Why become a member? ×

Fender 1969 Jazz Bass For Sale-withdrawn

phsycoandy

This is going to be a wrench as I've longed for an early Jazz for years, but needs are looming.
This is a March 1969 Fender Jazz. In superb playable condition, this is a very well played instrument, I aquired it from a semi pro player who had had it over 20 years. The finish is worn as you can see, there is a tad of fret wear and fingerboard wear, but this is 40 years old and has done countless gigs. The neck is superb and slim and straight. weight is bang on 9lbs on my digital scales.

She is fitted with a pair of EMG active pickups, these have been installed for some time, and a non original bridge. There are NO extra routs under the pickguard as the battery is under the control plate.
The eq is in my opinion very passive in sound and nothing like the active system on my GB, so she retains a very passive tone across both pups, and plays with a huge and even warmth across all the strings.

This is a bass with a great default tone and is why she has seen so much action over the years. All the wear is totally due to natural play wear. The serial number is commensurate with the Fender web site dating system. Gig bag included.

I welcome Pm'd offers. I will ship at buyers expense and will insist on insurance or welcome anyone come and try her here (Ipswich) area. I really don't want to ebay this.

Edited by phsycoandy

She's a beauty. Jazzes just don't look right unless they've got mop block inlays IMO.

Shame you don't have the original hardware, or rather that it's an issue - after all everybody knows that stock Fender hardware is garbage but the collectors seem to like having it in a drawer somewhere while they're gigging a bass that actually works. :)

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='317034' date='Oct 28 2008, 08:10 PM']Beautifull bass you have there.
How Rock n Roll is that neck shim.Any idea's on what vintage the Embassy No1 packet is.

where's mi coat. :ph34r:[/quote]The Embassy shim was there when I got her! who knows how long its been there, but Im sure its 100% original and has no extra routs!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='317046' date='Oct 28 2008, 08:23 PM'][/quote]

**Ring Ring**

"Hello...WoT it's for you, it's 2003 on the phone, it wants it's memes back", what next; "All your bass are belong to us?"

I'd agree though I don't think original Fender hardware is garbage at all.

Anywho, what a bass, IMNSHO the definite fantasy bass.

Edited by Mr Cougar

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='317297' date='Oct 29 2008, 10:03 AM']**Ring Ring**

"Hello...WoT it's for you, it's 2003 on the phone, it wants it's memes back", what next; "All your bass are belong to us?"

Anywho, what a bass, IMNSHO the definite fantasy bass.[/quote]

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='317034' date='Oct 28 2008, 08:10 PM']Beautifull bass you have there.
How Rock n Roll is that neck shim.Any idea's on what vintage the Embassy No1 packet is.

where's mi coat. :ph34r:[/quote]

I can tell you that the one in my P is from an Embassy Envoy packet - remember those? From the brief time of NSM fags. I put it there myself. Date that !!!

The jazz is a pearler is it not. I'd so like it to match up with my P but I just can't get on with the off set body somehow. I'll just have a ball looking at the pictures.

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='317297' date='Oct 29 2008, 09:03 AM']**Ring Ring**

Anywho, what a bass, IMNSHO the definite fantasy bass.[/quote] Mr Cougar you break me up! im not sure I get all the inuendos but heh!

now on ebay [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=140279320804"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=140279320804[/url]

will accept £1975 shipped to a Basschatter to avoid the dreaded paypal fees.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='320506' date='Nov 2 2008, 09:52 PM']now on ebay [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=140279320804"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=140279320804[/url]

will accept £1975 shipped to a Basschatter to avoid the dreaded paypal fees.[/quote]

Do you know how much would it be worth if it were fully original? (genuine question [I’m not trying to be a prick], I have no real idea of the value of old Fenders and I am genuinely interested to know)

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='320658' date='Nov 3 2008, 08:11 AM']There was a black Jazz went on ebay a week or two back a 64 from memory for £3200 i believe.[/quote]

If that was completely original then that was a VERY good price in my opinion. I would have thought that a refinned 64 would fetch that.

[quote name='birdy' post='320844' date='Nov 3 2008, 12:26 PM']If that was completely original then that was a VERY good price in my opinion. I would have thought that a refinned 64 would fetch that.[/quote]
Is mine too dear? I would have thought you could source the pups etc for a few hundred quid, that was how I calculated the asking price with that in mind, that someone would either have already or could get the required bits, it does however sound fine as it is.

Suppose I could do that aswell but cant be arsed plus I need the cash!

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='320861' date='Nov 3 2008, 12:44 PM']Is mine too dear? I would have thought you could source the pups etc for a few hundred quid, that was how I calculated the asking price with that in mind, that someone would either have already or could get the required bits, it does however sound fine as it is.

Suppose I could do that aswell but cant be arsed plus I need the cash![/quote]

Hi Andy, I was in no way intimating that your bass was too expensive :-)

I was saying that a 64 original jazz in a custom colour would usually go for a lot more than £3200 and so whoever bought it would have got a very good deal.

I am not really sure what your bass is worth as I am no expert but I didn't whince when I saw your price and if I was after a late 60s jazz would certainly be considering it.

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='320871' date='Nov 3 2008, 12:52 PM']Hi Andy, I was in no way intimating that your bass was too expensive :-)

I was saying that a 64 original jazz in a custom colour would usually go for a lot more than £3200 and so whoever bought it would have got a very good deal.

I am not really sure what your bass is worth as I am no expert but I didn't whince when I saw your price and if I was after a late 60s jazz would certainly be considering it.

Steve[/quote]Thanks Steve I didnt think it was far out.

[quote name='Jebo1' post='320957' date='Nov 3 2008, 02:23 PM']The Black jazz bass in question was dubious, looked like it had had a refin and the neck looked off in the photos. Difficult to tell, but the seller seemed like a nice chap all told.

For the 69, a bridge will cost you £120 easy, and the pickups £3-400, with the pots coming in (if you're really that anal about it) at about £100.

Shop price I'd be expecting an all original 69 Jazz to come in at around £2,500 with the original case and covers.

I'd say the price you're asking is top whack for what looks to be a good example. On that basis, good luck with the sale![/quote]
I'd be pleased if you could send me a link to a 1969 Jazz at "shop price £2500", they seem rarer than rocking horse poo at that price if non existant. This was put on sale as a nice playable OLD Jazz, either as it is or a project for someone now or in the future, whatever, I think the price aint far out, ive seen mid 70s on BC go for £1200-1500 in the past.

Edited by phsycoandy

[quote name='Jebo1' post='320957' date='Nov 3 2008, 02:23 PM']The Black jazz bass in question was dubious, looked like it had had a refin and the neck looked off in the photos. Difficult to tell, but the seller seemed like a nice chap all told.

For the 69, a bridge will cost you £120 easy, and the pickups £3-400, with the pots coming in (if you're really that anal about it) at about £100.

Shop price I'd be expecting an all original 69 Jazz to come in at around £2,500 with the original case and covers.

I'd say the price you're asking is top whack for what looks to be a good example. On that basis, good luck with the sale![/quote]

I would agree with you there, I would expect this to fetch between £1500 and £2000 top wack, all original £2500 to £3000. At the moment the market has slowed down a little, (not surprisingly!), I for instance am not buying and there are some good bargains comin up!

I think you would be lucky to get dated 69 pots for £100, especially as 69 was not a bumper year for Fender ouput, bridge should be no big deal as there are no markings to show what year it came from so how can you tell it's a 69?, pickups were the same over a number of years so could be found for about the price you mention.

Nice Bass though, hope you get a good price.