Why become a member? ×

Just one pedal?

lowdowner

If you want fun, get an octave divider.

If you want something to make life easier, get a stage tuner.

Otherwise, I'm a bare-bones kind of player, though.

I might spring for a dedicated compressor at some point, but I doubt I really need one.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1495302238' post='3302869']
@Blue

He didn't say effects in the OP

Just pedal so I reckon tuner and compressor is allowed especially as some doncolour your tone
[/quote]

Ok, my board is relatively loaded, I think around 7 pedals. The only ones that get much use are an EBS Multi-Comp and Corona Chorus from TC Electronics.

If it's just one pedal I would go with OD or Chorus.

Blue

[quote name='plankspanker' timestamp='1495279682' post='3302665']
Why is no-one saying compressor? I've never owned one or any other effect but it's the sort of thing I keep thinking I ought to get without really knowing why. I've watched a lot of compressor demo videos but the A/B difference is usually slight (to my old ears) so would it even be noticeable in a live band?
[/quote]

Compressor would be my first suggestion for anyone but in this case the OP asked for 'fun/wow factor'... compression is great but it's very sensible and practical. Like buying someone new school shoes for their birthday!

[quote name='plankspanker' timestamp='1495279682' post='3302665']
Why is no-one saying compressor? I've never owned one or any other effect but it's the sort of thing I keep thinking I ought to get without really knowing why. I've watched a lot of compressor demo videos but the A/B difference is usually slight (to my old ears) so would it even be noticeable in a live band?
[/quote]

Hah! Completely agree with where you're coming from. I've been inclined to be a bit of a compressor denier over the years and appears I'm not alone in that regard on this forum... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/248974-to-compress-or-not-to-compress/"]http://basschat.co.u...ot-to-compress/[/url] but I've had some really thought through and helpful input from a couple of BCs on the subject which I really ought to pull together soon and share - I'm definitely starting to come round to benefits of compression.

But agree with skej21 that it doesn't qualify as "fun" (unless you're the sort of person that likes to iron their socks).

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1495340547' post='3303044']
your first pedal should be a multi
coz you need a tuner but that is not fun nor wow, just necessary
then u can try all the other effects to see what your next pedal buy will be
it doesn't end :)
[/quote]

+1 for that. I think that sums it up, perfectly. If you're getting a multi, my experience / advice is to avoid the cheaper end (Zoom MS-60B) and get something decent you can use and grow with (e.g. Zoom B3 - second hand or B3n).

Edited by Al Krow

it doesn't end

:)
[/quote]

Completely agree. If you don't know what you want then it has to be a multi to give you a chance to try out what different effects do.

If a "multi" is not allowed then I will add I will not play without compression and drive, those are the two essentials for me.
I was a "compressor-denier" for over 20 years but simply cannot now deny how much a GOOD compressor makes me sound. I also play rock so a bit of drive is almost essential for most of that if you want an authentic sound IMO.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1495357938' post='3303144']
If a "multi" is not allowed then I will add I will not play without compression and drive, those are the two essentials for me. I was a "compressor-denier" for over 20 years but simply cannot now deny how much a GOOD compressor makes me sound. I also play rock so a bit of drive is almost essential for most of that if you want an authentic sound IMO.
[/quote]

Sounds like you and I should start a "compressor-deniers' anonymous" (CDA) sub-group and meet up once a month...

it doesn't end

:)
[/quote]
This x100, my B3 is still on the pedal board but is used for stuff I don't need very often. I have a couple of pedals the B3 models, one more on it's way and I still looking out for another 3 pedals, one of which is also on the B3 plus the ones I have that the B3 doesn't do. Endless as you say.......

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1495293259' post='3302786']
Get a bitcrusher. I really like the iron ether frantabit. The mooer lo-fi machine is also good, and I also have my eye on the meris ottobit jr.
[/quote]

I just got a frantabit and it's incredible! But I wouldn't have it as my only pedal, I feel it gives a little extra to so many effects, plus it's crazy fun to mess with. To answer the OP question I would say an octave pedal OC2 ideally

If only had to have one pedal it would be a compressor... I really don't get this weird aversion some people seem to have towards them...

As others have said though, you might be better getting a good multi-effects pedals so you can decide what really floats your boat...

Agree with the multi-effect route and the compressor responses. I started with a Zoom b3 to find the art of the possible/desirable, then went to a board of separate pedals to compete with my guitarist. I currently have a TC Electronic Nova multi-effects with a compressor and line splitter. If I had to keep one it would be the NOVA.

For me it would have to be a good versatile drive pedal.

Just depends on what you are trying to achieve with pedals... I own a Zoom B3 and it is a great creative tool. It lives next to my practice amp in my studio as a quick plug&play "board".

Interesting to see what different people have put here.

A tuner is a must but that doesn't need to be a pedal, could be headstock.

I use a little chorus and compression where needed but I could live without.

The one pedal that has lasted for me and that I use nearly every gig is an octave. Used to use an OC2 but now use the MXR bass octave deluxe. It's one of those pedals (octave in general, not just the MXR) that solo'd you're not always sure where to use it but set correctly for the application is so musical.