Why become a member? ×

Rickenfaker values GOT ONE!

jango

Can anybody tell me how much 70's Jap copies of Ricky 4001's are worth? I'm talking about the decent quality kit with neck through. And how close a copy can I expect certain models to be?

GOT ONE!! A Jetglo 70's faker, bit dog eared but a good player, has nearly all the right features, neck thru, rosewood skunk stripe ,33 1/2 scale, nice action (could be lower but not bad)Stereo outputs, nice weight (re: HEAVY) sounds good. Only has the one truss rod so not completely accurate. Tuners look a bit scatty so they will be changed for some Hipshots. Best part only £260 so not too bad pricewise. Pics to follow.

Edited by jango

[quote name='jango' post='317071' date='Oct 28 2008, 08:50 PM']Can anybody tell me how much 70's Jap copies of Ricky 4001's are worth? I'm talking about the decent quality kit with neck through. And how close a copy can I expect certain models to be?[/quote]

I have bought thru-necks for 200-300 quid and sole them for the same. They're more expensive on ebay, and more expensive if certain brand names are on them.

Some of them are very very close. We A/Bed one of mine with a rick and no-one other than me could tell which was genuine.

Edited by dangerboy

[quote name='jango' post='317071' date='Oct 28 2008, 08:50 PM']Can anybody tell me how much 70's Jap copies of Ricky 4001's are worth? I'm talking about the decent quality kit with neck through. And how close a copy can I expect certain models to be?[/quote]
Like anything else secondhand, they're worth what somebody's willing to pay. Brands like Ibanez will command high prices on Ebay - in the unlikely event the auctions run to completion, although ironically most of the Ibanez-branded copies (there were a number of different versions) were wildly inaccurate.

The most accurate copy I've seen is the through-neck Matsumoku version - these were sold as Aria, Aria Pro II, Univox, Greco, Electra as well as any number of importer names - factories like Matsumoku would use any brand a customer wanted. Anyway the Mat copy is very, very close to the real thing - and pretty rare, probably because so many have ended up wearing Rick nameplates and being sold as the genuine article.

Shaftesbury-brand through-necks are quite common, never had one myself but they seem to be well-thought of. Also I wouldn't exclude bolt-necks if what you want is a playable instrument - it's not uncommon for neck-through Jap basses to have monumentally high - and unadjustable - actions. With a bolt neck you have the option of shimming to adjust the action if necessary.

Most of the 70s JapCrap Rick copies look the part, certainly more so than much of what's around now.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='317825' date='Oct 29 2008, 06:40 PM']Like anything else secondhand, they're worth what somebody's willing to pay. Brands like Ibanez will command high prices on Ebay - in the unlikely event the auctions run to completion, although ironically most of the Ibanez-branded copies (there were a number of different versions) were wildly inaccurate.

The most accurate copy I've seen is the through-neck Matsumoku version - these were sold as Aria, Aria Pro II, Univox, Greco, Electra as well as any number of importer names - factories like Matsumoku would use any brand a customer wanted. Anyway the Mat copy is very, very close to the real thing - and pretty rare, probably because so many have ended up wearing Rick nameplates and being sold as the genuine article.

Shaftesbury-brand through-necks are quite common, never had one myself but they seem to be well-thought of. Also I wouldn't exclude bolt-necks if what you want is a playable instrument - it's not uncommon for neck-through Jap basses to have monumentally high - and unadjustable - actions. With a bolt neck you have the option of shimming to adjust the action if necessary.

Most of the 70s JapCrap Rick copies look the part, certainly more so than much of what's around now.

Jon.[/quote]

Thanks for the info everyone, seems strange to me that Rick would bother to intervene in the sale of a secondhand copy on E-bay :)

There are a couple of neck through's on the bay at the mo, most around the 300 mark, it's definitely what I'm after. I had a go on a real Rick 4001 about 20 years ago and it was a belter, the only copy I've tried was a Hondo II which I had the use of around the same time, I liked it a lot but the differences were huge, the action on the real thing was probably the lowest I've come across before or since.

Think I'll try before I buy, but obviously it's been so long since I tried the real thing that it's doubtful I'd tell how close a copy was.

Bassassin, is there any way (serial numbers etc) to tell if a bass is a Matsumoku?

[quote name='jango' post='317881' date='Oct 29 2008, 07:44 PM']Bassassin, is there any way (serial numbers etc) to tell if a bass is a Matsumoku?[/quote]
Not really - Matsumoku didn't use proper serialisation before about 1975 - in fact I think neck-throughs before then wouldn't have had a number. After then, copies started to be phased out & they used several different methods of numbering.

Really it's the construction & hardware - Mats have twin truss rods - the only Jap copy I've seen which did, and had some distinctive hardware, like the very nice "Wavy Grover" copy tuners, and the not-so-nice crappy little bridge pickup - very obviously designed to be hidden under a cover.

I've had one as a forever delayed project for about the last 6 months, I finally have all the hardware - now all I need is the time, anyway the pics might give you a bit of insight:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19592"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19592[/url]

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='317825' date='Oct 29 2008, 06:40 PM']Shaftesbury-brand through-necks are quite common, never had one myself but they seem to be well-thought of.[/quote]

Mine was okay, neck wasn't as comfy as a real one [not sure if wider, deeper or both, or profile wasn't nice?]. I could have put a Ricky badge on it and fooled most punters but I couldn't be bothered. Sound was like a diluted Ricky if that makes sense - similar characteristics but not as rich. I put loads of wear on mine, body binding came off and I still sold it at a profit due to the demand for them.

Paid £399 (off ebay) for this Ibanez Rickenfaker and although not correct in every aspect (compared to my 76 4001) it is a fantastic bass and worth every penny . It does have ricky-ish sounds bit with the high output Seymour pick up I wasn't expecting it to. The previous owner put the ricky tag on it. [attachment=15397:DSCF2436.JPG] :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='318089' date='Oct 30 2008, 12:23 AM']a local music shop is selling on commission a shaftsbury one for 550.
A bit steep I think, you could get a second hand musicman for that or 4 warwicks these days[/quote]

I keep meaning to go in & have a look at that - might be useful to get a good look at a Shafty. But with that price tag, there's no real hurry - that's just insane, if you dropped lucky you could get a real Rick for close to that.

Darcy - yours is -or was - and Ibanez 2388b DX, these are broadly based on the pre 1973 4001, hence the checked binding & lovely full-width sparkly inlays. This would originally have had Gibson EB3-type mudbuckers, the 4000-style scratchplate will be covering a really big hole! Later Ibby copies had more accurate pickups but also the more conservative current style of inlays.

What's action & playability like on yours? The only one of these I've seen/played really did suffer from a very high action, the only way to rectify it would have been to sink the bridge into the body or fit a lower-profile replacement.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='318261' date='Oct 30 2008, 11:53 AM']I keep meaning to go in & have a look at that - might be useful to get a good look at a Shafty. But with that price tag, there's no real hurry - that's just insane, if you dropped lucky you could get a real Rick for close to that.[/quote]

Wow you're in the burgh too. mev has it in the window at the moment so you dont even have to go in and have a bizzar chat to him.

(for those in it edinburgh mev knows his stuff when it comes to acoustic instruments but is a bit lost with electric basses from the convos i have had with him)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='318089' date='Oct 30 2008, 12:23 AM']a local music shop is selling on commission a shaftsbury one for 550.
A bit steep I think, you could get a second hand musicman for that or 4 warwicks these days[/quote]

Wish this was closer to me, (I'm in Lincs) then I'd pop in to have a go on it. Seems to me that E-bay has killed off most good backstreet music shops. In the good old days there were independant guitar shops in every little town, with loads of secondhand gear to try. Fuggit!

[quote name='jango' post='322224' date='Nov 4 2008, 09:22 PM']Wish this was closer to me, (I'm in Lincs) then I'd pop in to have a go on it. Seems to me that E-bay has killed off most good backstreet music shops. In the good old days there were independant guitar shops in every little town, with loads of secondhand gear to try. Fuggit![/quote]
Back in those days a fakey Rick would've been about £75, not £550, though! Can't help wondering if those days will come back - Ebay is really squeezing the private sellers out, I'd say there's about half as many basses listed per week than there was a year ago & they must be going somewhere.

As far as this one's concerned, I will take a wander in & give it a thrash. :)

J.

• 4 weeks later...

MB1. :)
Was at the merseyside guitar show yesterday and was suprised by the amount of basses resembling a rickenbacker.
P.M.T had 2 Schecter 40s at £195 similarly styled but (active,through body stringing)
Shine now do one too... show price was £450.
They seem to be becoming very popular Fakes!

Edited by MB1

[quote name='MB1' post='341986' date='Dec 1 2008, 03:49 PM']MB1. :)
Was at the merseyside guitar show yesterday and was suprised by the amount of basses resembling a rickenbacker.
P.M.T had 2 Schecter 40s at £195 similarly styled but (active,through body stringing)
Shine now do one too... show price was £450.
They seem to be becoming very popular Fakes![/quote]

This one?

I wonder if that is close enough to the trademark shape to get Mr. Hall's knickers in a twist?

• 1 year later...