Why become a member? ×

Best Acoustic Guitar sub £500

Bass_Guardian

Hi all,

May be buying my first decent acoustic and am hopefully looking to not spend any more than £500 for a decent one. I can play acoustic fairly compentently so not a complete beginner. I've always practised on other peoples acoustics and have a dodgy old tanglewood at home which is horrible to play.

The two brands that have caught my attention most are Sigma and Seagull.

Anyone had any experience with these brands or have other suggestions?

Thanks,

Alex

Edited by Bass_Guardian

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1495545328' post='3304618']
I have no helpful knowledge but I see you're in Scotland. If you're near Glasgow, GuitarGuitar have a large acoustic store which might help you out.

All the best in your search!
[/quote]

Without trying to sound pessimistic I'd rather hear opinions of customers rather than salesmen of their experience first. Sometimes I feel they'll just try to flog you the most expensive instrument for your budget rather than the best.

I may be wrong of course.

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1495546618' post='3304637'] Oh I completely get that, I was meaning that it would give you the best opportunity to try the brands you're keen on in one fell swoop [/quote]

Aye I defo be going there to try out a variety sorry :)

Seagull or any of Godin's other acoustic brands - Norman, Simon & Patrick or Art & Lutherie. Also have a look at some of the higher level Cort guitars. Look for these secondhand, as, with all lesser known brands, the resale value is terrible.

Edited by Mykesbass

I have a Seagull Grand Sunburst GT Q1T. It's a small bodied Parlour guitar with a 14 fret to body neck and built in pickup. It beat similar sized and priced takamine guild and tanglewoods hand down and held its own with a larrivee 3 times the price. Sound and build quality are excellent. When we plugged it into a Roland ac60 the amplified sound was also excellent and really brought out the bass range. We even had someone trying an electric in the next room come in and complain about the volume!

Based on my experience I would definitely recommend Seagull.

If you dont want to spend more than £200 look at the Vintage V300, they are unbelievable guitars in that price bracket.

Edited by pete.young

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1495620972' post='3305310']
Seagull or any of Gordon's other acoustic brands - Norman, Simon & Patrick or Art & Lutherie. Also have a look at some of the higher level Cort guitars. Look for these secondhand, as, with all lesser known brands, the resale value is terrible.
[/quote]

+1, especially for the Canadian brands.

I'm a big believer that you usually get what you pay for with acoustics and price points, so my 'problem' with acoustics at that price is that it's always 6 of one and half a dozen of the other around the tonal qualities.

Lots of great brands and guitars metioned here, and I've either owned or recommended a few of them. My personal favourite was an awesome sub £400 cedar top Art and Lutherie dreadnaught. Soild cedar ages quickly and has a blues type warmth, but that isn't everyone's cup of tea. These days I prefer small body fingerpicking guitars, and my mate has a lovely wide neck small body Sigma for that.

Sorry to state the obvious, but the more you play the more you'll know and then find the one that speaks to you. It could be any of the brands mentioned in this thread.

I have a Faith Mercury which I picked up 2nd hand for well under £500 and every time it is plugged in outside the house sound engineers seem to get very excited. I like it as well.

I'd suggest Simon & Patrick. I've had lots of acoustics in my time, but the old battered S&P I have is the. Eat acoustic I've played (aside from a 1940s Martin or a 60s Fender I had).

They really are wonderful guitars.

I don't own one myself, but several musician pals of mine own a Faith acoustic guitar
They all love them, and one bought his, so he could take it to some gigs, rather than his more expensive Martin... He now prefers the Faith anyway! lol

Another friend recently bought herself a really beautiful dark wood (mahogany?) Faith, and decided her older Faith had to go, to free up some space.... But she has kept her old Faith as well, and sold a lovely Fender strat, as she couldn't part with the Faith

I've played a few Faiths, and though I'm not really a guitarist, they've all sounded lovely, and felt like they're sheer quality construction

Good luck with your search

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1496247093' post='3309916']
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=170125306619001

This has caught my eye...
[/quote]

Great brand, nice colour too. Many of these Canadian ones are satin finishes so can relic easily, guess that depends on your taste.

It's personal preference, but I never liked pickups under the saddle due to the mids they give off. I always prefered spending less on just the guitar and then later, if needed, getting a decent soundhole pickup which mixes a magnet and mic. Still, thousands of others will disagree!

Another Simon and Patrick user here. I got a used one on eBay in good nick with a hard case for not a lot - I think around £200. Sounds lovely - too good for my cowboy chords, anwyay. Guitarist in one band who owns a Martin reckoned it was good vfm, which is quite a good endorsement.

I have a Simon and Patrick 12 string that is very nice.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another guitar from them.

That said, I think it's probably harder these days to buy a crap acoustic for £500 than a good one. A day spent going round Glasgow guitar shops trying out what's in your budget would not be wasted.

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1496247093' post='3309916']
[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=170125306619001"]http://www.guitargui...170125306619001[/url]

This has caught my eye...
[/quote]
That has the same electronics as my Seagull, which is also a Godin brand. The amplified sound will be excellent.