Why become a member? ×

RHCP - Under The Bridge

Truckstop

IME, a lot of bassists are not going to be playing very often if they're intending to only play songs they like.

Life is too short to be sitting at home in self imposed exile waiting for the next likeable song to turn up.

If you can turn a song you don't particularly like into a well played song that an audience wants to hear then you're a good player and you've done a good job.

I think there is a difference between don't like and hate though, half of our set is stuff I would never listen and probably only 15-20% is stuff I would listen to by choice. Out of the stuff I wouldn't listen to there is only one song I dislike but can live with. There are a couple of songs I actively hate and would not play, equally we have dropped ideas for songs that others in the band hate. Any band will be a compromise, even if you are a tribute to one band there will be differences of opinion but some may be deal breakers.

I like some RHCP and also some Nick Cave. Is this allowed?

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Under the Bridge is one of those songs which was massively overplayed at the time, which is never a good thing, and it's far from my favourite RHCP song, however I think your [/font][/color]critique[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] of the song is frankly pants. I've just listened to it again, and I don't hear any over-complexity, neither does the bassline dominate, it's fairly restrained as far as Flea's bass lines go. If you don't like it, fair enough, but I don't understand your reasoning at all...[/font][/color]

Well I know it's a very highly regarded song and I'm not surprised that many people enjoy listening to it and sing along to it. I just really struggle to find anything likeable about it.

It's like the bass and drums had loads of time spent on them and sound great but the vocals and guitar sound rushed and boxy.

The bass line stumbles over several scales and just sounds messy, carries no melody. Clashes with guitar.

The only hook in the song is the intro guitar riff, the rest of it is forgettable and tuneless.

If everyone in the world turned around and said they hated the song, I'd understand. But the fact that so many people seem to enjoy it is completely lost on me!

Mind you, I bet plenty of people on here think that Metro Station - Shake It is a terrible song and it's one of my favourites!

Don't worry, I'll happily play it and I've learnt it. I've been in cover bands for years and understand that sometimes you need to play songs you don't like. Jam won't turn into band, we're both just looking to play every now and then without having to commit to a band or anything.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1496138120' post='3308987']
I do find RHCP a bit hit and miss but there is a whole stack of their stuff I love to bits. Not in my top five bands personally but an amazing back catalogue and surely something for almost anyone in there.
[/quote]

+1

BSSM is a wicked album, not sure about their later stuff though.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1496474250' post='3311676']
Well I know it's a very highly regarded song and I'm not surprised that many people enjoy listening to it and sing along to it. I just really struggle to find anything likeable about it.

[b]It's like the bass and drums had loads of time spent on them and sound great but the vocals and guitar sound rushed and boxy.

The bass line stumbles over several scales and just sounds messy, carries no melody. Clashes with guitar.

The only hook in the song is the intro guitar riff, the rest of it is forgettable and tuneless.[/b]

If everyone in the world turned around and said they hated the song, I'd understand. But the fact that so many people seem to enjoy it is completely lost on me!

Mind you, I bet plenty of people on here think that Metro Station - Shake It is a terrible song and it's one of my favourites!

Don't worry, I'll happily play it and I've learnt it. I've been in cover bands for years and understand that sometimes you need to play songs you don't like. Jam won't turn into band, we're both just looking to play every now and then without having to commit to a band or anything.
[/quote]

are we talking about the same song? :lol:

the guys and gals playing songs THEY wanna play are getting gigs, playing their Rush and Led Zep covers....to three blokes on their own.

While the rest are playing poxy Kate Perry and RHCP and Bruno Mars tn bars crowded with dancing girls.....

your choice :)

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1496549592' post='3312214']
the guys and gals playing songs THEY wanna play are getting gigs, playing their Rush and Led Zep covers....to three blokes on their own.

While the rest are playing poxy Kate Perry and RHCP and Bruno Mars tn bars crowded with dancing girls.....

your choice :)
[/quote]

Good point. Further to that; I'd like to name my next pear based alcoholic cocktail the Poxy Perry.

Edited by SpondonBassed