Why become a member? ×

Hmm.......string packaging!! Status!!

barneyg42

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1495896151' post='3307428']
I used Hotwires for quite a while until a spate of QC issues put me off (e.g. the rattly windings as mentioned by JL). Now an entirely convinced Elixir user.
[/quote]I used to use Status strings quite a bit but got pissed off with dead E strings so gave up on them

Edited by Thunderbird

So now I discover Status aren't selling halfwounds at the moment. As far as I can tell from a quick google, only D'Addario are making halfwounds now.

Unfortunately my trusty Fender has developed a fault with the jack socket. So since I'll have to take it in for a repair, I might as well get them to do a set up at the same time (about time it had one). So I'll get them to put some new strings on. I've sent off for some D'Addarrios - nearly three times the price of the old Status strings, so they'd better be bloody good.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1496408767' post='3311194']
So now I discover Status aren't selling halfwounds at the moment. As far as I can tell from a quick google, only D'Addario are making halfwounds now.

Unfortunately my trusty Fender has developed a fault with the jack socket. So since I'll have to take it in for a repair, I might as well get them to do a set up at the same time (about time it had one). So I'll get them to put some new strings on. I've sent off for some D'Addarrios - nearly three times the price of the old Status strings, so they'd better be bloody good.
[/quote]

I hope you enjoy the D'Addario Half Rounds! Regarding one of the earlier posts in this thread about string packaging, we ship our strings together in one pack for a very specific reason. Informed by D'Addario's desire to be as ecologically friendly as possible we introduced colour-coded ball ends to allow us to ship the whole set in one VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) bag rather than in several separate paper envelopes, thus reducing waste. Each string is individually coiled and sealed in the VCI bag with the others.

One thing that's annoying is that they're not selling single ball medium scale sets. They're about the only thing I like for my Alembic.

Now before someone chimes in with "get something else!" I challenge you to find a set of single ball, medium scale stainless Steel roundwounds with a 105, 85, 65, 45 gauge.

That's right, they don't exist. I found short scales to be too short as I've got a 30.75 scale length and cutting long scales down affected the tone of the E and G strings due to the 2+2 headstock.

Frustrating.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1496426164' post='3311388']
One thing that's annoying is that they're not selling single ball medium scale sets. They're about the only thing I like for my Alembic.

Now before someone chimes in with "get something else!" I challenge you to find a set of single ball, medium scale stainless Steel roundwounds with a 105, 85, 65, 45 gauge.

That's right, they don't exist. I found short scales to be too short as I've got a 30.75 scale length and cutting long scales down affected the tone of the E and G strings due to the 2+2 headstock.

Frustrating.
[/quote]

Newtone? (As in ask for a custom wound set?)

Also, what about DR or do they only do the Nickel Sunbeams in medium scale?

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1496514937' post='3312053']

Newtone? (As in ask for a custom wound set?)

Also, what about DR or do they only do the Nickel Sunbeams in medium scale?
[/quote]

Thanks. Just a bummer about Newtone being almost twice the price of the status strings. Still, worth a try. Have you used them before?

DR don't do them. Neither do D'Addario. Much to my surprise actually.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1496603577' post='3312641']
Thanks. Just a bummer about Newtone being almost twice the price of the status strings. Still, worth a try. Have you used them before?

[/quote]

We come close with the EPS170M set (.045, .065, .080, .100) but not quite the 45-105 you'd like.

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1496648536' post='3312858']

We come close with the EPS170M set (.045, .065, .080, .100) but not quite the 45-105 you'd like.
[/quote]

That's the problem. Everyone does them with an 80. As someone who likes a bit of chunk, the 85 just sounds better for longer. It just seems to make a difference after the first couple of plays. Plus, the tension of an 80 feels slightly wrong to me.

I remember playing a rotosound medium scale set that was (I think) 95-35. Utterly anaemic and I was further put off by the fact I felt like I might snap them as they were so loose feeling. Just awful.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1496654807' post='3312926']
That's the problem. Everyone does them with an 80. As someone who likes a bit of chunk, the 85 just sounds better for longer. It just seems to make a difference after the first couple of plays. Plus, the tension of an 80 feels slightly wrong to me.

I remember playing a rotosound medium scale set that was (I think) 95-35. Utterly anaemic and I was further put off by the fact I felt like I might snap them as they were so loose feeling. Just awful.
[/quote]

Well we wouldn't expect D'Addario's to break unduly, no matter the gauge! :D

We have a wider range of gauges and materials available than just about anyone else but as I'm sure you can appreciate we have to rationalise every string we make available in our catalogue given the significant cost in warehousing and stock it entails. Of course that's where guys like Neil at Newtone come in where they have the facility to build to very specific requirements in small numbers.

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1496655363' post='3312932']

Well we wouldn't expect D'Addario's to break unduly, no matter the gauge! :D

We have a wider range of gauges and materials available than just about anyone else but as I'm sure you can appreciate we have to rationalise every string we make available in our catalogue given the significant cost in warehousing and stock it entails. Of course that's where guys like Neil at Newtone come in where they have the facility to build to very specific requirements in small numbers.
[/quote]

To be fair, they just felt like they might snap. They probably wouldn't have. I changed them immediately after that rehearsal.

I appreciate your stuff a lot actually. You're the only company that makes a set for 12 string bass in the UK. Please don't stop making them as a bespoke set would be ludicrously expensive. Plus, your pro steels are evil and the string sound that has been in my head for years. I was glad to find them. Please don't stop making them either!!

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1496658293' post='3312958']
To be fair, they just felt like they might snap. They probably wouldn't have. I changed them immediately after that rehearsal.

I appreciate your stuff a lot actually. You're the only company that makes a set for 12 string bass in the UK. Please don't stop making them as a bespoke set would be ludicrously expensive. Plus, your pro steels are evil and the string sound that has been in my head for years. I was glad to find them. Please don't stop making them either!!
[/quote]

Yep, we do some pretty weird and wonderful sets! If anyone on Basschat ever has any questions regarding our products please feel free to drop me a line on here or give our UK office a ring on 0191 300 3000.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1496603577' post='3312641']

[/quote]

Yup I have Newtones on all three of my ACGs, two of which are 32" scale. Mine are Nickel would but they are amazing, so much so I got a standard 34" set for my 33" Finn as well :)

Having posted originally on the 26th May I'm still having issues with these damned strings! One of two things have happened. I received the new string and on inspection it is the same as the two duplicate strings sent in the original set. So either 1) I've looked at the duplicates and thought they are A strings so asked for an E but in fact they are E or 2) in fact they are A and I've been sent another instead of an E! I've tried comparing to the set on the bass but they're a different gauge so it's hard to tell. They certainly don't seem thick enough to be E strings, the gauge ordered is 40-125 so 40/60/80/100/125, nothing custom at all. I've sent all three back and requested an A and an E back. My first gig back after being laid up for a while is June 17th, would be nice to get this resolved before then!!!

As much as I can see the economic and environmental reasons for not using separate packaging it just seems it's possibly causing more problems. It was explained that some people like custom sets, fair enough, but then how are the strings stored? Separate drawers, bins, bags? When they were in individual paper bags with the gauge marked on the outside it seemed any problems would just be a case of either the manufacturer packing wrongly or the picker picking wrongly. Now I'm not sure how this works? Either way I'm getting pretty pissed off that the first couple of times I've gone back to Status after the initial problem it's been a PITA!
To add, it may be that the duplicates are E strings and therefore I've requested the wrong string, that would be my fault for sure but they just don't look like E strings!!