Why become a member? ×

Just for the sake of it, some advice on snaped headstock please

Hi, a friend of mine came to me with an accoustic Stagg guitar wich had fallen and the headstock snapped, in diagonal, in the zone between the nut and the first pair of tunning pegs (E strings).

i have it now sitting in my workshop glued with Pattex wood glue (PVA?) and heavy clamped with about 7 or 8 clamps (you can never use too much clamps). No pics right now but i may take a couple of them when i get home just to show you a bit of the headstock hidding behing the clamps :)

My question for you kind folks is this. I'm pretty sure the glue will sufice to get this thing together again but is there any chance you might think that adding a couple of screws for reinforcement may be needed? I really want to avoid this route but it would be worse if the headstock snaps again whilst restringing.

This is a picture i've found on the internet (not the guitar in question) but a damage close enough to what i have at hand:

Opinions, please ;)

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1496160990' post='3309229']
Glue should suffice. If it is the correct adhesive.
[/quote]

I think it is, imo Pattex makes good products, the contact adhesive is excelent so i think their wodd glue shouldn't be bad. It's this one:

Edited by Ghost_Bass

If the glue is good enough, and you removed all the tiny torn fibres before gluing and clamping then the glue alone should be good enough as you have the same sort of surface area as most necks with a scarf jointed head have.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1496317563' post='3310432']
If the glue is good enough, and you removed all the tiny torn fibres before gluing and clamping then the glue alone should be good enough as you have the same sort of surface area as most necks with a scarf jointed head have.
[/quote]

Yep. Done all those things. Mu line of thought is that the whole guitar is held together with glue so it shouldn't snap with the force of the strings. today is the day for removing the clamps. I'll try to remember to take some pics to post here.

Its all done. Removed the clamps yesterday and it seems to be held just fine, i applied a little pressure and it didn's snaped back. I'll take it back tomorrow to get some strings on it.
I promissed some pics so, here is the clamping in action:

And here is the finished product where you can still see the line of the break. It went very well in the end as there's not much to be felt when rubbing the hand on the line. Again, you can never have too much clamps for a good result :D

The guitar will keep those missing pieces for now as the owner just wanted a quick and cheap fix, in the future he'll decide if he want's it to look a bit better.