Why become a member? ×

New Cort GB Basses.....Opinions

ebenezer

Love the looks of these. I've had a GB94 (called Custom 4 these days I think) and that's my "I wish I'd kept it" bass. Although my tonal taste changed since then and I don't think I would love its sounds as much now - it was very modern. I've had a Lakland 44-02 just a bit later and they are different animals - the Lakland being much mellower. In five string versions, the difference might be even bigger, as Corts are 34" - the B strings are good though, I've tried 75, 95 and Rhithimic 5, no complaints.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1495789058' post='3306545']
I think Cort have upped the game with this one and I am looking to demo the 75JJ or possibly the 75HB that look cracking.
[/quote]

label the reviews clearly so that I can avoid them... the temptation may prove too strong :lol:

Guest ixlramp

But ... these are just yet another Fender copy series.
And they have dropped the Curbow which was the most interesting design they ever made.
All their basses are now P or super-P with little character. They have become bland and boring.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1495643443' post='3305573']
Did Cort used to be Kay?
[/quote]

Not sure if it's still the case, but I believe in the past (1960s, 70s, 80s?) the Cort factory made guitars and basses for many different brands, at varying price points and quality levels, so they may well have made Kay branded instruments (someone please correct me if I've got that wrong!)

[quote name='ixlramp' timestamp='1495833654' post='3307021']
And they have dropped the Curbow which was the most interesting design they ever made.
All their basses are now P or super-P with little character. They have become bland and boring.
[/quote]

This is my Cort Artisan A4 Custom SP. It is a marvellous bass. Bart Mk4 pickups. Bart preamp. Hipshot hardware. Spalted maple top & back. Neck thru. Like a P? Bland and boring?

Edited by Hutton

[quote name='ixlramp' timestamp='1495833654' post='3307021']
[/quote]

Supply and demand. Like it or not Fender inspired instruments sell by the bucket load.

I have a GB Custom 5. It's a truly superb bass but the preamp is the weak point - totally solved by dropping in a John East...this bass is now a 55-02 killer...the quality build of the bass easily parallels all the past Laklands I've owned. Seriously thinking of getting the four string version eventually :)

Cort do make some tremendous instruments. I'd long been aware of the quality of the Artisan series and the GB Custom. I remember trying a Yamaha TRB1006 against a Cort Artisan years ago and even then (probably 12 years ago or more) the Cort was easily the better bass at a time when the TRB was being touted as the answer to everything under £800.

I had a long break from playing any Cort bass until I got hold of a Rithimic earlier this year. I'd seen videos of Jeff Berlin playing them and I considered it a guaranteed way of getting top tone and playability. I wasn't disappointed either. The appointments on this bass are fantastic. Amazing hardware, pickups, a dreamlike neck and lightweight. It's gorgeous too. If goes out of the door for what, £799 or so at a retailer? Slap a Fender badge on it and you could charge over twice that and players would still bite your hand off. Cort have an extremely highly skilled team in house, make no mistake.