Why become a member? ×

What period/style of music inspired you to start playing?

TheGreek

I see lots of posts where people say "Joe Bloggs...great player...great inspiration" - half of the people I've never even heard of.

Never a great fan of Punk or Heavy/Prog Rock, for me inspiration came from the late 70s and early 80s with the funk/soul rise - bands like Light of the World, Cameo and Rose Royce. Later inspired by Reggae and lovers rock with Sly & Robbie and Aswad.

For you?

Punk was my inspiration. Probably like many a kid in that era, along came a style of music that for one sounded alive and like nothing I`d ever heard before, and secondly, that if I put a bit of effort in, I`d maybe be able to play it.

I would say the 2 tone music of the late seventies and early eighties. Madness were a great influence. Later, the plectrum powered basslines of Bruce Foxton became the main reason I picked up the bass.

Punk was my biggest influence as a young kid (when other eight - ten year olds were listening to the death of disco I was into the pistols thanks mainly to an older brother), but to start playing was the likes of Iron Maiden then the Grunge explosion.

I was heavily into pop-punk when I started playing - Blink 182, Greenday and The Offspring were my favourite bands; though whilst learning I probably played Rage Against The Machine abmnd Red Hot Chili Peppers the most.

No surprises from me. Jefferson Airplane, Fairport Convention, Grateful Dead, Traffic, Family, [s]Edgar Broughton Band[/s] (No, on second thoughts, not the Edgar Broughton Band... :lol: ), Soft Machine, Magma, The Floyd, Martin Spicer Band, Porpoise, Pentangle... I could go on. Heady times. B)

Mum's old LP records of country music, 60s soul and old 50s rock n roll probably kickstarted my interest in music as a small boy. However it was the short lived Glam / Sleaze scene of the 80s that inspired me to actually start saving for my first instrument. I've probably spent most of my playing career trying to get back to those roots of the first records I've heard, whilst still having a soft spot for the guys who made me want to play too.

60s pop and the Blues Boom originally, then The Police with there version of Reggae gave me a whole new perspective, but it took me into drumming, from guitar. For the last 5 or 6 years it has been Funk that has inspired my bass playing.

First picked up a bass in '78 - I was 15/16, listening to punk/new wave and the uglier end of heavy rock at the time. But it was going to my first-ever gig, a local pub-rock act called The Warm Jets, that made the real difference. I came out deafened, sweaty and smiling, going - I wanna [b]do[/b] that.

Me & my two mates formed a band as we walked home, deciding who would play what - I chose bass because I was a Stranglers fan. :D Funnily, we all got involved in bands subsequently but never actually played together.

Motown seeping into my pre-teen sub-conscious, been with me ever since. Along with
the usual other stuff - Stones, Beatles etc. and then later on country / r 'n'b / blues.
Wish I'd started playing bass sooner, as I spent many years learning piano and then being a
fairly average guitar player. Should have realised I was predominantly listening to the bass lines of
most of the music I was absorbing, but hey-ho I eventually got there!

For me it was the ska revival in the very late seventies and very early eighties. All the 2 Tone bands and players like Horace Panter, David Steele and Mark Bedford attracted me, as well other bass players of the time like Paul Simonon and Sting.

As I was about 11 at the time I couldn't afford a bass guitar and amp (that came later when I started earning money) but I did have an old acoustic guitar and I'd play along to the records on the bottom strings.

If I had to pin it down to one song that really grabbed me, it would probably be The Business by Madness, the instrumental B-side of Baggy Trousers.

http://youtu.be/DuLbcqzmURo

64, pretty simple it was 1964 starting with The Beatles & The Stones. Just about any rock & roll that came out of England during that time period.

That's when it all started for me. I've always and only play bass guitar.

Blue

Edited by blue

+1 for Madness. Roped into doing the 'Our House' Musical in a school production. Third time I ever played in front of an audience Chris Foreman (Chrissy Boy) was in to see what the school version was like. Terrified. He was lovely afterwards when I asked him how the bass was. He said I played better than he did. Then he added he was the guitarist. :mellow:

90s Swedish Death Metal... until At the Gates killed it off by releasing something so good everyone else gave up... including them...

No music really inspires me these days, I never really listen to other people's music if I'm honest.

I love to play music though :)