Why become a member? ×

Talk me out of a Sandberg please

Westenra

[quote name='anzoid' timestamp='1496251347' post='3309972']
Another voice to the "just buy it" chorus. Had a Sandberg TM4 fretless until fairly recently... very very nice bass.
[/quote]

+1 to that (only difference is that mine is with frets)

I'm loving the sound of the Warwick 5 string I've recently bought, but I have no desire or need to get another 4 string. The TM4 is a keeper.

Westenra,

44-60 is a jazz bass ( if I am correct) so comparing it with a VM4 is not strictly cricket.
VM is a great bass that will give you a P sound and if you blend in the M humbucker will allow clarity live to hit through the mix, in itself the M pick up will not emulate a Stingray although it looks similar.
Delano pick ups are more modern and hi fi, sandberg pups more warm and retro when you look at basses.
The TT bass will be a straight shoot out with the 44-60 and I think it would win, the Marlowe DK whilst a Jazz bass has 79s pickup placement with the bridge being closer to the bridge hence a more gritty 'barky' sound.

Conceivably you could add the Sandberg VM4 to your Lakland and be a winner, however once it is in your stable you will see the difference between that and a Lakland and move across (more than likely)

I bought my California (would be a TM5, old shape) when I sold the bike in my profile pic - I couldn't spend the money on anything sensible after all :rolleyes:

It's a great bass, and still surprises me even now - everyone that tries it comments on the neck. It just does everything that I need. I like my Yamaha BBs too, very much, but the Sandberg is still 'top dog.'

Edited by redbandit599

I played one of the 4 string P/M models at Bass Direct a couple of years ago - didn't really like it. The neck was very comfortable, but I found the tone pretty uninspiring - just a bit bland and lifeless. Hope that helps ;) :D

Me too. I would love a 48 5 string. I have never tried one, but having tried a sandberg 5 string I know the neck would be far too big for me and it would be far too expensive. Doesn't stop me wanting one. Maybe I could get a 48 - 4 string one day as a compromise.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1496318926' post='3310447']
Me too. I would love a 48 5 string. I have never tried one, but having tried a sandberg 5 string I know the neck would be far too big for me and it would be far too expensive. Doesn't stop me wanting one. Maybe I could get a 48 - 4 string one day as a compromise.
[/quote]

[color=inherit][size=1]The issue for me with them is pickups... They don't all come with a Split Coil/Humbucker. So I'm having a hard time deciding :D[/size][/color]

So the 48's pups are housed in the metal casing.

The neck pick up is generally a split coil and the bridge an M, so essentially a VM4 in another body, however I had an online chat with Marc at Chicago Music Exchange and he was involved in designing these basses and he mentioned them having 2 massive buckers.

I think if you get a used one look carefully, but also if you go for a new one you may be able to choose your combination as well as finish, ageing, treatment etc

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1496320590' post='3310471']
So the 48's pups are housed in the metal casing.

The neck pick up is generally a split coil and the bridge an M, so essentially a VM4 in another body, however I had an online chat with Marc at Chicago Music Exchange and he was involved in designing these basses and he mentioned them having 2 massive buckers.

I think if you get a used one look carefully, but also if you go for a new one you may be able to choose your combination as well as finish, ageing, treatment etc
[/quote]

That's interesting cause I'm seeing some of them on the Bass Direct site saying they have TT pickups, I wonder how true that is...

I'll send them an email when I'm looking to buy!

DEFINITELY not TT pups

I even messaged Sandberg direct and they said Split pick up neck and M pick up bridge.

Some web reviews say the split is at the bridge, this is wrong.

So it's probably a VM either that or an MM

If anyone out there has one, please take off the covers and share?!

Mark at classic and cool guitars in Devon has one for sale now and has a few popped through his shop so he may well be able to confirm or deny