Why become a member? ×

Bergantino B|Amp

ChunkyMunky

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1506015831' post='3375945']
I've been using mine with a Barefaced BB2 which is a [i]good[/i] configuration, but there is something sweet about being able to enable the onboard profiles fro Bergantino's own cabinets, thus I have a pair of HD112 cabinets that as a stack sound fantastic. Bergantino are the only brand I know of that are using the same sort of technology that top brand PA system manufacturers have been employing to match amplifiers and speakers - and it works. The thing is, [i]any [/i]cabinet will work. You don't have to be bound by 'the brand'. The profiles can be completely bypassed. It's a great sounding amp, even straight in to the PA as a DI box ha ha!!!

I've used the HDn212 and of course the review I did demonstrated the HDN112.
[/quote]

Just out of interest have you tried any of the Bergantino speaker profiles with your BB2?

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1506354215' post='3378159']
Just out of interest have you tried any of the Bergantino speaker profiles with your BB2?
[/quote]

Yes and you can certainly hear the differences between them - but then it just becomes a case of taste in terms of if you like the sound or not as the 'scientific' bit is negated. I suppose, you could use these to 'bake' a sound in to the amplifier, much like using modelling. You can't hurt the amplifier by using or not using the profiles.

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1506419467' post='3378540']
Good old post man!
[/quote]

Oooh!! Nurse!!!!!

:)

Congratulations! Let me know what you think! - I played mine at the weekend again. I really love how clear it sounds. Not 'toppy' like the treble has been pushed in some amps, but clarity right through the range.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1506443224' post='3378792']

Oooh!! Nurse!!!!!

:)

Congratulations! Let me know what you think! - I played mine at the weekend again. I really love how clear it sounds. Not 'toppy' like the treble has been pushed in some amps, but clarity right through the range.
[/quote]

Ok so here are my findings after owning the B/amp for a couple of weeks.
I think that the size and weight of the amp are about right, not too small to be fiddly to use but easily transportable and heavy enough to feel stable on the top of the cab.
The cab i'm using is a Barefaced Super twin which in the past i have paired with a MarkBass TTE500 and a Mesa D-800 (preferred the Mesa)
Whilst I've only played the B/amp at reasonable home volume up to now, what was instantly noticeable was the note definition and clarity from this pairing, even though the Super twin only has a usable frequency response up to 4kHz there seemed to be a sweet top end that hadn't come through before with the other amps, whilst retaining a great low end.
This amp has an extremely versatile eq section but my bass sounds balanced from string to string when everything is set to zero, in fact i haven't needed to use the pre-amp on my bass either, this may change in a band setting but i'm confident it won't need much tweaking.

I've not explored the drive effects section that much as i tend to use a clean sound but the compressor looks like it will prove to be a useful addition.

Another thing i'm looking forward to trying is the switchable effects loop (this is a state you can set in a saved sound), this means that once the blue tooth foot switch arrives i will be virtually wireless on stage.
I only use one or two effects from a zoom B3 throughout our set so i can leave this on top of my cab and in theory switch the effects on before the start of the song and switch the loop on and off during the song (this may prove to be a novelty but the thought of just having the BT foot switch at the front of the stage seems good to me)

The amp will get it's first outing in a band rehearsal next week so i will update my views once I've cranked it up a bit.

Edited by only4

Bluetooth foot switch arrived direct from Bergantino today.
It works perfectly and my plan to use the assignable effects loop on/off option does exactly what I hoped. Wire free rehearsal tomorrow!

Edited by only4

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1507661771' post='3387106']
Bluetooth foot switch arrived direct from Bergantino today.
It works perfectly and my plan to use the assignable effects loop on/off option does exactly what I hoped. Wire free rehearsal tomorrow!
[/quote]

I never knew I needed a wireless foot controller until I received mine for my B|Amp too!!! So handy! - I love that it's really flat too, so it slips in to the B|Amp bag too pretty much taking up zero space.

Amp and speaker in all its glory, but what goes in comes out.
When you play that bass in the review (a revamped P-bass Lyte???) you have a creamy nice tone. I believe you sound the same regardless of amp... ;)
Also a thought about the switching between "none" and the cabinet setting: "None" had that cardboard box-ish tone that sounds dull and boring on its own, but is very much needed in a live/band mix. My own experience is when your bass sound is nice by itself it gets lost. A bit like the great Anthony Jackson; his sound is not that flattering alone, but in the music context it just sits right there.
A good review from you as usual... :D :D :D

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1507668430' post='3387185']
Amp and speaker in all its glory, but what goes in comes out.
When you play that bass in the review (a revamped P-bass Lyte???) you have a creamy nice tone. I believe you sound the same regardless of amp... ;)
Also a thought about the switching between "none" and the cabinet setting: "None" had that cardboard box-ish tone that sounds dull and boring on its own, but is very much needed in a live/band mix. My own experience is when your bass sound is nice by itself it gets lost. A bit like the great Anthony Jackson; his sound is not that flattering alone, but in the music context it just sits right there.
A good review from you as usual... :D :D :D
[/quote]

That bass of mine needs a review of it’s own, it gets lots of compliments! It’s a Japanese Fender, a Power Jazz Bass Special, which is the ‘steroids’ version of the 80’s Jazz Bass Special basses. Both models sought after for very good reason. Yes it has been revamped by me.

I’ll counter your point about the profiles. Yes, it is down to the user what sound they go for and experience tells you what works in a mix. However, the profiles aren’t just a ‘nice’ button. It’s not a preshape or colour switch or mid scoop. The profiles help to ensure that what comes out of the speaker is closer to what went in to the front of the amplifier. You’ll have to excuse my enthusiasm, but experience of this amp, I can confirm, you don’t disappear in the mix for enabling the function. If anything, I spend way less time EQ’ing because I hear what the PA guy does - and often, that EQ is virtually flat :)