url]
[/quote]

I'd really like to hear this back to back with a standard one to see what the difference is. I am fortunate to own a vintage Fender P bass and there is definitely a difference which I had always assumed was due to the vintage electronics more than the aging timbers. It's all weird magic though.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1496350954' post='3310816']
[media]http://youtu.be/P3iCeBAmmbo[/media]
[/quote]

I have a lot of time for Marlowe DK, but someone should tell him that two pairs of wet socks stuffed into a Coke can is [i][b]not [/b][/i]an effects pedal.

That's about the crappest tone I've heard in a month of Sundays.

[quote name='ricksterphil' timestamp='1497528525' post='3318875']
At the risk of repeating the many..."just get one..I love mine" posts

.....just get one....I love mine"
[/quote]

Ah a fellow TM4 owner, with the exact same shared viewpoint!

Yup.....just get one....I love mine"

PS this is [i]way[/i] less difficult / controversial than deciding on a Rickenbacker, let me tell you! :)

Edited by Al Krow

Hi,
I play two California basses (a VM5 as my favorite and a TM5, both old shape). Never regretted it. The VM5 beats my MM SR5 with its overall bigger sound (on stage and in the studio, too). Both are reliable workhorses. Basses for lifetime.

Greets from Germany :mellow:

Ok, ok my mainly used bass is the newer Spector Euro 5LX. But that's is another story...

Edited by el_spectore