Why become a member? ×

Remembering John Glascock (once more)

dmz

In light of the recent re-release of the Songs from the Wood album - 40 years ! - I'd like to put some love out there for the work of John Glascock - melodic, adventurous and a sheer bloody joy to listen to. Some good footage of them live in the accompanying dvd. He plays a lovely natural Stingray with white pickup cover.........

Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses were the albums that drew me into Tulls music - a lot of that due to JG !

One could say I quite fancy him. He's my favourite bassist from my favourite band, my biggest influence as a bassist, and has recorded my favourite bassline (Journeyman) with my favourite bass tone (although certainly IA played a part in this as well)! Interestingly he is not, however, my first choice for profile pictures among Tull bassists.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1496202520' post='3309494']
Tull have had some great bassists

whoever it was on Living in The Past gets my vote
[/quote]

I think that would be Glenn Cornick from (failing) memory. Also a great and sensitive player.

Tony Iommi was never really in the band. He was drafted in at short notice and as far as I'm aware actually mimes all the way through Rock n Roll Circus. Never recorded or toured with Tull. Until relatively recently Tull had only 2 guitarists and the first one only appears on the first album. 90+% of their output is Martin Barre on guitar. They have had a good deal of drummers, bass players and keys players though.
Back to Glascock, probably my favourite Tull bassist. If you dig out material by his pre-Tull band, Carmen, he wasn't a bad singer either.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1496217328' post='3309559']
ta, they changed bassists a bit. And guitarists, even Tony Iommi was a member long enough to appear on the Stones Rock n Roll Circus dvd
[/quote]

I think Mr Anderson can be 'challenging' to work with...

Possibly my most hated bass sound BUT it works perfectly for Tull. They were firstly a great band, and a band with IMO three 'classic' line ups.
The interview on the repackaged Thick as a Brick featuring Anderson, Barre and Jeffery Hammond is well worth a listen.

Saw JT just as Glascock joined Tull. A monster band for sure. I was more of a Cornick fan, but but hey, the list of good musos that have played in JT
is pretty damn good.

I even had Glen Cornick buy a bass neck from me on Ebay, though he lived in California at the time. He sent one of Tull's drummers over to collect it.
That was Clive Bunker.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1496229310' post='3309685']
I think Mr Anderson can be 'challenging' to work with...
[/quote]

I think that could be the understatement of the week :D

Apparently, Tony Iommi sat down at the same table as Ian to have breakfast and the rest of the band looked on in horror, as Ian sat a one table and the band at another.

Glen Cornick was a great player as was Pegg and Glascock.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1496692132' post='3313283']
I think that could be the understatement of the week :D

Apparently, Tony Iommi sat down at the same table as Ian to have breakfast and the rest of the band looked on in horror, as Ian sat a one table and the band at another.

[/quote]

I think it's all a bit exaggerated, really. He's a typical introvert and he ran a tight ship but he's hardly Don Van Vliet. Let's not forget that for several years the band consisted of four chums from Blackpool grammar school + Martin Barre. And for what it's worth, I think I prefer to eat breakfast alone as well!

Peggy is indeed a fantastic player. For my money the best living bassist. Incidentally, he was actually with Tull for a longer period than Cornick, Hammond-Hammond and Glascock combined.

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1496696207' post='3313327']
I think it's all a bit exaggerated, really. He's a typical introvert and he ran a tight ship but he's hardly Don Van Vliet. Let's not forget that for several years the band consisted of four chums from Blackpool grammar school + Martin Barre. And for what it's worth, I think I prefer to eat breakfast alone as well!

Peggy is indeed a fantastic player. For my money the best living bassist. Incidentally, he was actually with Tull for a longer period than Cornick, Hammond-Hammond and Glascock combined.
[/quote]

I don`t know about it being exaggerated. I have a dvd with all the members of Tull talking about the history of the band and Pegg says that when he joined the band, Ian said to him "He doesn`t like me, nor him or him. And he was right!"

But Ian is responsible for some of my favourite music over the years.