Why become a member? ×

CIJ Precision

GarethFlatlands

Hopped off the bus yesterday and saw a nice Fender P in a shop. I went in today for a look at it and it's a CIJ (forgot to make a mental note of the serial number for dating purposes), one chip to the paintwork but otherwise in excellent condition. Black body and pickguard and maple neck, pickups look like upgrades as they're Bass Lines branded and the bridge is a Badass 2 so definitely not stock. It played really nice but I didn't plug it in.
They're asking £400-450 for it as it's a commission sale. Is this a reasonable amount? And how are the CIJ instruments regarded generally?

Any pointers appreciated.

Yeah, I have a spot on Japanese Jazzmaster that (apart from the stock pickups) holds it's own against any other I've tried and for 1/3 of the cost but my overall knowledge of CIJ stuff is limited. I didn't want to take the plunge only to find that the basses were made in a different factory and were all garbage. An extreme worry I know.

I have no idea of the model number unfortunately but £450 on ebay seems like the lower end of the 50's/60's reissues so it seems reasonable, although the non stock components would arguably dent the resale value.

i wouldn't worry about it being a badass bridge, its a straight replacement if you ever wanted to put the OE one back on, and they're nothing special.I'd buy it, if it were me.

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1495463408' post='3303913']
i wouldn't worry about it being a badass bridge, its a straight replacement if you ever wanted to put the OE one back on, and they're nothing special.I'd buy it, if it were me.
[/quote]

Well I'm me, and I did buy it :D

Bit of a rattle coming from somewhere but otherwise can't fault it. My first P!

A couple of terrible pictures. The shop had it in stock for a while so they rang the seller and he went to £400! Bargain.

Thinking about swapping the Duncans out for something else, possibly Hot Rods (formerly Wizard pickups). Worth it or not really?

Edited by GarethFlatlands

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1495985808' post='3307924']
A couple of terrible pictures. The shop had it in stock for a while so they rang the seller and he went to £400! Bargain.

Thinking about swapping the Duncans out for something else, possibly Hot Rods (formerly Wizard pickups). Worth it or not really?

[/quote]

I think so, Wizzards/Hot Rods much more inkeeping with the traditional P-bass vibe. Great looking bass btw, the coolest P-bass colour combo I think.

Edited by Lozz196

Absolutely lovely - I also think this is the most attractive colour combination - despite migrating to 5 string basses I still have a JV Squier in these colours that is simply the nuts.

Swapping the pickup for something else will depend entirely upon the sound you want it to make. For me the 'old school vintage' P bass tone comes from a Fender 62 reissue Original pickup. The old Wizard Trad was very similar, don't know what the Hot Rod equivalent is like. I had a bitza in this colourway and fitted a Ki0gon loom which made testing all different types of pickups much easier.

Yeah, for me jazzes have to be sunburst/rosewood and Ps have to be black/maple. I'll see how I get on with the Duncan's before I make any decisions.

The neck will take some getting used to, it's pretty fat compared to other basses I've had but the overall feel is so good I'll persevere. And this thing is clean, the neck feels barely played and the fretboard still has that shine to it.