Why become a member? ×

Your Requirements For Joining A Band

blue

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1495784618' post='3306488']

You have to remember that this forum covers the whole spectrum with regard to the competence of the bass players who sign up. We have the complete novices, the struggling amateurs (myself included), the working musicians, the successful working musicians and, I would hope, one or two star players with undisputed achievements.[/quote]

Exactly, and precisely why I thought requirements would represent the whole spectrum of players.

Blue

[list=1]
[*]Reasonable travelling distance – rehearsal and gigs, my days of playing the other end of the country are done (could make an exception for a special gig).
[*]Interesting covers set list (NOT the usual pub set list) - been there and done that, and occasionally still do for dep gigs but I need something more stimulating.
[*]Paid gigs – I can’t afford to run at a loss but don’t need to make much profit either. 1 or 2 charity gigs a year are okay if we get fed and watered.
[*]Realistic gig frequency 1-2 per month only - (health issue, family prioritised), not too few either or band gets rusty.
[*]Reasonable musicianship and onstage volume etc – no volume wars between 2 guitarists etc. Current band has 1 mainly rhythm guitarist and vocalist who dabbles with keys.
[/list]

In my experience I am fine with players who have an ego (I think it’s needed for singers in particular) as long as everyone can work together. Likewise if you’re playing music you love, and doing it well, then the FUN aspect is guaranteed to follow.

Having just started/joined a new covers band, and currently being in negotiations with the same lot about joining their established originals band, it came down to one key point:

1. They asked me

However, there's a bit more to it than that in the background and they tick all of my ideal requirements:

2. All band members are of my standard or better (I'm really done with the rhythm guitarist who's a great bloke but can't really play/the singer who can't sing/drummer who can't keep the beat/etc scenarios - it's fine when you're 17 and playing with your mates but they should all have been weeded out by the time you get to my age). Even better if it's going to be a stretch for my playing and make me improve my chops;
3. A clear plan of what the band is doing and how we get there;
4. Music that interests me (I have a reasonably broad musical taste and I'm happy to play anywhere on that spectrum but if I don't like the music then I won't enjoy being in the band and on to point 5...);
5. It'll be fun.

5 probably drives it. This covers all the "no d#ckheads" rules - there are people I've been in bands with who are decent enough musicians that I wouldn't consider ever being in a band with again because i know that it won't take long before they revert to type and I'll hate every minute of rehearsals. Of course you don't always know that going into a new band...but I can be fairly generous in allowing for different personality types, a bit of creative tension, etc. And I know that one of my faults is putting up with stuff/people that I don't like for longer than i should in the stupid hope that it'll all work out and we'll be fine in the long run so it's not like I put my bass down, never to return, at the first sign of it not being fun.

Money doesn't feature at all. These new bands will earn money, to a greater or lesser degree, but that's not important to me in the slightest. I'm not saying that it isn't nice, but this is my hobby, it isn't my career, and even if the bands do very well for their genre it's not going to be a living so I'd rather be happy and skint than miserable with a few quid in my pocket.

Point 4 is a given (I simply wouldn't consider joining a band playing music that I have no interest in) and the rest are possibly a bit negotiable - my favourite band to be in of all time majorly breached Rule 2 but not to the point where it started grating, and if it's a load of fun I'm happy to scrap Rule 4 and just see what happens (though this is less desirable the more experience I have of bands who do have a plan).

The distance thing is a consideration, but not really an issue, if that makes sense. I live in Surrey, and my bands are based on London (where i work). I would say that it's never occurred to me to go looking for a band that I couldn't easily get to...but the truth is that I've always been in the fortunate position of always having been in bands with people i know, so I've never had to go looking for a band - most I've started, and the others I've been asked to join by people who know I can get to rehearsals.

For me, the priorities are quality of the music, and whether it's my sort of thing, absence of idiots (though they can be removed after joining if the rest of the boxes are ticked), frequency of gigs, number of free vs paid gigs, distance, and being able to get along with the other guys. The only bands I've walked away from since moving back to the UK 4 years ago have been because of distance, an hour or more's driving for a rehearsal in the evening is not on unless the band is exceptional. I'll travel further if they can do daytime rehearsals. I wouldn't bother with a band that rehearses every week but hasn't got any gigs booked.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1495793120' post='3306608']
My latest requirement seems to be just letting my mate finally talk me into it :D And being allowed to play guitar :D
[/quote]

Are you easy to convince?

Blue

It would seem that those who don't have money or being paid for their service as a requirement and "fun" is a primary requirement, gigs would not be required or necessary.

I have a good friend who's looking for that right now. He just wants to find people to play with for fun

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1495794118' post='3306624']
For me, the priorities are quality of the music, and whether it's my sort of thing, absence of idiots (though they can be removed after joining if the rest of the boxes are ticked), frequency of gigs, number of free vs paid gigs, distance, and being able to get along with the other guys. The only bands I've walked away from since moving back to the UK 4 years ago have been because of distance, an hour or more's driving for a rehearsal in the evening is not on unless the band is exceptional. I'll travel further if they can do daytime rehearsals. I wouldn't bother with a band that rehearses every week but hasn't got any gigs booked.
[/quote]

Dave,

The caliber of musicians in Milwaukee that I would love to play with is a pretty exclusive group.

Sometime you just can't get to that next level, we just can't figure it out. I don't think I'm alone here.

Blue

Edited by blue

For me the following has to be in place:
1) everyone can play
2) there is nobody involved that I can't stand being in the same room with
3) the band has a coherent plan about what it is going to play, where and what it's target audience will be
4) that I can live with the type of music they play
5) that it will involve playing live

As far as playing is concerned, everyone has to able to do what they need to rather than necessarily be a virtuoso. A band is only as good as it's weakest link,so the weakest player has to be acceptable. However it must be said that there is always an obvious attraction to playing with very good or exceptional players!

It doesn't matter too much if a band will only play a handful of gigs a year, if they are going to be good gigs and they don't expect me to rehearse every week. There plenty of other projects I can be involved with to fill up the diary. The same goes for distance - if the gigs are worth it I'm quite happy to travel. I even welcome getting away from the local scene to play to a different audience and see new places!

Edited by peteb

Interesting thought,

I just realized that if my dream gig ever came along, touring with a headliner internationally, my requirements would go right out the window.

It would be more about what they required from.

I have friend that recently audition for a gig with Cher. He not only had to audition on bass guitar,he had to audition playing piano, guitar and synth bass.

He didn't get the gig and truth be told shouldn't have gotten the audition.He had no touring experience.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1495727616' post='3306186']
That I like the music.

IMO pretty much everything else can be fixed later once I'm in the band.
[/quote]

Are you sure about that?

Your certainly not going to change or fix a person's personality if the two of you can't get on.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1495840865' post='3307073']
In a perfect world I'd rather play with those that don't have other full time jobs.

Blue
[/quote]

Good point. I have found it is difficult to find jamming partners that have time during the day like I have. It's frustrating because there's so much I could be doing to polish my skills as part of a rhythm section if only the percussionERS could come out to play during the day.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1495847747' post='3307087']
Interesting thought,

I just realized that if my dream gig ever came along, touring with a headliner internationally, my requirements would go right out the window.

It would be more about what they required from.

I have friend that recently audition for a gig with Cher. He not only had to audition on bass guitar,he had to audition playing piano, guitar and synth bass.

He didn't get the gig and truth be told shouldn't have gotten the audition.He had no touring experience.

Blue
[/quote]

I wish you hadn't said that. I keep getting images of her and her son playing on a destroyer while she's dressed only in a mankini! Too weird.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1495819705' post='3306895']
Dave,

The caliber of musicians in Milwaukee that I would love to play with is a pretty exclusive group.

Sometime you just can't get to that next level, we just can't figure it out. I don't think I'm alone here.

Blue
[/quote]

No, the music is probably equally divided everywhere, there is a level above regular pub & small festival gigs that seems impossible to get into here as well.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1495874372' post='3307175']

No, the music is probably equally divided everywhere, there is a level above regular pub & small festival gigs that seems impossible to get into here as well.
[/quote]

Dave, Hopefully our gig with Frampton will give me a higher local profile.

Blue

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1495910764' post='3307538']

Oh baby, I hope he loves your way...

:D
[/quote]

Even if I stay backstage, I doubt I will see Frampton. I'm hoping I can use the opportunity to network with local heavy hitters that will be there.

Blue

[quote name='Chaos Daveo' timestamp='1496008534' post='3308122']
Total Enjoyment.

No Divas or Drama.

Band mates better than me to push my limits.
[/quote]

Good requirements.

For those of you that might be auditioning, make sure your diva-ometer is working. These types are easy to spot.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1496017237' post='3308167']
Good requirements.

For those of you that might be auditioning, make sure your diva-ometer is working. These types are easy to spot.

Blue
[/quote]

When you use one of those meters, you have to take into account that American imperial units (Careys) differ from British imperial units (Cowells). European divas are, of course, measured in Björks.

[attachment=246178:Bjork.png]

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1496033989' post='3308185']
When you use one of those meters, you have to take into account that American imperial units (Careys) differ from British imperial units (Cowells). European divas are, of course, measured in Björks.

[attachment=246178:Bjork.png]
[/quote]

My band has a customised Diva meter, the scale goes from zero to Haan. Considerable experience went into the calibration of the unit.