Why become a member? ×

Epiphone thunderbird

Geek99

The Epiphone Pro-VI might be a Gibson in almost everything but name, but then even the current Gibson model doesn't have that much in common with the original 1960s models - different pickups, hardware and IIRC the necks on the current model have more laminations than the originals...

BTW Fender enthusiasts looking for a Thunderbird should keep an eye out for the Epiphone non-reverse re-issue, which is essentially a Fender Jazz in almost everything (construction, woods, pickups etc.) except the shape.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1495909906' post='3307530']
Me either, to this day I haven't a clue to what these guys are talking about.

Blue
[/quote]

I'm guessing you have a leather strap with a rough underside, if not, this will fix neckdive for most people

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1496214966' post='3309533']
Neck dive?
[/quote]

The older Epi T'Birds had the neck strap button in the 'regular' location on the end of the horn, which caused massive neck dive. They have figured this out now and the newer ones have it on the plate that holds the neck on (where it was originally designed to be). I'm not sure when this change happened, but my '05 model has the strap button in the wrong place, but I know that last year's models were fine.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1496216913' post='3309549']

I'm guessing you have a leather strap with a rough underside, if not, this will fix neckdive for most people
[/quote]

No, but I do play with a pick.

Blue

What we need to do is get some basses, some string, a plumb line and black marker pen and start hanging them up and drawing lines on them.

Work out the centre of gravity of various basses and then compare that with the positions of the strap buttons.

You know, scientifical-like.

:)

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1496249163' post='3309944']
What we need to do is get some basses, some string, a plumb line and black marker pen and start hanging them up and drawing lines on them.

Work out the centre of gravity of various basses and then compare that with the positions of the strap buttons.

You know, scientifical-like.

:)
[/quote]

I suspect you can still get hanged for that kinda thinking round these parts.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496263637' post='3310098']
I suspect you can still get hanged for that kinda thinking round these parts.
[/quote]

But being a Fender kindof guy, I'd balance perfectly. :)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1496263856' post='3310103']
I don't want no one drawing on my new bass!
[/quote]

Oh, go on....I tell you what, I'll use crayon.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='The_Rodster' timestamp='1496302496' post='3310268']
What colour crayon??
[/quote]

Tell you what - you can choose, I got a new set for my birthday.

It's got the sharpener in the side of the box too :)

Edited by ahpook

EVERY T-Bird and Ric I've tried sent it's head to the floor as soon as I took my left hand away, I don't want to drill holes, change my strap, play with a pick only, or wrap the strap over the body, as for strap buttons on the neck plate I'd rather deal with neck dive than a bass tipping forwards all the time!

I get gas for T-birds and Rics every few years (less since going all five strings), a quick blast on one in a shop normally sorts me out for a few years :)

First time I've seen a Ric accused of heinous neck dive crimes. I will have to dig mine out later, in the meantime here are some photos of my T-birds refusing to neck dive

[attachment=246426:IMAG0666.jpg]

[attachment=246427:IMAG0667.jpg]

Just returned from my lovely new Thunderbird - my first - and I tried it in a strap as soon as I got through the door. It just hung there, no head dive, and I had deliberately chosen to use a plastic backed Fender strap, to minimum friction to hold it up.

The bass also happens to look and sound amazing, can't believe I've waited so long to get my hands on one, but glad I didn't wit any longer! The T Bird will be gigged tonight!