Why become a member? ×

I have PJ Mustang - Which Fender Short Scale will compliment it?

Tim Chapple

I have the Mustang PJ, which I love. I've discovered short scales after many years on longer scale basses.

I would like to buy a second Fender short scale - my budget will allow a used MIJ Mustang re-issue, or a beat up Musicmaster Bass.

I'm hoping to find a bass that plays as well as the PJ, but is sonically different as I don't want two basses that do the same thing.

So - which one would you choose?

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1496155774' post='3309186']
Keep your eyes peeled for the Squier Musicmasters. They have the 50's style single coil P pickups and are pretty well made to boot.

I have one (my first bass) and it does the old school sound brilliantly!
[/quote]

This. Squier 'Vista Series' Musicmaster. Knocks spots off a Fender Musicmaster. Lighter, punchier, adjustable bridge, proper pickups. Different vibe to a Mustang.

There is a lot of love on here for the Squier VM Jaguar shortscale but I have never played one.

I have a CIJ Fender Mustang in CAR with the competition stripe on the side and it is a lovely bass.
I have it fitted with LaBella Flats and with one of KioGon's looms and it is a really nice bass and the build quality is spot on.

A shame that Fender don't offer more SC basses. I also have one of the short lived P-Bass Junior's and it is an amazing bass (shorter than 30").

As mentioned in other posts, the Squire Vista Series Musicmaster is one to keep an eye out for.

I like the punchiness of the single coil, Squier Vista certainly would be a better bet than the original spec Musicmaster.
A vain hope I suppose, but always looking to find an old modded musicmaster...... Must have been plenty of them with upgraded pickups and bridges?

I used to have a Fender Musicmaster bass,the nut broke on mine fairly quickly and needed replacing,the el cheapo pickguard snapped by the jack,it had basically one tone and the tone control made so little difference it was almost completely useless, the bass itself despite being short scale could have been used as a boat anchor, it was really, really heavy. Strangely despite all this i would love to have the bass back,maybe rewire it with 500k pots and find a decent vintage pickup to replace the stock pickup, that being said for the prices i have seen them go for recently you would be better getting a used mij mustang which is a far superior bass