Why become a member? ×

Defretted Warwick and superglue...

bartelby

So, here's my battered Corvette Proline. For those that haven't seen this before I got this bass about 8 or 9 years ago for about £150, from a friend.
It used to belong to a, now, pro player in a metal band. And it got battered by him.
Chips and gouges in the neck and fretboard edge, there were no electronics when I got it. The pickups were wired straight to the output, and the body is cracked.

So over the years I've used it as a project/testbed bass. It's been defretted (with wood filler)... refretted and now defretted again (with wendge veneer). It's been passive, had a MEC 3 band preamp and now all the gubbins is at Barefaced for a bit.

So I took the opportunity to try a superglue coating on the board. It's not perfect, yet. But I've run out of time for the time being. But once I get the electronics back I shall do a few more glue coats (it's had 8 so far) and polish it up as best as I can.

So for now, this is what it looks like. I forgot to take photos of the process...

[quote name='FelixGubbins' timestamp='1495643108' post='3305569']
Looks good already. I've just "finished" a defret of an old maple Hondo II P neck using superglue and veneer but got some white patches. Also found horrible to work with. That said it's a lovely smooth finish but I've kinda given up for now
[/quote]

I did get some white blotches, I thought some moisture may have got under a coat of superglue. I just sanded it back and started again.
There are some small white spots which are where glue dust got stuck in divots.
But as a first attempt I'm pretty pleased already. I thought it was pretty easy to work with tbh.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1495643852' post='3305577']

I did get some white blotches, I thought some moisture may have got under a coat of superglue. I just sanded it back and started again.
There are some small white spots which are where glue dust got stuck in divots.
But as a first attempt I'm pretty pleased already. I thought it was pretty easy to work with tbh.
[/quote]

Think I will have to go back at some point and do the same. Did you use a low or medium viscosity glue? I just used a tube of bostik from Rymans which might have been my mistake.

Edited by FelixGubbins

[quote name='FelixGubbins' timestamp='1495689565' post='3305821']
Think I will have to go back at some point and do the same. Did you use a low or medium viscosity glue? I just used a tube of bostik from Rymans which might have been my mistake.
[/quote]

I had some stuff, from the news agents around the corner, not Bostik but another brand. I tested it on a scrap of prepared wood.
It was pretty low viscosity...
I drew a line across the board with the glue then spread it by dragging the edge of some heavy weight paper down the length of the board.
My 3g tube did about 5-6 coats.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1496838458' post='3314186']
looks good! is there a noticeable difference in tone?

more sustain and treble?

am tempted to do this on my fretless rosewood FB Jazz..... :)

cheers
Roman
[/quote]

Barefaced have all the guts at the moment.
But acoustically notes are a little clearer and there's more sustain, which is what I'd thought would happen before doing this.

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1496839803' post='3314210']
cool. did you apply any masking tape to the edges of the fingerboard, or would you recommend doing that?
[/quote]

I didn't, applying the glue carefully there was very little dripping.
I think the masking tape could cause more glue to wick around the edge.

At the moment it's wet and dry to 1000 grit, then polished up with acrylic polish.

Once the electronics are back in and I can test it properly, I may sand it all back to the wood and start again.
I've honed my technique for applying the glue, and I'm pretty sure the board was, somehow, flatter than the expected 20" radius when I started this.
Which is why the edges have gone through.

So my plan is:
See how is sounds, if good:
Sand back and re-radius the board.
Redo all the glue, wet and dry to a much higher grit and polish more.